Conor Oberst, Bright Eyes, Mystic Valley Band etc.

Started by SaraBananaBear, Jan 05, 2011, 05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: mahg33ta on Feb 11, 2011, 11:26 AM
just checking back in-  for me, the album hasn't grabbed me yet... kind of unfortunate as I want to like it and have concert tickets -  It's interesting, I respect it, but the songs aren't growing on me.    I'll keep trying  :-\

Keep at it, I think that it'll get better, if not by the time of the show, then after the show. Hearing them live, OH MY GOD, it was so good.  :D
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

touchingmept2

Quote from: SaraBananaBear on Feb 20, 2011, 07:14 AM
Quote from: touchingmept2 on Feb 19, 2011, 10:40 PM
Can someone elaborate on "beginners mind"?

I could probably elaborate all day long, any specific area you're interested in? :D ;)

Just wondering how yim inspired oberst for this song?
The time is near, to come forward with whatever killed your spark.

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: touchingmept2 on Feb 20, 2011, 09:20 AM

I could probably elaborate all day long, any specific area you're interested in? :D ;)

Well, this is my own highly subjective and very personal interpretation, but to me this song seems to be about keeping in touch with your inner child and not letting demands or opinions of others change your own vision of what you want to do. And based on comments from people who know JJ, he seems to be a person who's good at that.

Bo Koster, 2006 Pitchfork interview found here: http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/6299-my-morning-jacket/
QuoteAnd he's hilarious. That's a big contradiction in him, where he can be completely sincere and serious and really take a lot of care in everything he does but at the same time he can be very carefree and childlike. One of the main things I learned from him was to stop compartmentalizing things and deconstructing moments and instead just feel them as if we were still children. 'Cause when you're six years old you're an artist. Those are the most creative moments of anyone's life. He still has that wide-eyed wonder through it all. There's no pretension at all to anything he does.

I think the song is a wish to be able to do the same, to keep from being cynical, for the inner child to stay. I often suspect that Conor's singing to himself, no matter the pronoun and this one might be one of those. And also, there's some reverb in this song, when they perform it live Conor even uses another microphone when singing this one  :)

touchingmept2

The time is near, to come forward with whatever killed your spark.

buymycar

The latest Rolling Stone has a Q&A with Conor Oberst:

The song "Beginner's Mind" obviously refers to Buddhism.

That song is actually sort of dedicated to my friend Jim James - it's a tribute to his spirit.  He got into some of that [Buddhist] stuff, and we would talk about it a lot, just the idea that every time you go into an artistic endeavor, you need to try to start from zero again and throw out the things you've learned and your preconceptions and start new.

woodnymph

Quote from: buymycar on Feb 21, 2011, 02:53 AM

That song is actually sort of dedicated to my friend Jim James - it's a tribute to his spirit.  He got into some of that [Buddhist] stuff, and we would talk about it a lot, just the idea that every time you go into an artistic endeavor, you need to try to start from zero again and throw out the things you've learned and your preconceptions and start new.
bmc  thanks for posting that up!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

Ruckus

Hey Sara, I really enjoyed your review that was posted to Jason's blog.  Good stuff :beer: :thumbsup:
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

SaraBananaBear

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: woodnymph on Feb 21, 2011, 09:12 AM

bmc  thanks for posting that up!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Second that, thank you so much for sharing!

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: Ruckus on Feb 21, 2011, 10:49 AM
Hey Sara, I really enjoyed your review that was posted to Jason's blog.  Good stuff :beer: :thumbsup:

Aww, thank you so much for your kind words, deeply appreciate it! :)

buymycar

Quote from: SaraBananaBear on Feb 21, 2011, 11:39 AM
Quote from: woodnymph on Feb 21, 2011, 09:12 AM

Second that, thank you so much for sharing!

You lovely ladies are very welcome.

scosby2

scosby2

tornado warning in bama...no letterman...no bright eyes...just weather reports...SUXXXXXXX

johnnYYac

Quote from: scosby2 on Feb 25, 2011, 12:13 AM
tornado warning in bama...no letterman...no bright eyes...just weather reports...SUXXXXXXX
Hope yer still alive, Seth. 
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

johnnYYac

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere.  From the latest Rolling Stone (Issue 1125, March 3, 2011), Q & A with Conor Oberst:

Q - The song "Beginner's Mind" obviously refers to Buddhism.

A - That song is actually sort of dedicated to my friend Jim James - it's a tribute to his spirit.  He got into some of that [Buddhist] stuff, and we would talk about it a lot, just the idea that every time you go into an artistic endeavor, you need to try to start from zero again and throw out the things you've learned and your preconceptions and start new.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

scosby2

Quote from: johnnYYac on Feb 25, 2011, 08:46 AM
Quote from: scosby2 on Feb 25, 2011, 12:13 AM
Hope yer still alive, Seth.

yea buddy I'm still here. it didn't really get bad where I live...just in the northwest part of the state. they do share the same cbs with us though so I had to watch the weather. I found the performance online though. thought they did a really good job. the thing about buddha makes me laugh

HighlySuspicious

(HD) Bright Eyes - "Jejune Stars" 2/24 Letterman (TheAudioPerv.com)

Jejune Stars on Letterman in HD!  YAY!

Also, thanks for the Beginner's Mind info.  I didn't know that Jim was into Buddhism.  Ha ha, as if I need another reason to love that man....

SaraBananaBear

Thanks for the HD version HS! Thought they might do Shell Games, but nono, Jejune Stars! Rocking, can't wait to see them again in June, woop! :D

scosby2

i am about to leave for atlanta for the show tonight.! if you get a chance and are interested look on youtube at the miami and orlando shows from past couple of nights. they have a new stage design and light show that they didn't take with them to europe and it is awesome! quite a nice surprise. i think the show tonight is gonna be great!

mahg33ta

I'm turning into Mr Negative I guess - don't mean to! - just posted my comments on the disappointing Middle Brother album also...

After many listens of the new Bright Eyes, at least 15 times I'd say start to finish, I've reached the conclusion it's IMO a pretty weak album.   The songs have not grown on me and the whole spoken word / studio trickery / effects wears thin on me.   The songs just aren't that great.

So I went surfing for reviews to see how it's being received.   Wow, a lot of negative reviews.   This one (D+) sums up my feelings pretty well and is fair without just being a slamfest

http://www.redefinemag.com/music/reviews_album_2.php?artist=Bright-Eyes&id=2299

Again, I'm not trying to bash here- nothing against Bright Eyes - went into this with an open mind after being impressed by MOF...