Main Menu

Coheed & Cambria

Started by Nikkogino, May 16, 2009, 10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikkogino

Any love for this band?  I never gave them the time of day due to the lead singer's voice.  I thought they were some strange emo band.  However, I bought Good Appollo Volumes 1 & 2 after seeing some good album reviews and am enjoying the shit out of it.  
First of all, any other fans in here?
Secondly, should I buy the first two albums (Second Stage Turbine Blade & Secrets of Silent Earth: 3)...are they as hard rocky or more trendy-emo?  

Bob Loblaw

I got mad love for Coheed.  I would definitely recommend their earlier releases as well.  There are certain themes within their music that originate in those earlier releases, so they're a must have.

red

I still stand by SSTB as one of the few masterpieces of the noughties.  Now, I only care for about a third of IKSSE:3, and I found their last two releases beyond atrocious.  

Nikkogino

QuoteI still stand by SSTB as one of the few masterpieces of the noughties.  Now, I only care for about a third of IKSSE:3, and I found their last two releases beyond atrocious.  

That's interesting because I have been listening to some of SSTB on  youtube and it seems to be kinda lame emo-sounding.  Maybe I should give it a shot.  I don't know, I highly enjoyed the newest two...they seem more "classic" rock sounding and not as whiny.  Anyone else have any thoughts on this strange band?

Ghosts_on_TV

I talked to their guitar player about the band the darkness for about an hour once. We were both completely shitfaced though. I like em.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

MMJ_fanatic

QuoteAny love for this band?  I never gave them the time of day due to the lead singer's voice.  I thought they were some strange emo band.  However, I bought Good Appollo Volumes 1 & 2 after seeing some good album reviews and am enjoying the shit out of it.  
First of all, any other fans in here?
Secondly, should I buy the first two albums (Second Stage Turbine Blade & Secrets of Silent Earth: 3)...are they as hard rocky or more trendy-emo?  

Buy everything they've put out (including No World for Tomorrow)--it is all great.
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Nikkogino

Coheed has a new song on the new Batman videogame soundtrack about Batman & Joker's relationship....actually pretty good:
Coheed and Cambria: Deranged (with lyrics)

el_chode

Different take here: I saw them open for the Juliana Theory, a pre-programmed emo band. This was my at the drive-in stage, when C&C seemed to me to be little more than a emoish rip off wanna be ATDi. Automatically at 3 strikes

Then I started working at a local guitar shop, and we had some dude who looked like a guitar center employee working there. Turns out he was and used to work with one of the C&C guys at guitar center, and the guy was a douche.

I realize it's anecdotal, but to me it all sounds too forced. I'm also permanently scarred by all things emo - growing up in the nexus of long island and new brunswick NJ, every other band coming up in the late 90s/00s was forcing the emo. every annoying person i ever met was some emo douche. I cannot stand emo, and any band that ever once dabbled in it is to me forever tainted with the stink of forced NJ pop punk whiney pseudo musicianship. That goes equally for gaslight anthem, trying to disguise their emoness with springsteen overtures and that other band that was all ska-like emo and is now like "look, we're not emo because we finally grew some balls, lost the whole "above the drugs angle" and smoked a j and made a bunch of 7-12 minute rambles that go nowhere and still whine".

/end rant
I'm surrounded by assholes

e_wind

Quote from: el_chode on Sep 18, 2011, 07:56 AM
Different take here: I saw them open for the Juliana Theory, a pre-programmed emo band. This was my at the drive-in stage, when C&C seemed to me to be little more than a emoish rip off wanna be ATDi. Automatically at 3 strikes

Then I started working at a local guitar shop, and we had some dude who looked like a guitar center employee working there. Turns out he was and used to work with one of the C&C guys at guitar center, and the guy was a douche.

I realize it's anecdotal, but to me it all sounds too forced. I'm also permanently scarred by all things emo - growing up in the nexus of long island and new brunswick NJ, every other band coming up in the late 90s/00s was forcing the emo. every annoying person i ever met was some emo douche. I cannot stand emo, and any band that ever once dabbled in it is to me forever tainted with the stink of forced NJ pop punk whiney pseudo musicianship. That goes equally for gaslight anthem, trying to disguise their emoness with springsteen overtures and that other band that was all ska-like emo and is now like "look, we're not emo because we finally grew some balls, lost the whole "above the drugs angle" and smoked a j and made a bunch of 7-12 minute rambles that go nowhere and still whine".

/end rant

gaslight anthem is really good. I saw them open up for Polar Bear Club in 08 on election day for like 7 bucks with 25 kids and it was also awesome. (Anyone who knows Polar Bear Club - at the end of the show the lead singer got a text message that Obama was our new president and they played Election Day, great show.) I haven't listened to Gaslights newest release but I do love their first album and that EP Señor and the Queen. then again, growing up I had a heart full of punk and poppunk even. (Saves The Day - Through Being Cool is the most perfect pop punk album ever, and I guess pretty emo) I guess I like some emo bands now that I think about it.

I used to LOVE coheed when I was 15-ish and In Keeping Secrets was out. I remember Welcome Home coming out on Good Apollo and thinking it was awesome, but I "outgrew" my love for them and haven't heard them in a few years. That song from batman does not make me want to look into them again
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Ghosts_on_TV

There are some good "emo" bands. Then fall out boy got big, and all of those bands tried to sound like them. And they sucked to begin with. Thursday is a good band. I still love Jimmy Eat World. Brand New is really good. It's not all shitty.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

e_wind

I'm a big fan of Brand News first 3 records. Daisy not so much.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

el_chode

Funny thing is if you perused my iTunes library you'd think I was a huge fan of all the bands I just shat upon. I think the most I could tolerate today would be Sparta

mjk73

emo is Cursive. Not this shit that's out that is presented as emo.

Not a fan of C&C. I have a friend who tries to cram these guys on me because of their supossed "awesome" guitar. I'm not that impressed with their guitar nor their lyrics nor their voals.

ManNamedTruth

/end rant

What band are you talking about in that last part?
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

YouAre_GivenToFly

I liked the first 2 albums from this band a lot. Was big into them when I started college (2005-2006)... even went to a show. Wasn't a big fan of their last 2 albums... but honestly haven't listened to them more than twice each.

Didn't their bassist recently get arrested for robbing a CVS pharmacy for Rx meds?
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

el_chode

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Sep 18, 2011, 08:20 PM

/end rant

Many. Going as far back as Mars Volta (found it fairly boring, despite being a huge ATDi fan), or Rx Bandits since they're constantly getting pushed on me by all my 30-something friends desperately clinging to their youth trying to justify listening to an emo-ska band still, or any number of local jersey acts.

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: el_chode on Sep 19, 2011, 04:35 PM
Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Sep 18, 2011, 08:20 PM

/end rant

Many. Going as far back as Mars Volta (found it fairly boring, despite being a huge ATDi fan), or Rx Bandits since they're constantly getting pushed on me by all my 30-something friends desperately clinging to their youth trying to justify listening to an emo-ska band still, or any number of local jersey acts.

That's who I thought you were talking about. Suspect timing and strange choice of not even mentioning the band's name. They're not emo-ska, and their music isn't whiney (at least their new stuff isn't, witch I'm more familiar with). They were young when they started, all I listened to back then was punk and I'm probably around the same age as these guys. I like that they changed their style, I just think they're simply making music that reflects what their into now. What if Bob never lit up that j for The Beatles? I don't think their jams go nowhere, they sound much more cohesive than most actual jam bands out there.
I understand what you mean about people clinging on to their youth. I know a lot of people who listen to the same NOFX and Bouncing Souls albums they listened to in High School, they haven't grown in their musical tastes whatsoever. I think it's unfair to lump this band into that category, when they've still released new shit.
I like to think everyone is entitled to their opinion, and shouldn't get so defensive about something like this. You're such a music snob though and I just can't help it. The way you didn't mention the band's name, and posted about them in an unrelated thread when I just started a topic for them rubs me the wrong way.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!