Main Menu

HDMI Cable

Started by Tracy 2112, Jan 02, 2011, 09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy 2112

so, I pulled the trigger on a 46'' Sony HD TV. Someone told me that the "quality" of the HDMI cable isn't important and I could get a $9 one from Best Buy (as opposed to $99). I am happy with the HD experience, but I am getting blurry sections of  pic from time to time (mostly ESPN football) and am wondering if buying a cheap HDMI cable could be the culprit or if it's Comcast

Thoughts?
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

el_chode

What's your Hz rate, do you know? Best I can say is that what makes HDMI special is that it's all 1's and 0's, unlike traditional coaxial which operates by unicorn farts and magic. In other words, unicorn farts weaken over distance much quicker than 1's and 0's, so for 99% of HDMI applications the only thing that matters is a clean, snug input. The rest is snake oil. I got my cables from Amazon for $6 and the only thing that is holding me back is that my TV is 1080p while my cable box and xbox don't play videos anything better than 1080i. The best resolution I get is streaming hi-def video from my laptop to my TV via an HDMI cable.

I ask about the Hz rate because sports are notorious for some motion blurring at some frequencies. I think 60 Hz should be fine, but could also be the culprit. I got 120 hz on my recent purchase only because I (a) am a real sucker for numbers and (b) I figure I might hedge off obsolescence by going the next level up.

Of course, Comcast could be intentionally degrading your signal because they're smug bastards.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: el_chode on Jan 02, 2011, 10:47 PM
What's your Hz rate, do you know? Best I can say is that what makes HDMI special is that it's all 1's and 0's, unlike traditional coaxial which operates by unicorn farts and magic. In other words, unicorn farts weaken over distance much quicker than 1's and 0's, so for 99% of HDMI applications the only thing that matters is a clean, snug input. The rest is snake oil. I got my cables from Amazon for $6 and the only thing that is holding me back is that my TV is 1080p while my cable box and xbox don't play videos anything better than 1080i. The best resolution I get is streaming hi-def video from my laptop to my TV via an HDMI cable.

I ask about the Hz rate because sports are notorious for some motion blurring at some frequencies. I think 60 Hz should be fine, but could also be the culprit. I got 120 hz on my recent purchase only because I (a) am a real sucker for numbers and (b) I figure I might hedge off obsolescence by going the next level up.

Of course, Comcast could be intentionally degrading your signal because they're smug bastards.

yo, sorry to interrupt the convo but you've gotta file me in on this HDMI cable->laptop shit.  Is there a USB->HDMI cable or something?  I've been wanting to hook my laptop up to my flatscreen for a minute now and I don't want to over spend when I know there is probably a cheap cord I can buy.

Tracy 2112

Don't know my hz rate. Thanks for the input

el_chode

I'll bet it's 60, maybe 120. All that means is how often the screen refreshes. So since 120 is twice as fast, there's more crisp images per second.

If you have a 120 hz, I don't know what your issue might be then.

el_chode

Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Jan 03, 2011, 12:16 AM

yo, sorry to interrupt the convo but you've gotta file me in on this HDMI cable->laptop shit.  Is there a USB->HDMI cable or something?  I've been wanting to hook my laptop up to my flatscreen for a minute now and I don't want to over spend when I know there is probably a cheap cord I can buy.

How old/new is your laptop? What make?

My wife's HP has an HDMI output on it. My macbook has a mini-dvi out so I just got a mini dvi to HDMI dongle on Amazon for like $15

el_chode

Also, Tracy, did you go Plasma, LCD, or LED?

BH

Guarantee it's the Hz rate.   After 1080p it's the only thing that really matters in my opinion.  My tv is getting a bit on the old side and sports are definitely a bit fuzzy when things move fast and it's because of the low Hz rate.

DO NOT BUY THE expensive HDMI cables.  Go cheap on the internet.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Tracy 2112