* Animal Collective (DJ Set)
"Music is my savior
I was tamed by rock and roll
I was maimed by rock and roll
Got my name from rock and roll"
-Wilco

MyLifeISought

My thoughts:
I've been to quite a few festivals, and Lollapalooza 2008 was the best. Period. Top to bottom, I saw an unthinkably good three days of music--Radiohead, Okkervil River, Broken Social Scene, The National, Wilco, and, surprisingly, Kanye were among the best individual shows I've ever seen. So it's not a surprise that 2009 would be a letdown. But really? The Killers headlining main stage? Depeche Mode, while wonderful, is obviously a huge step down from Radiohead. There are real standouts here (LOU FUCKING REED?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? And TVotR, Andrew Bird, Decemberists, Fleet Foxes, Bon Iver, of Montreal, Neko Case)
But this lineup simply isn't as deep as 2008. Not at the top, not in the middle, not even at the bottom. The dance tent is the clear improvement (Simian Mobile Disco!!!!!!). But on the whole this seems to be an off-year for what I think (sorry, Bonnaroo!) is America's finest festival.
"Music is my savior
I was tamed by rock and roll
I was maimed by rock and roll
Got my name from rock and roll"
-Wilco

mjkoehler

There are enough good acts to really tempt me. Must think, plot, and sweet talk.

Depeche Mode
Jane's Addiction (if the original lineup which I think it is)
Beastie Boys
Kings of Leon
Lou Reed
Andrew Bird
TV on the Radio
Neko Case worth it alone for me.
Band of Horses
Arctic Monkeys
Ben Folds
Fleet Foxes
Silversun Pickups
Kaiser Chiefs
Bon Iver
Dan Auerbach
Glasvegas
The Airborne Toxic Event
Living Things (local St Louis band, gotta love 'em)

el_chode

QuoteMy thoughts:
I've been to quite a few festivals, and Lollapalooza 2008 was the best. Period. Top to bottom, I saw an unthinkably good three days of music--Radiohead, Okkervil River, Broken Social Scene, The National, Wilco, and, surprisingly, Kanye were among the best individual shows I've ever seen. So it's not a surprise that 2009 would be a letdown. But really? The Killers headlining main stage? Depeche Mode, while wonderful, is obviously a huge step down from Radiohead. There are real standouts here (LOU FUCKING REED?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? And TVotR, Andrew Bird, Decemberists, Fleet Foxes, Bon Iver, of Montreal, Neko Case)
But this lineup simply isn't as deep as 2008. Not at the top, not in the middle, not even at the bottom. The dance tent is the clear improvement (Simian Mobile Disco!!!!!!). But on the whole this seems to be an off-year for what I think (sorry, Bonnaroo!) is America's finest festival.

My general sentiments are that festivals are becoming increasingly cool for those of you who live near their location, but are never worth the travel time to get there for everyone else.

Even Perry said last year that he doesn't know how much longer this whole trend will last since they're running out of bands to reunite.
I'm surrounded by assholes

goose

QuoteMy thoughts:

My general sentiments are that festivals are becoming increasingly cool for those of you who live near their location, but are never worth the travel time to get there for everyone else.

Even Perry said last year that he doesn't know how much longer this whole trend will last since they're running out of bands to reunite.

I think the festivals that are going to survive ar eth elittle ones.  bonnaroo last year was a little big.  I think as long as a festival stays small in nature, and it's not "cool" to be there, it will be a great time.
Hooked on four like one, two, three

Penny Lane

hopefully the prices start coming down (for bonnaroo at least)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

megalicious

* Cage the Elephant

it is so cool seeing these guys play lollapalooza again. i used to party with them back in the day... they're all from bowling green, ky. pretty cool dudes.
all facts begin as dreams dreamt by the wizard

el_chode

QuoteMy thoughts:

I think the festivals that are going to survive ar eth elittle ones.  bonnaroo last year was a little big.  I think as long as a festival stays small in nature, and it's not "cool" to be there, it will be a great time.

Very true. Or if it caters almost exclusively to the traditional jam-based audience since their fans are more likely to travel anywhere and everywhere and probably be open to the most variety of music. Lollapalooza aside (since it's traditionally the indie rock festival), I like going to them to go from some noise-rock artsy fartsy shit to mandolin infused bluegrass to latin jazz. I guess when I look at the line up I don't look at the names as much as the styles they represent, and lately they sound like your typical college radio station.
I'm surrounded by assholes