Glen Hansard discusses Jeff Buckley

Started by red, Nov 29, 2008, 01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red

This made my week & will hopefully make yours:

http://fuelfriendsblog.com/listenup/Buckley%20Tributes/Glen%20Hansard%20discusses%20Jeff%20Buckley.mp3

I think I'm going to head downtown tomorrow & pick up Sketches for My Sweetheart the Drunk.

dragonboy

Thanks K, excellent interview & song!

Sketches is good but the songs are just that...sketches, demos, works-in-progress.

The extended Live @ Sin-é is probably my 2nd fav Jeff Buckley release after Grace.

Such a terrible shame that he's not still with us  :'(
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

red

QuoteThanks K, excellent interview & song!

Sketches is good but the songs are just that...sketches, demos, works-in-progress.

The extended Live @ Sin-é is probably my 2nd fav Jeff Buckley release after Grace.

Such a terrible shame that he's not still with us  :'(
Thanks for the info dB!  I've been really obsessed with Grace this week & just need something more.  Crazy that Tom Verlaine was (at one point) producing Sketches.  Such an amazing title for a record, hey?

I'm just in the middle of watching the DVD that comes with the extended Sin-é.  Love that release to pieces.  Maybe I'll take my copy of Grace tomorrow & trade it in for the extended version.

I hope I can bow out singing something as great as the chorus to "Whole Lotta Love".

Hi Jeff! Wherever you are.   :'(

MarkW

There's something I need to get off my chest, and this might be the thread in which to do it.

I've just read that Simon Cowell has selected the winner's song for this year's X-Factor in the UK.  And it is... wait for it... Hallelujah.

Yes.  Cowell thinks that the no-talent fuckwit who wins his cretinous moron-fest will bring a new interpretation to the Cohen classic, already covered masterfully by Buckley.

Words fail me.   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

mjkoehler

Hey Mark, you mentioned Simon Cowell and fuckwit in the same sentance. Isn't it a law in the UK that you have too? If it's not, shouldn't it be?

Thanks for the link K.

MarkW

QuoteHey Mark, you mentioned Simon Cowell and fuckwit in the same sentance. Isn't it a law in the UK that you have too? If it's not, shouldn't it be?

Thanks for the link K.

It really should be the law.

Thanks for the link, K - excellent.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

red

QuoteCowell thinks that the no-talent fuckwit who wins his cretinous moron-fest will bring a new interpretation to the Cohen classic, already covered masterfully by Buckley.
Some chump from the last installment of American Idol covered it in an episode.  I immediately pulled out Grace & showed my Mom how shit's really done.  

tomEisenbraun

QuoteCowell thinks that the no-talent fuckwit who wins his cretinous moron-fest will bring a new interpretation to the Cohen classic, already covered masterfully by Buckley.
Some chump from the last installment of American Idol covered it in an episode.  I immediately pulled out Grace & showed my Mom how shit's really done.  

My favorite, though, is the Mystery White Boy version.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Jaimoe

Rufus Wainwright does a great version and k.d. Lang does a suprisingly good version of Hallelujah too.

Ghosts_on_TV

Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

red

been (slowly) digesting sketches for my sweetheart the drunk over the past week or so.  'satisfied mind' just floored me.  imagine having heard that playing at the end of his funeral (which it was).  

:'(

PapaJoeBear

DOnt know much jeff buckley, but my fav song I've heard him on is this...\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCqOLxAiVTE

Backed up by Shudder to Think, no less.

weeniebeenie

I love Be Your Husband and If You Knew.
How loud can silence get?

red

i keep finding myself listening to this.  glen hansard seems like a great man.  

hey jaimoe, i know you're a frames fan - what's a good starting point with them?

Jaimoe

Quotei keep finding myself listening to this.  glen hansard seems like a great man.  

hey jaimoe, i know you're a frames fan - what's a good starting point with them?

I'm a big Swell Season fan (Glen with Marketa Irglova - the duo from Once) and a Frames fan. If you haven't seen Once, then wait til you see it before you get the soundtrack.

As for Frames albums, a good starting point is their excellent live album Set List. It's an excellent presentation of their earlier highs and it shows why they are revered in Ireland as that nation's top live band. Stick to AMG once again regarding your next purchase.

mjkoehler

I have yet to find anything bad from the Frames. You cannot go wrong with any of their albums.

ALady

I agree with Set List as an excellent starting point, though; good call, Jaimoe.

I first saw them as an opener for Damien Rice and then a few more times when they came through town on their own.  They were so good, but I couldn't get anyone interested in them; I remember one time I had an extra ticket I couldn't give away.

Then, of course, Once hit...I shudder to think how hard it'll be to get tickets next time they come through!   ;D
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

dragonboy

Out this week:

Nearly fifteen years ago, the world was introduced to a young singer/songwriter from New York named Jeff Buckley. His debut album Grace became one of the most acclaimed and influential albums of his generation. To promote the album, Jeff and his band embarked a seemingly un-ending tour - taking them all over the globe from 1994 to 1996. Because the album had no "hit single", Jeff was constantly tinkering with his setlists - both on stage and on TV. He therefore performed almost every track from Grace at least once in his many appearances on local broadcasts around the globe. Now, for the fi rst time, the very best of those performances have been tracked down and compiled into the definitive audio/visual document of the Grace world tour. Limited Deluxe Edition also includes a 24-page booklet, 2-sided fold-out poster, three photo print postcards, and a backstage laminate.

Limited Deluxe Edition also includes a 24-page booklet, 2-sided fold-out poster, three photo print postcards, and a backstage laminate.

DVD: AMAZING GRACE: JEFF BUCKLEY
This hour-long independent documentary investigates the power behind Jeff Buckley's musical legacy and finds revelation at its heart--the fans. The film includes rare performances, exclusive video footage and interviews with all four Jeff Buckley Band members, friends, family and colleagues, as well as artists (composer, painter, dancer and singers) who pay tribute to how Jeff inspired them. Produced and directed by first-time filmmakers, the documentary screened at 25 film festivals worldwide (Seattle International Film Festival, Cinequest, CMJ, etc.) and won four awards, including best music documentary and best film.

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

capt. scotty

Looks pretty sweet. I dont own any of the legacy/deluxe editions of any of his albums and have been wanting to get some more JB. I might spring for this.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

NoVa_NoLa

Thought some of y'all might be interested in this recording that a friend, absolute master taper, and all around good guy made:   :)

POSTED:  BARN100 * DO NOT MISS THIS ONE * - Jeff Buckley CBGB's 313
Posted by: "Scott Bernstein"
Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:25 pm (PDT)

For the 100th entry in my BARN series I had to dig a little deeper and pull out something a little different and outside of the normal Jamband stuff that I tend to gravitate towards -- something with a little more appeal to the masses.
How about a pre-fame show from a singer who was taken from us suddenly and at too young an age, who many consider to be somewhat of a genius?

Jeff Buckley only got to release one album (+ 1 EP) during his short lifetime, before he drowned at the age of 30 so he does not have a huge legacy.

Through a somewhat strange set of circumstances I was at CBGB's Gallery for a different band and was tipped off that I should really stick around and tape the Jeff Buckley set....and am very glad that I did....and now I'm presenting this classic recording I made of a future genius on his way up to you as the special 100th edition of my BARN series....

Read lots more about the background of this recording and download it here:

http://www.dimeadoz en.org/torrents- details.php? id=371176

Enjoy!