i love ricky gervais

Started by mahg33ta, Jan 17, 2011, 12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahg33ta

I thought he was brilliant last night.  Some reviews are saying his jokes fell flat or went too far, but it was the highlight of the show for me.   

ynwa

didn't watch last night but read a headline this morning that some felt he "went too far".  man, i wish i'd tuned in - he cracks me up!  he was on conan the other night & the banter btwn the 2 had me howling.

"You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss

el_chode

supposedly his first idea was to enter dressed as hitler and open with the lines "what, too far? this is the last time I borrow a suit from Mel Gibson"
I'm surrounded by assholes

BH

He was friggin' hilarious.  He took a shot at almost every person that was presenting and most of them took it in stride but not all.   People, especially celebs, should realize that if you just laugh at yourself, people love you for it.   If you get offended, it does not help.   And definitely DO NOT try to take shots back at Ricky.  He WILL win THAT battle! ;D
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Jaimoe

Ricky was hilarious and bold last night. Tim Allen, Bruce Willis, Stallone etc... looked genuinely pissed when he introduced them.

I loved Paul Giamatti's speech the best (of the acceptance monologues).

Penny Lane

i have loved David Brent/Ricky Gervais since the beginning of time....he was hysterical last night. Nothing like insulting the overinflated egos of Hollywood  :beer:

PS   love the emoticons!!

PSS   the only way i got thru that dreadful show was lp's tweets, i can't handle Hollywood parades without smart ass comments..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

darkglow

lol at bruce willis getting pissed....

BH

You know who else looked pissed?   The president of the Golden Globes.   ;D

That might be the last time Ricky hosts. 
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

wolof7

People really applauded Mel Gibson?

For me...too soon
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

darkglow

they had to know what to expect.. it's not like this is uncanny behavior for ricky or anything.

i just think it's a sign of the times. in this information age these celebs can no longer hide the bad things that happen to them and the bad things they do like they used-ta-could. all they can depend on is that someone is going to goof up even worse and maybe the attention will shift off of them.

the typical couch potato american is flooded with so much gossip and drama that something that happened 2 years ago is very hard to recollect.. but gervais just threw it all at once back out into the open. bravo!

kydiddle

He's brilliant and the only thing better than his one-liners during the Golden Globes was Christian Bale's epic hair/beard combo.

People who get mad about Ricky Gervais need their heads examined. Watch "Extras" and you'll understand his type of humor. The man is a genius and had me rolling. "I'd like to thank God for making me an Athiest." Classic.

One of the best scenes from Extras:

Extras - Ricky Gervais Kicks Warwick Davis in the Face
Cow temperature.

ralph

Quote from: kydiddle on Jan 17, 2011, 08:00 PM
He's brilliant and the only thing better than his one-liners during the Golden Globes was Christian Bale's epic hair/beard combo.

Mrs Ralph was quite taken with the hairy Christian Bale, which is fine cause I was quite taken with January Jones so it all equals out.

And Ricky should be commended on his performance, 'twas too funny. I love Deniro's reaction to the Hefner wanking bit...
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

vespachick

Ill say it again, I heart Ricky Gervais. :P
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

ALady

Lord yes.  Lord YES.  Is he gonna be in a George Harrison biopic?  Man is a stone fox.

Hollywood is too self-important; Ricky was brilliant. 
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

darkglow

i cant stop watching that mel gibson introduction.. every time i see mel gibson with his lips pursed and eyes all big saying "alright.." i just laugh straight from the gut

BH

Quote from: ralph on Jan 17, 2011, 09:24 PM

I was quite taken with January Jones so it all equals out.

Oh yes.  Yes.    These shoes are amazing.

ralph

She wears them well. Christina would wear them better though! Sigh...

kydiddle

Quote from: ALady on Jan 18, 2011, 12:31 PM

Lord yes.  Lord YES.  Is he gonna be in a George Harrison biopic?  Man is a stone fox.

Hollywood is too self-important; Ricky was brilliant.

"Unemployment" according to this article. Looks good on him.

http://www.accesshollywood.com/christian-bale-reveals-why-hes-letting-his-hair-grow-out_article_42372

Cow temperature.

ralph

Unemployment didn't do that for me, I lost hair and got fat(ter)...