Old MMJ vs New MMJ

Started by searchinbig, May 05, 2009, 12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

searchinbig

Was wondering if somebody could list all the different band members, up until current, and years that they played with MMJ.

This may be posted here but I could not find it. I'd like to keep track with all the recordings I have.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks.  :)

"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

AMightyCaporal

I'm awaiting a very detailed reply from BH... :)
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

BH

I will be glad to, however, even I actually will need to wait until I get home to read the liner notes just to make sure when the transitions happened.  However, I'll bet somebody will beat me too it.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

BH

From wiki....  I'd still like to check a couple of the albums in the transistion period.   Was J. Glenn on drums on C&I and the Split EPs?

Current members

* Jim James – vocals, lead and rhythm guitars (1998–present)
   * "Two-Tone" Tommy – bass (1998–present)
   * Patrick Hallahan – drums (2002–present)
   * Bo Koster – keyboards & layout (2004–present)
   * Carl Broemel – guitar (2004–present)

Former members

* Johnny Quaid – guitar (1998–2004)
   * Danny Cash – keyboards (2000–2004)
   * J. Glenn – drums (1998–2001)
   * Chris Guetig – drums (2001)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

capt. scotty

I did not know Patrick wasnt their drummer by the time At Dawn was released  :o
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Love Dogg

QuoteFrom wiki....  I'd still like to check a couple of the albums in the transistion period.   Was J. Glenn on drums on C&I and the Split EPs?

Current members

Former members

I'm pretty sure Guetig was the drummer for C&I and the Split EP.  No offense to Glenn, but I do't think he had the licks to do what needed to be done on those two...
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

searchinbig

QuoteFrom wiki....  I'd still like to check a couple of the albums in the transistion period.   Was J. Glenn on drums on C&I and the Split EPs?

Current members

Former members

Yes.....precisely what I was looking for! I'm kinda anal with this stuff and maybe you should list that on the site somewhere if the band says ok?

Thanks BH. The album info would be super too!! My C&I had no liner notes, just in clear plastic.
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

BH

I'm fighting the urge to make a spreadsheet.  ;)

Love Dogg

QuoteI'm fighting the urge to make a spreadsheet.  ;)

"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

aMillionDreams

J Glenn is on TF and At Dawn
Guetig is on the Split EP
Patrick is on It Still Moves and everything after.
Chocolate and Ice is all Jim.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

AMightyCaporal

Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

searchinbig

Thanks BH.  :)  Thanks  aMD.
I can rest ez now!

pawpaw

;D I love it when you put those engineering skills to good use around here!  ;D
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

goodjam2bn

Hope you don't mind is I put a twist on your subject line. I am your humble new commer in that I haven't listended to all of the MMJ material but closing in on that! Regarding old vs new this subject comes up with all groops as their sound evolves. Here is how I see MMJ:

old era - Tennessee Fire

middle era - Z

new era - Evil Urges

I like the middle era the best for now.
Ride the music wave and wipe out really good!

MickeyReds

QuoteHope you don't mind is I put a twist on your subject line. I am your humble new commer in that I haven't listended to all of the MMJ material but closing in on that! Regarding old vs new this subject comes up with all groops as their sound evolves. Here is how I see MMJ:

old era - Tennessee Fire

middle era - Z

new era - Evil Urges

I like the middle era the best for now.

Middle-It still moves(in my mind)
As long as you keep a straight face...

capt. scotty

If the groupings are TTF/AD, ISM/Z, and EU/next release, my favorite would be ISM/Z.

Although conclusions are still pending until the next album, but even if it ends up being my favorite album from them I dont think it could surpass the ISM/Z duo.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

aMillionDreams

Those couldn't be the groupings though.  Z and EU obviously belong together since they are the two albums with Carl and Bo and ushered in a new era of Jacket.  The middle era would be ISM and the two EPS from 2002, early being TF, AD, and the early recordings.

ManNamedTruth

QuoteJ Glenn is on TF and At Dawn

Guetig is listed on Chocolate Ice. Didn't you once say that about The Tennessee Fire, that it's all Jim? You can clearly here Jim say "take it away Johnny" before the guitar solo on Evelyn.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

aMillionDreams

QuoteJ Glenn is on TF and At Dawn

Guetig is listed on Chocolate Ice. Didn't you once say that about The Tennessee Fire, that it's all Jim? You can clearly here Jim say "take it away Johnny" before the guitar solo on Evelyn.

For awhile I believed TF is all Jim, but I was just believing a rumor I heard.  

I know for a fact C&I is all Jim because I heard it from Guetig himself.  At my senior recital I was telling him how much I liked the new EP, he said which one, I said C&I and he said "I'm not on that one, it's all Jim, I'm on the Split EP". I even asked for clarification and he said, "yup, it's all Jim".  Straight from the horse's mouth.  If you need more proof, during "It's Been a Good 3 or 4 years" Johnny asks Jim if he's got that EP done with yet and jokes around about it.  I'm pretty sure Jim used a drum machine for the drum parts, but I am positive it's all Jim.  

Besides, I believe the linear notes list the full band but then it says "All songs written and performed by Jim James", does it not?

EDIT: I don't have the linear notes in front of me, but I think it lists the players on the album as Jim James and CC DeVille. CC Deville = Cadillac Coupe DeVille as in the Above the Cadillac Studios.  I don't know if the car got a few rumbling engines parts or car horns in there, but the rest is Jim.  :)

TEO

I had no idea that C&I was all JJ!  :)
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary