Mogwai Fear Satan...

Started by dragonboy, Feb 15, 2008, 12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonboy

QuoteSo, I just purchased Young Team...how have I made it this far without listening to these guys? I'm very disappointed in myself...Mogwai Fear Satan is KRUNK>>>>>>
Good man Easy Way! Yeah Fear Satan is just amazing! Did you get the new remastered/deluxe edition? The sound quality wasn't so good on original pressings of Young Team...the sound is way too quiet, which is kind of ironic when you consider they're one of the loudest bands playing live today.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

easy way

QuoteSo, I just purchased Young Team...how have I made it this far without listening to these guys? I'm very disappointed in myself...Mogwai Fear Satan is KRUNK>>>>>>
Good man Easy Way! Yeah Fear Satan is just amazing! Did you get the new remastered/deluxe edition? The sound quality wasn't so good on original pressings of Young Team...the sound is way too quiet, which is kind of ironic when you consider they're one of the loudest bands playing live today.

Oh yeah...the remastered quality is killer. Of course I have no basis for comparison, but what I'm hearing right now is absolutely amazing.
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

dragonboy

Yeah I need to get that...I really resent buying the same CDs twice but what you gonna do?  :(
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

red

I listened to this song for the first time about a month ago.  I may or may not have drove customers out of the store with my fist-pumping.

red

QuoteYeah I need to get that...I really resent buying the same CDs twice but what you gonna do?  :(
Send it to Canada in exchange for some sweets and PayPal'd dollars.   ;)

dragonboy

If I do update then this copy has your name on it  ;D

QuoteI listened to this song for the first time about a month ago.  I may or may not have drove customers out of the store with my fist-pumping.

It wasn't one of those High Fildelty moments where everyone asked who was playing & then bought the CD when you told them? I thought you worked in a cool record shop?  ;)

Tree

Since MMJ cancelled their shows in Europe I'm going to see them again playing in Frankfurt. This time with another great Scottish band The Twilight Sad.. Seriously check them out! Great stuff!
Yeah, Mogwai became one of my favorite bands in the past months but I still need to buy Happy Songs..., Ten Rapid and the eps especially the My Father My King single.
Their new record is amazing but the DVD on the Limited Edition was really disappointing. I thought that the "Making of" on Mr Beast was really cool but this time the DVD is just disappointing. Also the artwork of the limited edition is nothing special.

Btw. are their any Oceansize fans here? Great band from Manchester, UK! Some people around here would love their sound!

dragonboy

Cheers Patches, I'll check out those other bands!

How do you rate the Mogwai albums/EPs that you have? Which is your fav?

Tree

QuoteCheers Patches, I'll check out those other bands!

How do you rate the Mogwai albums/EPs that you have? Which is your fav?

Just check out these videos (Oceansize):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTsnXZNFIjk (Catalyst)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-odLXeaFXT0 (Women Who Love Men Who Love Drugs (!!!!!!!!))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD_0Ngs3fE8 (Meredith)

Well, I have:
Young Team
Mr Beast
Come On Die Young
Zidane OST
The Hawk Is Howling
Rock Action

Hmm I don't have a real favorite one but there are some albums that get more spins e.g. Mr Beast and Rock Action. I love all the albums but I think that Zidane and CODY are quite inaccessible. But those albums still have some beautiful songs on it.

easy way

QuoteIf I do update then this copy has your name on it  ;D

QuoteI listened to this song for the first time about a month ago.  I may or may not have drove customers out of the store with my fist-pumping.

It wasn't one of those High Fildelty moments where everyone asked who was playing & then bought the CD when you told them? I thought you worked in a cool record shop?  ;)

I really like that song....'Dry The Rain'
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

dragonboy

QuoteSince MMJ cancelled their shows in Europe I'm going to see them again playing in Frankfurt.
What are they like live? Must be good if you've seeing them again...they're in Tokyo early next year.
Do they play the songs pretty straight (like on their albums) or do they improvise/extend at all?

Tree

QuoteSince MMJ cancelled their shows in Europe I'm going to see them again playing in Frankfurt.
What are they like live? Must be good if you've seeing them again...they're in Tokyo early next year.
Do they play the songs pretty straight (like on their albums) or do they improvise/extend at all?
Well, they're really loud. It's the loudest band I've ever seen and they do play their songs live pretty straight. but it's a different experience than listening to one of their albums especially Mogwai Fear Satan...you have to feel the vibrations! ;)

cuppat

you have to feel the vibrations! Wink

Quite literally. Just saw Mogwai end of last month in Manchester UK.

Never felt the bass and kick drum pound into my body like that before.

Encore - Mogwai fear satan followed by Batcat. Astounding.

DavidCrosby

QuoteAND I'VE SEEN THEM PLAYING THIS SONG LIVE!!  ;)

..me too and it was incredible, Mogwai was probably one of my favorite shows I went to this year...
listen to vinyl

Tree

Tonight!  :)
I'm so excited! I hope they play Hunted By a Freak!

dragonboy

Have a good one Patches, please tell us about it when you get back  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]  

Tree

QuoteHave a good one Patches, please tell us about it when you get back  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]  
Thanks man! :)

dragonboy

There's a good article about them in this month's MOJO...I had no idea that Teenage Fanclub's Brendan O'Hare was their drummer for a while...

Tree

WOW! What an evening! Amazing concert I enjoyed bnoth bands but te sound during the Twilight Sad gig was not clear enough. The voice was a bit difficult to understand but still a great show.

The setlist was something like this:

The Precipice
Friend of The Night
Scotland's Shame
Cody
Tracy
I Love You I'm Going To Blow Up Your School
Ex-Cowboy
I'm Jim Morisson, I'm Dead
Helicon I
I Know You Are But What Am I?
LIKE HEROD
Batcat
----------
Hunted By A Freak
We're No Here
"Noise"

This time no Satan but the new Songs work very well especially Batcat and The Precipice (!!). But my highlight of the evening was Like Herod. Holy shit I was standing right in front of Stuart and the Sound (especially the bass) almost blew my cap off the head. It was Loud as hell!
Go and see them!

dragonboy

Cheers Patches! Pleased you had a good time!

I saw the setlist for a recent London show & there was no Satan then...I wonder if they've grown tired of it & have taken it out of the loop for this tour?