Band of Horses vs. Fleet Foxes

Started by Tracy 2112, Jan 20, 2011, 09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy 2112

OK, someone tell me the difference between Band of Horses and Fleet Foxes and if I should buy one of their releases, which one? Fleet Foxes only has 1 release, right?
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Tracy 2112

ManNamedTruth

Fleet Foxes are more folky, they have a 60's psychedelic rock/folk thing going. They also like to harmonize witch also reminds me of 60's music. They have one album, but their EP is very good too. I believe they have a new one coming soon.
Band Of Horses is more indie rock, with a dash of punk and country influences (at least thats what it sounds like to me). They have 3 releases, I haven't heard their newest one yet.
I prefer Fleet Foxes of the two.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

el_chode

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Jan 20, 2011, 09:38 PM
Fleet Foxes are more folky, they have a 60's psychedelic rock/folk thing going. They also like to harmonize witch also reminds me of 60's music. They have one album, but their EP is very good too. I believe they have a new one coming soon.
Band Of Horses is more indie rock, with a dash of punk and country influences (at least thats what it sounds like to me). They have 3 releases, I haven't heard their newest one yet.
I prefer Fleet Foxes of the two.

Can't argue with this.

I gotta say though that there are times that Fleet Foxes make me think like they're just taking all the best parts of MMJ's slow songs.
I'm surrounded by assholes

ralph

I suggest you just buy Built To Spill records instead!!!
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

woodnymph

Ayeeee tough question... I can see where anyone would hear MMJ influences in both of them, but I've yet to catch myself thinking, "Wow they stole the sound!" No more than I think "Wow MMJ stole *_______'s sound!"  (*insert one of their influences).  I guess a lot of people seem to have that, though, from what I remember reading throughout the board... and from what chode's experience is too, I guess.  Not that there's a thing wrong with that!! It's just not my own experience generally with most music; but it's not likely something you can help, if you find yourself hearing it that way ...I just know the influences are there, and if anything I might wind up hearing MMJ's influences through the BOH or FF equally as much.  I just hear the influences as an undertone to the new sounds each band offers.  Each band is unique in its own way.

I suppose I'm more partial to the Fleets in Wintertime, though. They remind me of being in a winter forest, riding a fox with David the Gnome. (Sorry if that's not as much a selling point as it has been for me, or if it's even an anti-selling point hahah, my apologies  :-X)  But their song "Heard Them Stirring" always triggers imagery of walking through the woods and hearing small creatures in a den under lots of snow... "White Winter Hymnal" has a similar type of imagery for me, though more upbeat... Their EP is certainly nicely done too, like Mr. Truth mentioned...

Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

el_chode

Quote from: woodnymph on Jan 20, 2011, 11:16 PM
Ayeeee tough question... I can see where anyone would hear MMJ influences in both of them, but I've yet to catch myself thinking, "Wow they stole the sound!" No more than I think "Wow MMJ stole *_______'s sound!"  (*insert one of their influences).  I guess a lot of people seem to have that, though, from what I remember reading throughout the board... and from what chode's experience is too, I guess.  Not that there's a thing wrong with that!! It's just not my own experience generally with most music; but it's not likely something you can help, if you find yourself hearing it that way ...I just know the influences are there, and if anything I might wind up hearing MMJ's influences through the BOH or FF equally as much.  I just hear the influences as an undertone to the new sounds each band offers.  Each band is unique in its own way.

I suppose I'm more partial to the Fleets in Wintertime, though. They remind me of being in a winter forest, riding a fox with David the Gnome. (Sorry if that's not as much a selling point as it has been for me, or if it's even an anti-selling point hahah, my apologies  :-X )  But their song "Heard Them Stirring" always triggers imagery of walking through the woods and hearing small creatures in a den under lots of snow... "White Winter Hymnal" has a similar type of imagery for me, though more upbeat... Their EP is certainly nicely done too, like Mr. Truth mentioned...

Sometimes its just the voice alone...whoever the singer is in FF sounds eerily similar to Yim at times. Like more than a passing "woah"

Anyway, the winter comparison is the same way I feel. Same for BOH, but that's only because I first started listening to them in the Winter (same with the National)

woodnymph

Quote from: el_chode on Jan 20, 2011, 11:19 PM
Sometimes its just the voice alone...whoever the singer is in FF sounds eerily similar to Yim at times. Like more than a passing "woah"

Anyway, the winter comparison is the same way I feel. Same for BOH, but that's only because I first started listening to them in the Winter (same with the National)

Oh yeah, Robin from FF's voice does reach some points where he sounds like JJ, I must say I wouldn't mind hearing the two of THEM harmonize sometime.....  ???

Yeah I meant to add that BOH gets me in winter mode too.... can't believe I forgot to throw that in there. First time I heard them was in YOSEMITE IN DECEMBER!!! That's a mark that'll be permanently embedded..... great stuff

iLikeBeer

Quote from: ralph on Jan 20, 2011, 10:28 PM

I wouldn't go as far as to say instead.  Of the three, BTS is my favorite as well, but that's not to say there aren't things about BOH and FF that I like very much as well.   

I guess I say why choose between the two of them?  They are both good bands in their own regards IMO.

iLikeBeer

BTW, love the seasonal references.  The Dead are always one of my favorite spring bands.  Nothing better than driving around while cranking some Dead with the windows down and the sunroof open on the first warm and sunny day of spring!   8)

Maybe there should be a thread about seasonal music...  :P   ;)

el_chode

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Jan 20, 2011, 11:51 PM
BTW, love the seasonal references.  The Dead are always one of my favorite spring bands.  Nothing better than driving around while cranking some Dead with the windows down and the sunroof open on the first warm and sunny day of spring!   8)

Dear lord, I thought I was the only one who had seasonal bands. Most of my friends just look at me all strange when I say that I have seasonal preferences for certain bands.

Also, I don't get the Built to Spill connection to FF/BOH. To me they go hand in hand with Dinosaur Jr as the guitar legends that bridge the gap from the early 80s to the mid-to-late 90s.

Built to spill is a Winter/Spring Band, btw.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: ralph on Jan 20, 2011, 10:28 PM

I got all those!      :)

woodnymph

!!SEASONAL MUSIC THREAD SECONDED!!  :o  SPRING DEAD LISTENING SECONDED!!  :o   :thumbsup:

ralph

Quote from: el_chode on Jan 21, 2011, 12:02 AM
Quote from: iLikeBeer on Jan 20, 2011, 11:51 PM

Dear lord, I thought I was the only one who had seasonal bands. Most of my friends just look at me all strange when I say that I have seasonal preferences for certain bands.

Also, I don't get the Built to Spill connection to FF/BOH. To me they go hand in hand with Dinosaur Jr as the guitar legends that bridge the gap from the early 80s to the mid-to-late 90s.

Built to spill is a Winter/Spring Band, btw.

OK, not so much Fleet Foxes, but the first time someone played me Band Of Horses my immediate thought was they had stolen BTS's entire sound.  Then I read the liner notes and surprise, surprise its produced by Phil Ek! So they stole their Producer as well.

Fleet Foxes just stole all of the late 60's / early 70's!!! Not that that is a bad thing mind you...  ;)

I do agree about BTS being Winter/Spring.  But each time they've toured here its been the middle of summer which confuses my senses!
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

jahabe08

I prefer band of horses myself....... I also prefer cease to begin to infinite arms.... However they are both great records in my opinion...

TheBigChicken

haven't heard any fleet foxes but I really like BoH. Everything All The Time is a solid 1st album to start with :thumbsup:
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

wolof7

I find both bands very enjoyable. Usually spin them when I am feeling pensive and fleet foxes reminds me of cabin-in-the-woods living and friendly woodland creatures (a la foxes). While band of horses reminds me of camping/hiking trips with friends. I really think both of their 1st albums are my top 10 favorite albums of the past 10 years.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

ALady

I like both bands, I don't really think they sound much alike (or much like MMJ for that matter).  With BoH, I go back and forth between Cease to Begin and Everything All the Time...well, all of the time, either one of those is a good starting place.  Their newest isn't quite up to snuff IMO, but it's pretty decent live.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

e_wind

I liked BoH a lot on record. They bored me so damn much live that I can hardly listen to them any more. Fleet Foxes are good.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

kotchishm

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 20, 2011, 09:15 PM
OK, someone tell me the difference between Band of Horses and Fleet Foxes and if I should buy one of their releases, which one? Fleet Foxes only has 1 release, right?

Start with Band of Horses "Everything All the Time" the only album with Mat Brooke.  It's near flawless IMO
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf