dan auerbach (black keys) solo album out today

Started by wallstreet, Feb 10, 2009, 04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the sun and moon

I finally bought his new album! I'm late, I know and It is fantastic! I loooove it. I don't think I even have a favorite song.

Murph

Quotedan and band in studio at KCRW (from the steam engine):
http://thesteamengine.blogspot.com/2009/03/dan-auerbach-live-in-session-on-kcrw-fm.html

WOOowww......can't stop listening to it

kydiddle

QuoteHighlight of SXSW: going to a random hippie house party that Dan played at 3am.  Insanity, tequila.  I still can't quite believe it.

Oh my jealousy is overflowing.
Cow temperature.

capt. scotty

For me, the highlights are "When the Night Comes" (Otis Redding needs to come back from the dead to cover this song) and "Mean Monsoon"

Im listening to Keep It Hid and for some reason you saying this stuck with me and I remembered it, but as I was listening the song I thought I remembered you saying it for was Whispered Words (Pretty Lies). Put the Funk Brothers on the instruments and I could totally see The Temptations or Percy Sledge or Otis singing this song.

Its funny though, because I agree When That Night Comes has that vibe too, and I think Mean Monsoon does too and a couple other electric songs do as well, such as My Last Mistake. You'd expect it to be more blues oriented, and some are, but they really harken back to that period possibly moreso. If youre just listening to the album, I dont think its all that apparent, but if you're trying to find a motown or old school R&B underlying sound, its there - even in the lyrics. Mindblowing.  :o

And like I started out saying, first time Ive listened to this in probably over a month, and just as good as when I first heard it. I really like this album.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Love Dogg

I finally got this record...and I love it!  
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

Penny Lane

QuoteI finally got this record...and I love it!  

it's my favorite album of 2009 so far hands down. trouble weighs a ton....it really does...HAUNTING
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Sidus

Just bought tickets for his show on 24th of May in Amsterdam (in the Melkweg)  :D. I'm going with my dad, hope he likes it ;). Just listened to that KCRW radio show with Dan Auerbach and the band and it sounded very good. I like the album and I'm a fan of the Black Keys, so it's going to be a enjoying show for sure :). Does he play some Black Keys songs as well? Havent seen the Black Keys live yet, really need to catch them when they're in Holland again.

Penny Lane

QuoteJust bought tickets for his show on 24th of May in Amsterdam (in the Melkweg)  :D. I'm going with my dad, hope he likes it ;). Just listened to that KCRW radio show with Dan Auerbach and the band and it sounded very good. I like the album and I'm a fan of the Black Keys, so it's going to be a enjoying show for sure :). Does he play some Black Keys songs as well? Havent seen the Black Keys live yet, really need to catch them when they're in Holland again.

no black keys songs (that i recall) but he'll play most of keep it hid, many of those songs are just as good or better!! :-) i haven't stopped listening to that album.

capt. scotty

Just found out the Black Keys are playing a FREE show June 5th in Da Burgh!!

Medeski Martin & Wood playing a free show the next night is just icing on the cake.

[smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ManNamedTruth

QuoteJust found out the Black Keys are playing a FREE show June 5th in Da Burgh!!

Medeski Martin & Wood playing a free show the next night is just icing on the cake.

[smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

fuck yeah i can't wait. posted this in what shows are coming up thread awhile back. trying to make it for both of those, maybe more.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

capt. scotty

QuoteJust found out the Black Keys are playing a FREE show June 5th in Da Burgh!!

fuck yeah i can't wait. posted this in what shows are coming up thread awhile back. trying to make it for both of those, maybe more.

fo sho. The Wailers are playing the Arts Fest too, I think the following Sunday. Booker T. is playing on 1 day during the week. I didnt recognize any other bands/musicians theyre having there.

Hartwood Acres has a couple good (free) shows scheduled so far too. July 26th is JJ Grey&Mofro and the Robert Cray Band and August 9th is Son Volt. Old 97's have a show there too, but Ive never listened to them, just heard that theyre good.

Havent seen anything else really that interested me too much besides Phish. Gov't Mule is playing early August though.

red

Drummer's (Patrick's side-project) "Diamonds to Shake" trumps everything on Keep it Hid.  

http://www.myspace.com/drummertheband

ALady

if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

.Walt

QuoteDrummer's (Patrick's side-project) "Diamonds to Shake" trumps everything on Keep it Hid.  

Thanks for the info on this band. I love Patrick. I could watch Dan and Patrick interviews all day long! So, is there a cd out or something?
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

bold99

QuoteDrummer's (Patrick's side-project) "Diamonds to Shake" trumps everything on Keep it Hid.  

I will have to disagree...I've heard Drummer...Dan's album is my album of the year so far.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

Sidus

Saw him last week with the Last Five in Amsterdam. Great Great show. Was (nearly) as good as a MMJ show, especially towards the end of the show :D. Was the last show of the European tour. Dan didnt have a beard anymore, so I didnt recognize him at first (he looked 20 years younger :P) . Band was great, Patrick Hallahan was there as well. He was having a great time with his triangle and maracas ;D. The simultanous drumming was impressive, seemed like Patrick had played for ages with these guys. Bassplayer was really good as well. Sound was perfect. I hope Dan Auerbach will keep on playing with these guys sometimes, would be great ;).

CC

Penny Lane

I will have to disagree...I've heard Drummer...Dan's album is my album of the year so far.

i think Dan's album is definitely album of the year. i think it's better than the Black Keys last album. every song on there holds up on its own..

Sparkle

Quoteexcellent show indeed sidus.
have a few pics up here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/monsieurarkadin/

Cool pics CC! I really like the one of Patrick.

ALady

QuoteSaw him last week with the Last Five in Amsterdam. Great Great show. Was (nearly) as good as a MMJ show, especially towards the end of the show :D. Was the last show of the European tour. Dan didnt have a beard anymore, so I didnt recognize him at first (he looked 20 years younger :P) . Band was great, Patrick Hallahan was there as well. He was having a great time with his triangle and maracas ;D. The simultanous drumming was impressive, seemed like Patrick had played for ages with these guys. Bassplayer was really good as well. Sound was perfect. I hope Dan Auerbach will keep on playing with these guys sometimes, would be great ;).

I believe he'll be playing with them throughout the summer, at Lolla for sure.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires