Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King

Started by Ghosts_on_TV, Apr 10, 2009, 01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghosts_on_TV

Not a lot of DMB fans on here, I know, but I have a feeling this album is going to be amazing. Plus considering that Stand Up sucked major ass, that only makes it better...

P.S. Like DMB or not, this video is sad....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgZXnkbVX4o[/media]
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Murph

I'm with you on this one.  Last time DMB had Tim Reynolds in the studio with them they was for Before These Crowded Streets, which really is an incredible album.  I will be very interested to see how this one comes out.  If it ends up sounding anything like Stand Up, I might just be done with DMB forever, which really will be kind of sad for me  :-/

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteI'm with you on this one.  Last time DMB had Tim Reynolds in the studio with them they was for Before These Crowded Streets, which really is an incredible album.  I will be very interested to see how this one comes out.  If it ends up sounding anything like Stand Up, I might just be done with DMB forever, which really will be kind of sad for me  :-/

Weather or not you'll like this album, I don't know, but it will sound NOTHING like Stand Up. Trust me on this one.

NoVa_NoLa

QuoteNot a lot of DMB fans on here, I know, but I have a feeling this album is going to be amazing. Plus considering that Stand Up sucked major ass, that only makes it better...

That was sad.  And, I hope that the new record is good.  I was more than a casual fan for a long time.  This is the 2nd tour in more than 10 years that I am not ticketed for a single show.  Without LeRoi, I wasn't sure what they would come up with...I just hope that it's good.

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteNot a lot of DMB fans on here, I know, but I have a feeling this album is going to be amazing. Plus considering that Stand Up sucked major ass, that only makes it better...

That was sad.  And, I hope that the new record is good.  I was more than a casual fan for a long time.  This is the 2nd tour in more than 10 years that I am not ticketed for a single show.  Without LeRoi, I wasn't sure what they would come up with...I just hope that it's good.

You should go to one. Last years tour was amazing, with Roi and without. Also, Roi is all over this album, but He only got to hear 4 of the finished songs before he passed away. He is on more than that though. And that clip I posted is a trailer for the DVD that is coming with the deluxe edition of the album, and word on the street is the DVD is pretty kick ass. Oh, and the single drops tomorrow as well.  :)

Murph

http://impactradio.net/music/player.htm

...thats a link to streaming audio of a couple songs from the other night at MSG including three new songs which are Funny The Way It Is, Spaceman, and Why I Am.  After one listen, I'm really digging the new songs, particularly Why I Am.

Ghosts_on_TV

xmascriminal

That is sad, not only because he died but because they're using it for publicity.  That's the way I see it anyway. Besides that, this album is going to suck. They had a whole record's worth of great/really good  dark songs:  #27, Eh Hee, Shotgun, Can't Stop, Break Free, A Dream So Real, The Idea of You . . . Even Cornbread, which I really didn't like, was a hell of a lot better than the three songs I've heard from this record. Maybe I'm just in a bad mood. DMB does that to me. I love Before These Crowded Streets and I thought they were going to make an album I loved just as much finally. Instead: time for some more stupid shit. Lame.  ::)

Ghosts_on_TV

That is sad, not only because he died but because they're using it for publicity.  That's the way I see it anyway. Besides that, this album is going to suck. They had a whole record's worth of great/really good  dark songs:  #27, Eh Hee, Shotgun, Can't Stop, Break Free, A Dream So Real, The Idea of You . . . Even Cornbread, which I really didn't like, was a hell of a lot better than the three songs I've heard from this record. Maybe I'm just in a bad mood. DMB does that to me. I love Before These Crowded Streets and I thought they were going to make an album I loved just as much finally. Instead: time for some more stupid shit. Lame.  ::)

I disagree with pretty much everything you said. Using Roi's death for publicity? That footage is from the DVD coming with the album. Something as life changing/Band changing as Roi, a founding member of the band, dying midway through making this album and you expect them not to talk about it? Thats foolish. Also, the deluxe version of Big Whiskey is coming with an ep of studio versions of at least some of those songs, Shotgun being the only on I know for sure is on there (and the best song from that batch) I'm hoping Sugar Will is on there as well. You really think Can't Stop is good?  

xmascriminal

I disagree with pretty much everything you said. Using Roi's death for publicity? That footage is from the DVD coming with the album. Something as life changing/Band changing as Roi, a founding member of the band, dying midway through making this album and you expect them not to talk about it? Thats foolish. Also, the deluxe version of Big Whiskey is coming with an ep of studio versions of at least some of those songs, Shotgun being the only on I know for sure is on there (and the best song from that batch) I'm hoping Sugar Will is on there as well. You really think Can't Stop is good?  

Since you disagreed with everything I said, it's only natural that I disagree with everything you said. Of course they're going to talk about Roi's death, but it makes me very uncomfortable that it's in the commerical so prominently, as if this is their TRIUMPH OVER GRIEF album. That's explotation, plain and simple. They're using their sadness for him to validate the record. It just bothers me, that's all. Also I didn't know about the EP, and that's good news, but those songs should have been the album themselves. They're too good to stick on a deluxe edition. From what I've heard, the songs they've played from this album are more deluxe album/b-side quality. I really doubt I'll spend the money to buy the album just to get the EP. Maybe in a few years. As for Can't Stop, it's not great, but I like it. Kind of like Spoon. Not an awesome song, but a nice one.

Ghosts_on_TV

It's cool man, to each their own, just don't ever compare Spoon and Can't stop ever again.  ;D

Actually, the super deluxe edition of it includes...

Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King
Bonus Ep
DVD
T Shirt
Lithographs
Photo Album

And the two best shows (hands down) of 2008, if not ever...

Live Trax 15, Alpine Valley Music Theater, East Troy, WI

8/09/09

Dancing Nancies             
Seek Up             
Proudest Monkey ...>            
Satellite                    
So Damn Lucky                    
Bartender                   
Corn Bread                   
Spoon                   
Eh Hee ...>                   
Water/Wine Jam             
Burning Down The House             
Louisiana Bayou                   
Anyone Seen the Bridge ...>            
Too Much (Tease) ...>                  
Halloween                    
Water/Wine Jam             
Out of My Hands             
Crush                    
Money             
You Might Die Trying                    
Ants Marching                   
E: Don't Drink the Water                   
E: Two Step

and....

8/10/08

Warehouse
Granny
Pantala Naga Pampa »
Rapunzel
Old Dirt Hill (Bring That Beat Back)
The Stone
Crash Into Me
Gravedigger
Rhyme & Reason
Stay or Leave
The Dreaming Tree
Sledgehammer
Stay (Wasting Time)
Lover Lay Down
Jimi Thing
Grey Street
So Much to Say »
Anyone Seen the Bridge »
Too Much [fake] »
Lie in Our Graves »
Too Much
Tripping Billies
-----------------------------------
I'll Back You Up [tease] »
Cornbread
Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)

xmascriminal

Those are some pretty nice setlists actually. I'm much more likely to get a DMB live release if it has Halloween on it. Plus, I'm always interested in having another version of Eh Hee. And the idea of a studio version of Shotgun does sound good (I REALLY hope A Dream So Real made it) so, bitterness aside, how much would all this wonderment cost me?

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteThose are some pretty nice setlists actually. I'm much more likely to get a DMB live release if it has Halloween on it. Plus, I'm always interested in having another version of Eh Hee. And the idea of a studio version of Shotgun does sound good (I REALLY hope A Dream So Real made it) so, bitterness aside, how much would all this wonderment cost me?

Not sure, the pre order will be up very, very soon though. I do know that there will be different versions of it to order, so say you don't want the shirt or something, you don't have to get it. It's also going to available on vinyl...I'd say for everything, probably like $50ish? Music today rapes you on shipping charges though.

Also, some people with whom I speak with on the net have heard the album already, and all say that it's awesome. Even one who has  connections to the band and has been saying that he didn't think it'd be the album we've been waiting for for what, 10 years now? He said it's great. Take what you will from that. 8-)

xmascriminal

Okay, I'll check it out. Thanks. I'd definitely skip at least the t-shirt and the photo album, so that should make it more affordable. I'd be buying it for the live shows and the EP though, not for the album itself.

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteOkay, I'll check it out. Thanks. I'd definitely skip at least the t-shirt and the photo album, so that should make it more affordable. I'd be buying it for the live shows and the EP though, not for the album itself.

No problem. I wouldn't give up on this album just yet though. You should also check out a show this summer, the spring tour is a warm up for them, this summer is going to be a MONSTER tour. Trust me.

Ghosts_on_TV

Best since Before these Crowded Streets, hands down. I'm even suprised how much I like this album, I wasn't sure if they really still had it in them. Carter is NUTS on this album.

NoVa_NoLa

Thanks for the reminder, Ghosts.  Gonna pick this up during lunch today.  Just got invited up to do the SPAC shows...decisions, decisions.   :)

Hawkeye

I was at the first Alpine show (amazing, and I'm not even really a fan), and I'll be buying it on the strength of that show alone...can't wait to hear the show from Sunday night and the album proper too!
We could.

Ghosts_on_TV

Actually, they changed the live album to just the first night at alpine, which kinda sucks, but also doesnt cause that show is fucking amazing. Also, you had to pre order from the bands website to get it.(For free anyways, it's going to be on sale as well) THe super deluxe is well worth it though. Got mine today, it's very well put together.

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteThanks for the reminder, Ghosts.  Gonna pick this up during lunch today.  Just got invited up to do the SPAC shows...decisions, decisions.   :)

Decisions? Fuck that! Go! This tour is going to be amazing!  :D