Beer commercial MMJ

Started by Hankster, May 17, 2004, 10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hankster

???

Did any one see that Beer commercial this weekend with I think "golden" playing in the background.

The beer was some new weird low carb brand.
Very strange!!

Kearnesy

yeah man, i saw it...'cept the song in the background was Mahgeetah...it was during the NBA game (Minny vs. Sacto) yesterday afternoon...

i imagine it will go unnoticed to most people that that the background song kicks ass...da well...

peanut butter puddin surprise

I saw it for the very first time this weekend when I was watching the game you speak of.  As I said in the other thread, my heart swelled with pride.  Fuckin' rocks!  If I'm gonna watch a commercial, why not be entertained with the best rock band in America?
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

dogandponyshow

Personally, I don't get it.  A low carb brew made by Coors.  Love the song, but don't get why they would offer to Coors beer which is probably the worse beer made.  How about for Steinlager, Full Sail or Guiness. Unfortunate....

D.

lfish

what about stella artois, Jupiler, Brugse Tripel, Duvel, Hoegaarden, Leffe, palm,

God I love Belgium  ;D

No sir no bad beer over here   8)
lfish

MMJ_fanatic

I tried the Aspen Edge and its not bad (its not great either...).  Give me back my Samuel Smith!!!!
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Tooth

I was working on something in the living room last night and the TV happened to be on.  Upon hearing those familiar notes, I glanced up at the TV to see....A COMMERCIAL FOR LOW CARB BEER?!

"WHAT THE FUCK??", I exclaimed.

My girlfriend, who had the remote, recognized the song as well and subsequently turned up the volume to a stentorian level.  It was not an auditory hallucination.  

I sat in dumbfounded silence for a moment then did the only thing that could think of:

A WILD LIVINGROOM AIR GEETAR SOLO!!!

I always have mixed feelings about these things, but at least the guys in the band are getting paid.  No doubt they've paid their dues and aren't compromising the music to conform to the fickle masses.

Oh, and hello everyone...I've been away a while.  Nice to be back.

MMJ_fanatic

QuoteI was working on something in the living room last night and the TV happened to be on.  Upon hearing those familiar notes, I glanced up at the TV to see....A COMMERCIAL FOR LOW CARB BEER?!

"WHAT THE FUCK??", I exclaimed.

My girlfriend, who had the remote, recognized the song as well and subsequently turned up the volume to a stentorian level.  It was not an auditory hallucination.  

I sat in dumbfounded silence for a moment then did the only thing that could think of:

A WILD LIVINGROOM AIR GEETAR SOLO!!!

I always have mixed feelings about these things, but at least the guys in the band are getting paid.  No doubt they've paid their dues and aren't compromising the music to conform to the fickle masses.

Oh, and hello everyone...I've been away a while.  Nice to be back.

YEEHAW! Rock on brother!
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

sleeepy2

QuotePersonally, I don't get it.  A low carb brew made by Coors.  Love the song, but don't get why they would offer to Coors beer which is probably the worse beer made.  How about for Steinlager, Full Sail or Guiness. Unfortunate....

D.

'cause those beers don't advertise (Guiness hardly advertises).

Personally, I don't give a shit if a band I like allows their song to be used in a commercial, Modest Mouse was used in a Mazda commercial and Ween was used in a Honda commercial, I couldn't care less.  

You see MMJ on stage and assume they must all be millionaires, but I would guess this is not the case, everybody's got bills to pay, and if a commercial allows them to get back to the studio sooner and make a new record, more the better.

And it's not like Jim James was holding a can of Coors with a big grin saying, "Man, this stuff is great!"
That would be a bit much.

Article on the Courier-Journal Website.

All You Need is Cash
TV commercials have become a source of funds for struggling indie bands. Is it worth it?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Joshua Hammann

The commercial is almost exactly like any other beer ad now airing. There are pretty young women and men frittering away a sunny summer afternoon, smiling and flirting with the kind of ease that comes after downing an ice cold Aspen Edge.

As the commercial shifts from this setting to the inside of the beer bottle, the foot-stomping guitars and familiar melody of My Morning Jacket's "Mahgeetah" can be heard.

My Morning Jacket may be the latest Louisville band to license a song for commercial use, but it is certainly not the first to attach its music to a commercial. It can be a slippery slope, where the financial windfall comes with damaged credibility.

It's been about seven years since the band Rachel's licensed a portion of "Family Portrait," the first song off its second album, "Music For Egon Schiele," for a Nike ad, and Rachel's multi-instrumentalist Jason Noble still seems conflicted.

"There's a little bit of dread that's attached to anything commercial," Noble said. "In the indie community, there's an initial reaction of `yuck.' It can automatically call into question your credibility."

The question that nagged band members then — and, to some extent, still nags them today — was whether something good can come from "tainted" money?

In the Rachel's case, the answer seems to be yes.

"Without a doubt, it helped us continue to do all the things we did in 1998, which was a big tour with PJ Harvey where we hardly made any money," said Rachel Grimes, the band's pianist and the writer of "Family Portrait."

The band was still young in 1997 when a friend with ties to both independent music and advertising approached them about licensing a song.

Grimes, Noble and viola player Christian Frederickson play moody, instrumental orchestral pop that lends itself to movies and commercials almost too well. The band has lent its music to independent and art films, often for free.

Though mainly a trio, Rachel's uses guest musicians and friends to help record and tour, and the Nike offer was seen as an opportunity to pay back a lot of people who normally didn't see any money.

"We thought we could do something good with the money," Noble said. "It helped us a lot. It helped everybody involved."

That was not, however, a good enough reason for some fans, some of whom even donned T-shirts that made a tongue-in-cheek reference to the Nike ad.

"It did seem a decent number of people were let down," he said. "I know there are people that will forever have this association that we somehow.... There are certain things that leave an aftertaste. It would be nice if people didn't have to judge us like that forever."

If anything, Rachel's seems to have suffered from being a pioneering group

Today, bands like Modest Mouse, the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Luna and the Polyphonic Spree have all had their music in recent commercials with almost no backlash.

The message boards on My Morning Jacket's website are abuzz with talk of the commercial, but most seem to center on how proud fans are that their favorite band is getting even more national exposure.

If anything, fans seem annoyed that the song is featured in an ad for Coors, rather than a tastier brew.

Tim Furnish won't even go that far. The Parlour front man has licensed music for commercials for Volvo and for the online bank Wingspan.com. He sees no moral dilemma in selling songs for commercial use.

"It was not a difficult decision to make," said Furnish, who secured both deals in 2000. "Because the scrilla allowed me to purchase some music (and) recording gear to spend more time focusing on music."

And that is the rub.

Bands that don't want to appear in commercials may refuse based on principle or the situation (Rachel's declined a second Nike ad, irked that the company had gone ahead and created it without clearing it with the band.), but they can't be so naïve as to ignore the obvious benefits.

Without the promotional machinery of behemoth record labels, smaller bands like Rachel's, Parlour, and to some degree, My Morning Jacket, are engaged in a constant struggle to get their music to as many listeners as possible. Commercials offer instant and repetitive airplay, and the money isn't bad either.

"In the last six years since we made that decision, the industry has been turned on its head," Grimes said. "I'm not sure what people think of how musicians make a living. They may realize that musicians have a right to do with their creativity what serves them best."

Furnish, Noble and Grimes would not reveal how much they were paid to license their music, but the money, it seems, went right back into making records.

"We all do what we have to do to make a project survive," Noble said. "We're shocked that we're still making records because it's something that we're so thankful for."

But there are limits.

In addition to the second Nike ad, Rachel's has consistently turned down other commercial offers for American TV, although the band did license a song for an Armani commercial that ran in Europe.

"There's no pleasing everybody," Grimes said. "There's no right or wrong."

Tameegee

;DGreat commercial, great band, baaaad beer :(

My local spirits shop was giving out free samples the other day.  Ice cold, but no taste IMHO.

tameegee in sc