happy birthday, roy oribson

Started by slimsloslider, Apr 23, 2009, 12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slimsloslider

yr missed. yr the bee's knees.

Leontheslut

Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

ALady

It's probably not considered among his best work, but I'll always remember discovering and loving Roy from his part in the Traveling Wilburys.  Was just watching a documentary about them the other night and was as always, struck by the beauty and uniqueness of his voice.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Vadie Stark

Dead people don't celebrate birthdays.
We celebrate the anniversaries of their birth.Why?
...... There is usually no cake.....
Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

Crispy

I'll bet the guy who likes to write stories about wrapping Roy Orbison in clingfilm is celebrating his birthday

http://michaelkelly.artofeurope.com/karl.htm
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

slimsloslider

which is the better band? the traveling wilburys (george harrison, zimmy, petty, roy, and jeff lynne) or the band that backed up roy for the black and white night show (the boss, tom waits, elvis costello, bonnie raitt, jackson browne, kd lang). i've always loved the wilburys, but you could make a case for the black and white night line-up being just as solid on paper.

weeniebeenie

QuoteIt's probably not considered among his best work, but I'll always remember discovering and loving Roy from his part in the Traveling Wilburys.  Was just watching a documentary about them the other night and was as always, struck by the beauty and uniqueness of his voice.
There's some really cool Wilbury's footage in the dvd Runnin' Down A Dream.
How loud can silence get?

Vadie Stark

Quotewhich is the better band? the traveling wilburys (george harrison, zimmy, petty, roy, and jeff lynne) or the band that backed up roy for the black and white night show (the boss, tom waits, elvis costello, bonnie raitt, jackson browne, kd lang). i've always loved the wilburys, but you could make a case for the black and white night line-up being just as solid on paper.
no you can't

slimsloslider

- well, tom waits has a flawless resume, in my opinion. he's always thrived as an artist by keeping it weird in ways that lynne's ELO and some of george harrison's latter-day material were very commercial

- elvis costello has done a great deal to preserve good music either by making it or writing about it for over 30 years. he may not be as successful as tom petty in the states since they both came about in the late 70's, but i think he's been more willing to take risks.

- if you go to a springsteen show today, you WILL be entertained. his contributions to rock and roll cannot be overstated.

i should say here and now that i'm not convinced that the band that backed roy up on a black and white night are superior to the wilburys, i just thought it would make for a good debate.

Vadie Stark

It is good subject for debate and you make many valid points. I have seen many of the artists involved some many times.
Just the cool factor involved with the Wibury's 8-) and the fact we lost Roy during :'( makes it a no contest for me ;) but I'd Love to hear everyone's opinion.

ALady

QuoteIt's probably not considered among his best work, but I'll always remember discovering and loving Roy from his part in the Traveling Wilburys.  Was just watching a documentary about them the other night and was as always, struck by the beauty and uniqueness of his voice.
There's some really cool Wilbury's footage in the dvd Runnin' Down A Dream.

No kidding?  I really need to watch that, I've heard such good things.  Thanks for the heads up!
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

aMillionDreams

Roy had a voice like velvet.  One of the best voices ever.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

red

Quotewhich is the better band? the traveling wilburys (george harrison, zimmy, petty, roy, and jeff lynne) or the band that backed up roy for the black and white night show (the boss, tom waits, elvis costello, bonnie raitt, jackson browne, kd lang). i've always loved the wilburys, but you could make a case for the black and white night line-up being just as solid on paper.
That Black and White Night backing band is ridiculous (and superior to the Wilburys).  You can't leave out James Burton, the left-hand man of db's father.  

dragonboy

QuoteYou can't leave out James Burton, the left-hand man of db's father.  
You know it K!  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I only have a 2 disc best of by Roy Orbison. Any fav albums?
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.