Am I the only 50+ MMJ fan????

Started by mojofree2be, Jan 31, 2009, 10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorinthehouse

I'm over 50 (not quite sure how the hell THAT happened!) and I've been a fan for several years. I've seen them in London and Glasgow where I certainly didn't feel out of place.
The experiment requires that you continue.

TrlBlzn1

I'm 53 and my better half is 55. We're addicted to MMJ and didn't know who they were until just under a year ago. Amazing band!!! Saw them in Berkeley last Sept. and it was an incredible show. Can't wait to see 'em again. Wish we would have discovered them sooner. Would have loved seeing their Fillmore show. Must have been awesome!

uniquelyu1

I'm 65.5 years of age & avid.
• having seen EVERYbody live during the 1960s-1970's including the Beatles & the Stones (3x), i don't have to think twice when I say, mmj is beyond compare...
• 1st encounter: broadcast of live concert over npr: it was a major, rarely encountered 'who was THAT?!' moment (link available on request).
• live concerts: Austin City Limits Fest 2007; RCMH, NYC 2008.
(chose not to attend mmj@msg-nye, because the Radio City concert was already the perfect experience);
• live encounter once removed: my son was part of the film production crew & on stage for the npr sxsw set, austin, tx; march 2008; also part of the crew for the npr interview with jj (link available on request).
• favorite youtube clip: erykah badu's surprise appearance 8/23/08...
• after jj announced in a published interview the day before that performing with her would be a dream come true;
• the follow-up article is very cool as well (links to all 3 available on request).
• favorite album until very recently: okonokos;
• (okonokos dvd is best concert movie ever).
• current fave: the download of the complete bonnaroo 2008 concert, available online;
• in awe as well of any solo acoustic sets i've happened across: Acoustic Citsuoca Live! At The Startime Pavilion [EP]; @ St. David's Episcopal Church in Austin during last year's SXSW; @ the Newport Folk Festival 8/2/08—both broadcast over NPR, audio no longer up but available online—oh & the black cab session. #43 (link available on request).
• it's been a sacred trust to introduce mmj to my kids (age 29, 26) their friends, & the teenagers & young adults with whom i work.
• love how mmj has been maturing; love the way that I am too. can't wait to see what happens next. 8-)

Love Dogg

QuoteI'm 65.5 years of age & avid.
• having seen EVERYbody live during the 1960s-1970's including the Beatles & the Stones (3x), i don't have to think twice when I say, mmj is beyond compare...
• 1st encounter: broadcast of live concert over npr: it was a major, rarely encountered 'who was THAT?!' moment (link available on request).
• live concerts: Austin City Limits Fest 2007; RCMH, NYC 2008.
(chose not to attend mmj@msg-nye, because the Radio City concert was already the perfect experience);
• live encounter once removed: my son was part of the film production crew & on stage for the npr sxsw set, austin, tx; march 2008; also part of the crew for the npr interview with jj (link available on request).
• favorite youtube clip: erykah badu's surprise appearance 8/23/08...
• after jj announced in a published interview the day before that performing with her would be a dream come true;
• the follow-up article is very cool as well (links to all 3 available on request).
• favorite album until very recently: okonokos;
• (okonokos dvd is best concert movie ever).
• [highlight]current fave: the download of the complete bonnaroo 2008 concert, available online;[/highlight]
• in awe as well of any solo acoustic sets i've happened across: Acoustic Citsuoca Live! At The Startime Pavilion [EP]; @ St. David's Episcopal Church in Austin during last year's SXSW; @ the Newport Folk Festival 8/2/08—both broadcast over NPR, audio no longer up but available online—oh & the black cab session. #43 (link available on request).
• it's been a sacred trust to introduce mmj to my kids (age 29, 26) their friends, & the teenagers & young adults with whom i work.
• love how mmj has been maturing; love the way that I am too. can't wait to see what happens next. 8-)

Video?  Can I request a link to this?
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

st. john

did u get the link goose? it exists?

Ghosts_on_TV

Think he is talking about the audio folks.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

benzster

I am close, 45. There are a few pics of mine from Bonnaroo 08 in the photo section.

newjack

I'm 44 and went to my 1st MMJ show in KC this year. My 15 year old son went w/me and were completely blown away. Needless to say rhey have become my favorite band. I ended up going to chicago in Dec. to see them during our 17th anniversary, after 2 shows in one year and still jonzin for my next show.  

CTdeadhead

Im 39 and admit, I felt like Im older than most of the crowd at most shows, not all.  Def not RCMH, but at the boston shows I always feel like an old fart.  

Ed_Wiser

I am 56 this year I was down front at the waterfront show. I took my 21 21 year daugther who I introduced to MMJ. I listen to music all the have since I was in my teens. What does age have do with one must keep an open mind to music. I hate the whole I am a counrty fan or I only like this style of music. As someone who had two rooms full of albums before going digtal I love good heart in the right place music. An MMJ surely fit that bill I am proud that the call the ville home.  

Love Dogg

QuoteI am 56 this year I was down front at the waterfront show. I took my 21 21 year daugther who I introduced to MMJ. I listen to music all the have since I was in my teens. What does age have do with one must keep an open mind to music. I hate the whole I am a counrty fan or I only like this style of music. As someone who had two rooms full of albums before going digtal I love good heart in the right place music. An MMJ surely fit that bill I am proud that the call the ville home.  

Welcome to the Forum, Ed.
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

Ed_Wiser

Thanks I have posted here in the past. I always ago by to see what is up in jacketland

vespachick

QuoteYou are as young as you feel.
So my increasing number of grey hairs are irrelevant?! That's excellent - thanks MJ  ;)
As irrelevant as the amount that I have (which is FAR to many)! Hell look at the Modfather. Full head of greys and still rockin da fuck out.
No DOUBT!  Looking forward to next week at Coachella... You know whose stage I'll be standing in front of on Sunday night!!  8-)
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

Penny Lane

QuoteYou are as young as you feel.
So my increasing number of grey hairs are irrelevant?! That's excellent - thanks MJ  ;)
As irrelevant as the amount that I have (which is FAR to many)! Hell look at the Modfather. Full head of greys and still rockin da fuck out.
No DOUBT!  Looking forward to next week at Coachella... You know whose stage I'll be standing in front of on Sunday night!!  8-)

i am jealous. i've never seen him. text me if he plays porcelain god or i should have been there to inspire you. *chills*
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

vespachick

;)I'm also hoping for Floorboards.  I'll try to catch something on my phone for you to watch, but I'm notoriously a crappy gig-photog!!
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

goodjam2bn

56 here! You get eclectic in musical taste as time passes. That is, your music filter widens. I like MMJ. U2, Sonic Youth, Wilco, all of the old prog bands, and more idie bands than I can mention now. Glad you are here.
Ride the music wave and wipe out really good!

crazylove

Oh no, there isn't an age limit when you're to old to listen to rockin' music is there?  It doesn't seem there is an age limit to perform!!!

"You could kill someone up here and bury them in the snow! No one would ever find them!"- Penny Lane

KeithWayne1956

52 here.  I have all the studio recordings and a few of the live songs.  This band is fantastic.  I am always looking for new bands to listen to and I have to say most are not worth listening to for very long...but MMJ is forever.  I first got into them after seeing their first show on Austin City Limits

JohnQDriveway

My dad's 62 and he's into MMJ. Not long after I got into them, and JUST about a week after I bought It Still Moves, I was hanging out with my family and my dad put it on.  I was amazed.  He had heard them on a local college station.

Cerne

This is my first post here. My Missus is just over 50 (she has a toy boy of 46). She's an avid afficionado.  She got me into MMJ 5 years ago. We often take a chance on album reviews in one of our National newspapers -she ordered It still Moves in 2003. Some get sent to recycling others remain.  We hit the jackpot with MMJ - I think it would be fair to say that they are one of 3 (new) bands we have made an effort to see in recent times.

Alas, we have only made one show in the UK, due to distance/pressures of work etc. But we still talk about it. It's not often a band comes along that grabs us in the way MMJ have - and she's a Deadhead who lived in California in the late 70s/early 80s. She also used to schlep around Europe following them too. I like kid myself that I'm an ageing member of the free floating Punk Rock Intelligentsia - which is another way of saying I like to think I know what I am talking about!

I will be insisting on a reserved section for us in the front row for the 2039 tour. Management take note!