Main Menu

Wilco DVD

Started by JDAMRON, May 21, 2009, 04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LEATHER KID

Anyone got this yet?  Ever since I was at the show at the Ryman and saw all the cameras I've been waiting the release.  The musicianship in those guys is unbelievable.  I'm very glad I gave them another shot cause they didn't really grab me the first few times I heard them.
IT'S ALL FUCKIN' CHEESE!!

Penny Lane

i got the new one. i think there's another thread somewhere.

they are rebroadcasting Wilco's Sky Blue Sky performance tonight (at least around here) just FYI  also josh ritter again on Live from the Artists Den.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Love Dogg

I read that it is as good as The Last Waltz.  Of course we all know that NOTHING is as good or better than The Last Waltz, but I get that it is good.

My question:
I'm not that familiar with Wilco but I recognize that they are a fine band with great musicianship and songwriting.  Is this a good introduction to Wilco?  Is this dvd going to be the thing that sucks me in?
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

TheBigChicken

QuoteI read that it is as good as The Last Waltz.  Of course we all know that NOTHING is as good or better than The Last Waltz, but I get that it is good.

My question:
I'm not that familiar with Wilco but I recognize that they are a fine band with great musicianship and songwriting.  Is this a good introduction to Wilco?  Is this dvd going to be the thing that sucks me in?
As good as The Last Waltz.....ummmmm....NO.....that's without even seeing Wilco's dvd....Van the man....McKinley Morganfield...Clapton....who could even compare the two?
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

ManNamedTruth

QuoteI read that it is as good as The Last Waltz.  Of course we all know that NOTHING is as good or better than The Last Waltz, but I get that it is good.

My question:

No, its not as good as the Last Waltz. I like the new Black keys DVD better than Wilco's, in fact.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

LEATHER KID

No it's not as good as the Last Waltz nor is it Okonokos but being right behind this two isn't a bad place to be.
IT'S ALL FUCKIN' CHEESE!!

bold99

It's not as good as the last waltz of course but I understand the comparison.  Most Live DVD's like the Black Keys live DVD is just a live performance.  The Last Waltz and the new Wilco DVD have a little more than a performance.  The way they filmed the Wilco DVD is great, and they basically made the road and the venues the focal point of the movie.  It is slowly making its way to my favorite music DVDs.  I think its outstanding.

Love Dog, This DVD might suck you in if you are not familiar with them but I'd watch their other movie first, I Am Going To Break Your Heart....that will do it...and then make your way through their albums up to this new DVD and new album.  They are hands down one of my favorite bands around.

Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

Love Dogg

QuoteIt's not as good as the last waltz of course but I understand the comparison.  Most Live DVD's like the Black Keys live DVD is just a live performance.  The Last Waltz and the new Wilco DVD have a little more than a performance.  The way they filmed the Wilco DVD is great, and they basically made the road and the venues the focal point of the movie.  It is slowly making its way to my favorite music DVDs.  I think its outstanding.

Love Dog, This DVD might suck you in if you are not familiar with them but I'd watch their other movie first, I Am Going To Break Your Heart....that will do it...and then make your way through their albums up to this new DVD and new album.  They are hands down one of my favorite bands around.

Thanks 99...that's what I was looking for.
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

ALady

QuoteIt's not as good as the last waltz of course but I understand the comparison.  Most Live DVD's like the Black Keys live DVD is just a live performance.  The Last Waltz and the new Wilco DVD have a little more than a performance.  The way they filmed the Wilco DVD is great, and they basically made the road and the venues the focal point of the movie.  It is slowly making its way to my favorite music DVDs.  I think its outstanding.

I'll definitely agree with this.

QuoteLove Dog, This DVD might suck you in if you are not familiar with them but I'd watch their other movie first, I Am Going To Break Your Heart....that will do it...and then make your way through their albums up to this new DVD and new album.  They are hands down one of my favorite bands around.

But I have to disagree with this.  I absolutely love I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, but it's not going to give you a good idea of what this band is about now.  They were struggling with so many things musically and personally during IATTBYH; in my opinion they've emerged as a much different, albeit stronger band, and they are at the height of their powers right now.  I think that the new DVD is as good a place to start as any.

Also, I think they're a band that's great on record, but ten times better live.  So the new DVD (which is mostly made up of SCORCHING live performances) is a pretty good way to get a feel for them (as opposed to IATTBYH, which is a lot of studio work and behind-the-scenes drama, which is great too, don't get me wrong).

Just my rambly and inarticulate two cents   ;D
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

bold99

I'll definitely agree with this.

QuoteLove Dog, This DVD might suck you in if you are not familiar with them but I'd watch their other movie first, I Am Going To Break Your Heart....that will do it...and then make your way through their albums up to this new DVD and new album.  They are hands down one of my favorite bands around.

But I have to disagree with this.  I absolutely love I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, but it's not going to give you a good idea of what this band is about now.  They were struggling with so many things musically and personally during IATTBYH; in my opinion they've emerged as a much different, albeit stronger band, and they are at the height of their powers right now.  I think that the new DVD is as good a place to start as any.

Also, I think they're a band that's great on record, but ten times better live.  So the new DVD (which is mostly made up of SCORCHING live performances) is a pretty good way to get a feel for them (as opposed to IATTBYH, which is a lot of studio work and behind-the-scenes drama, which is great too, don't get me wrong).

Just my rambly and inarticulate two cents   ;D

Right I agree with what you said but I thought he was just asking for something to introduce wilco and start listening to them, not what they are about now.

Personally when I get into a band I never listen to their most current album or work, I want to know where they came from and how they progressed...just like when people ask me about MMJ I usually don't give them Evil Urges.

Also even though they were going through a lot during the first movie they produced arguably their best work and its a movie that I tell people even if your not into Wilco you will enjoy because its such a good story and interesting...but I think either DVD would suck me in if I weren't that familiar with them cause they are just that good.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

ALady

Right I agree with what you said but I thought he was just asking for something to introduce wilco and start listening to them, not what they are about now.

Personally when I get into a band I never listen to their most current album or work, I want to know where they came from and how they progressed...just like when people ask me about MMJ I usually don't give them Evil Urges.

Also even though they were going through a lot during the first movie they produced arguably their best work and its a movie that I tell people even if your not into Wilco you will enjoy because its such a good story and interesting...but I think either DVD would suck me in if I weren't that familiar with them cause they are just that good.

That's a good point, and I'd agree.  

But I think the new DVD is a better intro because it's going to make you want to go out and see that band NOW, and catch up on the rest of the catalog later.  It's also sort of a nice overview of the band since it contains songs off (almost?) all their records.

Eh, see 'em both, Love Dog   ;D  And then buy Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Love Dogg

That's a good point, and I'd agree.  

But I think the new DVD is a better intro because it's going to make you want to go out and see that band NOW, and catch up on the rest of the catalog later.  It's also sort of a nice overview of the band since it contains songs off (almost?) all their records.

[highlight]Eh, see 'em both, Love Dog   ;D  And then buy Yankee Hotel Foxtrot[/highlight].

Will do!  Thanks, ALady.