White Stripes just split up

Started by Jaimoe, Feb 02, 2011, 01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaimoe

This is perhaps the worst music news for me. I love them more than any current primetime band. I love The Dead Weather and like The Raconteurs, but the Stripes blow them away (and most bands for that matter). Fucking sucks.

http://arts.nationalpost.com/2011/02/02/the-white-stripes-announce-split/

Ghosts_on_TV

Just came to post this. Shitty indeed.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

HighlySuspicious

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
They're my favorite band of all time.  I just don't think anything can touch the amount of love, appreciation, adoration, awe, excitement, etc I have for both of them and the music they produced together.  One of my greatest dreams was seeing them live someday.... What a thoroughly depressing day. 

Jaimoe

Quote from: HighlySuspicious on Feb 02, 2011, 02:04 PM
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
They're my favorite band of all time.  I just don't think anything can touch the amount of love, appreciation, adoration, awe, excitement, etc I have for both of them and the music they produced together.  One of my greatest dreams was seeing them live someday.... What a thoroughly depressing day.

I know this will further depress you, but they are/were one of the great live bands ever. I've seen them 4 times and their show in Toronto in 2007, as part of their now legendary and historically important cross-Canada tour, is in my Top 3 all-time.

capt. scotty

Damn..really wanted to see them live sometime.

I need to investigate the Wanda Jackson album further, but on first glance it didnt catch me at all and if Jack White wasnt involved it would be an afterthought...I also think Dead Weather arent anything better than average...this news sucks pretty bad
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Jaimoe

Quote from: capt. scotty on Feb 02, 2011, 02:25 PM
Damn..really wanted to see them live sometime.

I need to investigate the Wanda Jackson album further, but on first glance it didnt catch me at all and if Jack White wasnt involved it would be an afterthought...I also think Dead Weather arent anything better than average...this news sucks pretty bad

The Dead Weather are awsome, but they are a grower band for some. I've seen them live they killed it. Heavy and scary blues (with a bit of driving funk grooves) with slamming jams.

ManNamedTruth

This sucks, i never got to see them live either but at least I saw The Raconteurs who I think are also done with. I wasn't too impressed with the newest Dead Weather album, anxiously awaiting to see what Jack does next.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

johnnYYac

from their website:

The White Stripes would like to announce that today, February 2nd, 2011,
their band has officially ended and will make no further new recordings or perform live.

The reason is not due to artistic differences or lack of wanting to continue, nor any
health issues as both Meg and Jack are feeling fine and in good health.

It is for a myriad of reasons, but mostly to preserve What is beautiful and special about
the band and have it stay that way.

Meg and Jack want to thank every one of their fans and admirers for the incredible
support they have given throughout the 13 plus years of the White Stripes' intense and
incredible career.

Third Man Records will continue to put out unreleased live and studio recordings from
The White Stripes in their Vault Subscription record club, as well as through regular
channels.

Both Meg and Jack hope this decision isn't met with sorrow by their fans but that it is
seen as a positive move done out of respect for the art and music that the band has
created. It is also done with the utmost respect to those fans who've shared in those
creations, with their feelings considered greatly.

With that in mind the band have this to say:

"The White Stripes do not belong to Meg and Jack anymore. The White Stripes belong
to you now and you can do with it whatever you want. The beauty of art and music is
that it can last forever if people want it to. Thank you for sharing this experience. Your
involvement will never be lost on us and we are truly grateful."

Sincerely,
Meg and Jack White
The White Stripes

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

el_chode

Not to be cynically optimistic, but did this already happen once?

I was holding out hope for a tour this summer or something. Never saw them live.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Jaimoe

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Feb 02, 2011, 03:06 PM
This sucks, i never got to see them live either but at least I saw The Raconteurs who I think are also done with. I wasn't too impressed with the newest Dead Weather album, anxiously awaiting to see what Jack does next.

The new DW is better than their debut, but it takes a few listens.

Jaimoe

Quote from: el_chode on Feb 02, 2011, 03:19 PM
Not to be cynically optimistic, but did this already happen once?

I was holding out hope for a tour this summer or something. Never saw them live.

They went on extended hiatus after their Canadian tour since Meg developed severe stage anxiety.

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: Jaimoe on Feb 02, 2011, 03:41 PM

I listened to it enough, I just prefer Horehound. I also prefer Raconteurs to Dead Weather. Several friends and I were considering seeing them in Chicago and then they canceled all those shows.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

wolof7

Man that sucks....Loved this band from the beginning. It's too bad they couldn't just come out with stuff periodically rather than out and out quit. However, their legacy is certainly a strong and stellar one!

As Mr. Young so eloquently put it: It's better to burn out than to fade away

R.I.P White Stripes

I always found your drummer to be really sexy
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Jaimoe

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Feb 02, 2011, 03:49 PM
Quote from: Jaimoe on Feb 02, 2011, 03:41 PM

I listened to it enough, I just prefer Horehound. I also prefer Raconteurs to Dead Weather. Several friends and I were considering seeing them in Chicago and then they canceled all those shows.

So does my wife, although not as a live band, although both are great. The Dead Weather are hard-hitting and nasty in concert.

capt. scotty

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Feb 02, 2011, 03:49 PM
I also prefer Raconteurs to Dead Weather.

Same...I can listen to Dead Weather, but I dont like it all that much.

I wouldnt be surprised if Jack White's next band is much more in the vein of TWS than any of these other side projects. Maybe thats just optimism by me, but in the least I think he'll take the lead of this new band, unlike Raconteurs and DW
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

walterfredo

I love the Raconteurs, and don't think we've seen the last of them.

This news saddens me.  I never got to see the Stripes.  Had tickets to see them at the Berkeley Greek when they canceled the tour.  So bummed.

BH

Dang, what a bummer.   I was lucky enough to see the WS once at The Fox in St. Louis.  Amazing show for sure.   One of my favorite bands as well.   I guess I feel the most sad about Meg.  I know I will be able to get my fill of Jack, one of the most amazing musicians of our time.   But something tells me I'll never see Meg again, live or otherwise.   Hope I'm wrong.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

.Walt

Much Greater Than Science Fiction

bold992006

I absolutely loved this band.  I really have no idea why they would break up.  I just seems like Jack has such a good thing going on with his studio..they could make an album in a week. 

I got to see these guys about 10 times...amazing Live band.

kydiddle

This bums me out. I never saw them live and probably never will. Remove them from the "bucket list". I've watched this probably a gazillion times today. Well...three or four.

The White Stripes - White Moon [Under Great White Northern Lights last scene]
Cow temperature.