Band of Horses vs. Fleet Foxes

Started by Tracy 2112, Jan 20, 2011, 09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahg33ta

Quote from: e_wind on Jan 22, 2011, 04:32 PM
I liked BoH a lot on record. They bored me so damn much live that I can hardly listen to them any more. Fleet Foxes are good.

never saw this when posted.  But, agree with all of it.    I very much enjoy listening to BoH's first two albums - third, less so.   Was thrilled that they were the announced opener for Pearl Jam... but, found their live show very dull.

Oh, and I like playing drums to last few minutes of The Funeral on Rock Band.

Concerns

I saw BOH a few years ago (maybe a year or so before Infinite Arms came out?) and thought they were really amazing live. They played a bunch of new songs that were all really great and I got real excited for the new album. Then it dropped and the only new song they played that night that was on the record was "Older." I was very disappointed. Although Older is awesome.

br00ke

Quote from: kotchishm on May 06, 2011, 12:21 PM
Start with Band of Horses "Everything All the Time" the only album with Mat Brooke.  It's near flawless IMO

agreed. that's a great album and i do like the newest one, infinite arms. ceases to begin is good but a few songs get on my nerves ... i could go a lifetime with never hearing "is there a ghost" ever again. really enjoyed seeing them live last summer too.

i have yet to listen to the new fleet foxes. i like them but sometimes they are a little to "squee"

StaggerLee

Just saw Band of Horses in Philly at a samll venue.  There were unbleivable.  Amazing show.  I will be riding that high until Friday when the Jacket MPP extravaganza begins.
Flip Flip Flipadelphia

he.who.forgets

I on the other hand just saw Fleet Foxes last night.  Amazing live band.  Very impressive as they sound spot on to to their recordings.  Amazing harmonies...those boys can sang! They are a perfect theatre-band too. Saw BOH open for Pearl Jam last year. While I enjoy both of these bands, after last night, I'm going to have to give the nod to the Foxes.  I will admit, however, that sometimes their tunes seem to blend and sound the same to me, while BOH's songs are a tad more diverse.  just my .02.

StaggerLee

Quote from: br00ke on May 08, 2011, 11:18 PM
Quote from: kotchishm on May 06, 2011, 12:21 PM
Start with Band of Horses "Everything All the Time" the only album with Mat Brooke.  It's near flawless IMO

agreed. that's a great album and i do like the newest one, infinite arms. ceases to begin is good but a few songs get on my nerves ... i could go a lifetime with never hearing "is there a ghost" ever again. really enjoyed seeing them live last summer too.

i have yet to listen to the new fleet foxes. i like them but sometimes they are a little to "squee"

Band of Horses Rule!!
Flip Flip Flipadelphia

DewieCox

I've always thought that BoH was like MMJ-lite. They have some ok tunes. Surprised me how solid they were live.

Haven't gotten into FF enough to give a fair opinion.

Ruckus

Boy & Bear - My Only One (Moonfire) [Lyrics]
For those that want to listen to the great Fleet Foxes/BOH/Mumford rip off hybrid band, Boy and Bear it is ;D

Sad thing is they sometimes kinda rock, then I'm reminded how much they sound like stuff I really don't like anymore and then I cringe
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Bigsky

I have yet to see or hear BOH, but I saw FF the other night and they were very good, but all the songs sounded the same...it was a bit boring. I wish they would mix it up; they have a lot of talent. They also sound way too much like CSN&Y

chaqueta sucia

Never been a Band of Horses fan........even though I own all their albums.  I would say the Fleet Foxes get a slight edge for me if it is between the two bands.  However Blitzen Trapper is way better than both imo and who I would listen to for that style of music.  Yes, it is true, all the songs for Fleet Foxes sound the same.

e_wind

just saw Fleet Foxes for the first time. have to be honest, I just don't get it.

Band of Horses are super snoozy live, but at least they sound brilliant. I just don't get the FF. Honestly, if the singer from Coheed and Cambria sang "folk" and used a shit ton of reverb, he'd be the front man of the FF.

I think I can finally put to rest my search to find what it is about the fleet foxes that people like. different strokes is the only answer I can find.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

sweatboard

Quote from: e_wind on Oct 05, 2011, 11:45 PM
just saw Fleet Foxes for the first time. have to be honest, I just don't get it.

Band of Horses are super snoozy live, but at least they sound brilliant. I just don't get the FF. Honestly, if the singer from Coheed and Cambria sang "folk" and used a shit ton of reverb, he'd be the front man of the FF.

I think I can finally put to rest my search to find what it is about the fleet foxes that people like. different strokes is the only answer I can find.

yep!!!  Well said, I have no idea why people like this band. 
There's Still Time.........

Penny Lane

Quote from: sweatboard on Oct 06, 2011, 12:28 AM
Quote from: e_wind on Oct 05, 2011, 11:45 PM

yep!!!  Well said, I have no idea why people like this band.

they were really boring when i saw them...pretty music, though
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

e_wind

What do you get when four trendy people from the west coast (who wear toboggans all year round) try and cover His Masters Voice 20 different times?

Seriously though, in my morning sobriety, if I had to listen to 3 people singing "ooohh" as backing vocals in anymore songs I was gonna lose it.

StaggerLee

I liked BoH a lot on record. They bored me so damn much live that I can hardly listen to them any more. Fleet Foxes are good.

Very surpising you would say they were not good live.  When did you see them?   All I can say is that I saw them at the Tower in Philly this past year (right before the MMJ Merriweather show) and they were REALLY awesome.

The one thing I can say that was dissapointing was the crowd.  My wife and I were rocking out and getting down and I think we were the only ones in the crowd dancing.  It was really strange.  Most people were just standing around, nobody was even bobbing their heads.  Very strange.

I would see BoH anytime they were around.  I cant get enough of all their albums.  Needless to say BoH opening up for MMJ is just awesome!!!
Flip Flip Flipadelphia

e_wind

Quote from: StaggerLee on Oct 10, 2011, 02:27 PM

Very surpising you would say they were not good live.  When did you see them?   All I can say is that I saw them at the Tower in Philly this past year (right before the MMJ Merriweather show) and they were REALLY awesome.

The one thing I can say that was dissapointing was the crowd.  My wife and I were rocking out and getting down and I think we were the only ones in the crowd dancing.  It was really strange.  Most people were just standing around, nobody was even bobbing their heads.  Very strange.

I would see BoH anytime they were around.  I cant get enough of all their albums.  Needless to say BoH opening up for MMJ is just awesome!!!

after I saw the foxes live, I realize that BoH are wayyy more awesome live. I too am excited to see them open for MMJ

davymac

I really like FF sun giant EP...I like listening to FF in the fall/winter as well.  As for BoH my favorite album is everything all the time

still have yet to see either of them live though

StaggerLee

Right after the MMJ Mann show in Philly; my wife and talked about what a dream concert would be.  We said MMJ and BoH co-headlining.  Ofcourse thats not happening; but the next best thing.  MSG with MMJ and BoH opening.  That means there is a very good chance having two of my favorite bands play together.  Or at least a few member of BoH coming out to play with MMJ.  Un-flipping-real!  Can't wait.
Flip Flip Flipadelphia