Started by pawpaw, Feb 15, 2011, 01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: bbill on Feb 15, 2011, 04:17 PM
Quote from: wolof7 on Feb 15, 2011, 03:16 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on Feb 15, 2011, 01:52 PM
Can I play by Wolof's rules? ;D

HA I pretty much ignored the thread title sorry, my b bbill

Outta respect let's take the national out of there....the other 3 fit just fine!

btw Ruckus nice Rush picks I was tempted to list 2112-Signals but I thought it would be disrespecting the game  ;D

;D No problem dude. The rule was mostly in place for when the Cap'n comes in here and tries to list 35 three-album runs and steal everyone elses thunder.

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Feb 15, 2011, 03:28 PM
ReEDIT: Just saw that Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out is a live album and wasn't listed on the first discography site I researched. I guess that counts, but I still think the 3 I listed is more proper.

Except that I made the rules to this silly little game and said that live albums are included. Thanks for trying to keep things proper though.  ;D

Quote from: mike on Feb 15, 2011, 02:50 PM
Well in my case it was simply impossible to name only 3. I could however cut it off at the 5 I named. Really there are countless bands for me who have great 3 album runs in their peaks and some who would be included more than one time with 3 album runs at different points in their careers.

Dude, this almost requires its own thread. The fact that we're only considering consecutive releases disqualifies a lot of bands from this elite group, imo. Neil Young definitely has multiple plateaus of 3-album runs of greatness throughout his career though.

I must've missed that part. That still means Pennylane is disqualified unless she changes it proper.  ;)
Acceptable alternates:
Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile or...
Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Murph

Black Keys:
Big Come Up
Thickfreakness
Rubber Factory

Black Keys:
Magic Potion
Attack and Release
Brothers

bowl of soup

I like games.

Pixies

Come On Pilgrim
Surfer Rosa
Doolittle

Afghan Whigs

Gentlemen
Black Love

Husker Du

Zen Arcade
New Day Rising
Flip Your Wig
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

pawpaw

Quote from: bowl of soup on Feb 16, 2011, 10:41 AM
I like games.

Pixies

Come On Pilgrim
Surfer Rosa
Doolittle

Afghan Whigs

Gentlemen
Black Love

Husker Du

Zen Arcade
New Day Rising
Flip Your Wig

'Tsup Soup. 'Tsgood ta see ya.  8)

If we were playing a game called "Guess whose Runs-of-3 these are," I would've gotten yours right, without a doubt.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Jon T.

Neil Young: Everybody Knows this is Nowhere, After the Gold Rush, Harvest
My Morning Jacket: this one is really tough..  Definitely At Dawn and It still Moves.  It's the one on either end that really gets me.  I guess I'll go with -TTF, AD, ISM.  Are you holding us to this Bbill?
Tool- Undertow, AEnima, Lateralus.  I'm kind of cheating a little here because I'm not sure Undertow belongs, but the two album run of Aenima and Lateralus is too good to pass up.

Cool game.

bowl of soup

Quote from: bbill on Feb 16, 2011, 01:31 PM
I like games.

Pixies

Come On Pilgrim
Surfer Rosa
Doolittle

Afghan Whigs

Gentlemen
Black Love

Husker Du

Zen Arcade
New Day Rising
Flip Your Wig

If we were playing a game called "Guess whose Runs-of-3 these are," I would've gotten yours right, without a doubt.

I'm just stuck in my ways and really, really boring.  Two of my initial thoughts were Echo & the Bunnymen - Ocean Rain, Echo & the Bunnymen (but bookended by Porcupine and Reverberation - no thanks to either) and Smashing Pumpkins - Gish, Siamese Dream (but then Melon Collie...  Despite all my rage, this album could have been made by Ugly Kid Joe for all I care).

Twilight Singers Blackberry Belle, Powder Burns, and the just-released Dynamite Steps might do it for me.  You'd have to skip She Loves you, but that was a covers album and I'd need a ruling as to whether that counts or not.  There's also about ten years in between the albums - the Husker 3 were done in like less than 2 years.  But again, Greg Dulli - man I'm stuck in a rut.  "I got sixteen hours to burn and I'm gonna stay up all night!"
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

pawpaw

Quote from: bowl of soup on Feb 16, 2011, 02:56 PM
Quote from: bbill on Feb 16, 2011, 01:31 PM
I like games.

Pixies

Come On Pilgrim
Surfer Rosa
Doolittle

Afghan Whigs

Gentlemen
Black Love

Husker Du

Zen Arcade
New Day Rising
Flip Your Wig

I'm just stuck in my ways and really, really boring.  Two of my initial thoughts were Echo & the Bunnymen - Ocean Rain, Echo & the Bunnymen (but bookended by Porcupine and Reverberation - no thanks to either) and Smashing Pumpkins - Gish, Siamese Dream (but then Melon Collie...  Despite all my rage, this album could have been made by Ugly Kid Joe for all I care).

Twilight Singers Blackberry Belle, Powder Burns, and the just-released Dynamite Steps might do it for me.  You'd have to skip She Loves you, but that was a covers album and I'd need a ruling as to whether that counts or not.  There's also about ten years in between the albums - the Husker 3 were done in like less than 2 years.  But again, Greg Dulli - man I'm stuck in a rut.  "I got sixteen hours to burn and I'm gonna stay up all night!"

;D That's not a bad thing. If anything, it just shows you have good, uncompromising tastes in music!

pawpaw

Quote from: Jon T. on Feb 16, 2011, 02:40 PM
Neil Young: Everybody Knows this is Nowhere, After the Gold Rush, Harvest
My Morning Jacket: this one is really tough..  Definitely At Dawn and It still Moves.  It's the one on either end that really gets me.  I guess I'll go with -TTF, AD, ISM.  Are you holding us to this Bbill?Tool- Undertow, AEnima, Lateralus.  I'm kind of cheating a little here because I'm not sure Undertow belongs, but the two album run of Aenima and Lateralus is too good to pass up.

Cool game.

Yes. I'm having my stone carvers chisel away some granite tablets right now with these results. The tablets will be on display in front of the Stockton Pvblic Library for the world to see, so you better get it right.

Three really great albums released consecutively are pretty rare, imo. I think those Tool picks are solid though.

pawpaw

pawpaw

Alright, this is the last one of my multiple post run, which I'm going to nominate for a new thread I'll be starting called "Favorite Consecutive 4-Post Run Of All-Time."

::Pours a little OE on the street for our homies no longer wit us::

In honor of MJK and DB, I'm going to nominate:

Supergrass

I Should Coco
In It for the Money
Supergrass

Penny Lane

Quote from: bbill on Feb 16, 2011, 04:31 PM

Supergrass

I Should Coco
In It for the Money
Supergrass

YES YES YES
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

ralph

R.E.M:
Green
Out Of Time
Automatic For the People

Neil Young:
Time Fades Away
On The Beach
Tonights The Night

Pearl Jam:
Vitalogy
No Code
Yield
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

Jaimoe

The Who:

Live at Leeds
Who's Next
Quadrophenia

(more to add later)

FiddleCastro

I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

e_wind

MMJ - AD, ISM, Z
Pearl Jam - 10, Vs., Vitalogy
Flaming Lips - Soft Bulliten, At War, Yoshimi
Lucero - Tennesee, That Much Further West, Nobody's Darlings
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

rincon

Some redundancy here, but it justifies the logic of the picks

The Who
Tommy  Who's Next, Quad...with Live at Leads in the middle

Stones
Beggars Banquette, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers...With Ya Ya's in the middle, I can appreciate Exile, but it is a rough listen, and I think overrated.

MMJ
Any 3 in a row...with Okonosis in the middle

Those 3 get extra credit for having 3 of the best live albums ever in their run

Ruckus

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Jon T.

ManNamedTruth

That's motherfuckin' John Oates!