Public Broadcasting funding cuts...(read this shit)

Started by Sticky Icky Green Stuff, Feb 17, 2011, 10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

yo my fellow jacket fans, both lovely or masculine, we must save public radio's funding.  it's most likely going to mess with your local stations.  these cuts are going to fuck up WDET and they're great local news.   anyway, go to the site below and take two minutes to fill out the shit.  it takes care of the bullshit for you, if you feel like making it more person do it.  but do it right now because congress is voting this week, maybe next:

http://170millionamericans.org/

cuts to libraries, cuts to public radio, etc and it's only feb.  we need to cockblock these corporate assholes immediately.  fucking idiots are willing to put our voices up for auction.  drives me crazy.

johnnYYac

Thanks for rallying the troops, Sticky.  All these cuts while the top 2% keep their 10-year-old tax cuts.  A damn shame.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Hawkeye

Yes, I heard this on NPR yesterday.  They were saying that NPR would survive but several small local stations would be eliminated.  Just filled out the form and notified 6 friends!
We could.

el_chode

There's a flip side, though it's one of those "it sounds nice on paper" and "rarely works out in reality"

For what its worth, I used to be the GM of a low-wattage radio station. It's how I got exposed to MMJ all those many many years ago.

The government DID just pass a law deregulating the industry for low-frequency community radio, which in theory should allow for a lot more community radio stations to spring up everywhere.

Of course then you have to deal with the fact that (a) FCC licenses can be expensive (b) your market might already be so flooded there's no available wavelengths and (c) it's just damn expensive to get involve.

It's one of those things that I can't help but wonder if the government couldn't be saving more money by not making the market to expensive to get in to begin with and then bring down the costs of operation across the board.
I'm surrounded by assholes

johnnYYac

Quote from: el_chode on Feb 18, 2011, 09:18 AM
There's a flip side, though it's one of those "it sounds nice on paper" and "rarely works out in reality"

For what its worth, I used to be the GM of a low-wattage radio station. It's how I got exposed to MMJ all those many many years ago.

The government DID just pass a law deregulating the industry for low-frequency community radio, which in theory should allow for a lot more community radio stations to spring up everywhere.

Of course then you have to deal with the fact that (a) FCC licenses can be expensive (b) your market might already be so flooded there's no available wavelengths and (c) it's just damn expensive to get involve.

It's one of those things that I can't help but wonder if the government couldn't be saving more money by not making the market to expensive to get in to begin with and then bring down the costs of operation across the board.
Time to start WMMJ radio?  I'm in.  I call DJ for rush hour!  Who's with me?
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

el_chode

Quote from: johnnYYac on Feb 18, 2011, 09:48 AM
Quote from: el_chode on Feb 18, 2011, 09:18 AM

Time to start WMMJ radio?  I'm in.  I call DJ for rush hour!  Who's with me?

I've actually wanted to do that for a while, I just never knew how to get funding to cover royalty issues. The way you start a station is two-steps: capital for your broadcast license/FCC permits and donations of old equipment. Alternatively, a MMJ stream like Ween or Phish/nugs etc. But then you go up against trying to pay for royalties. I'm always full of ideas, never know how to execute.

For what it's worth, here's some info on starting stations and that recent de-reg I mentioned.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

it just seems to me like the right would benefit from having public radio become broke.  the cuts at WDET are going to be around 219k for the year.  flat out massive cut.  the cut is instant also if this shit passes.  not next year or in a couple years, but instantly.  it costs about $1.35 a year per person to fund public broadcasting and it's without a doubt a benefit culturally and is a benefit to our communities in general. 

if people can't afford 11-12cents a month that's fucking insane.  especially since we've been doing it for decades.  it's a fraction of a penny per day.  it's nice listening to a station that's not saturated with 15minute commercial breaks.  conservatives are evil as shit.

ManNamedTruth

That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

from WDET:

"Today the House eliminated all funding for public radio/ TV. Regardless of your political beliefs, this is a setback to everyone who loves public broadcasting and value it as a healthy, vibrant local option. THANK YOU if you contacted Congress. It made an impact. Please make certain Senators Levin and Stabenow know how you feel and get involved with 170 MA for PB. - Mikel Ellcessor, WDET General Manager"

el_chode

At least NASCAR has another sponsor.

They're also requiring the cars to turn to the right from now on as a condition

MMJ_fanatic

Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Feb 18, 2011, 06:21 PM
it just seems to me like the right would benefit from having public radio become broke.    conservatives are evil as shit.

So you'd be OK if the federal government spent $1.35 per citizen on radio stations that only spewed conservative tilted reports?  As far as I'm concerned, if the left wants to keep pushing for the "fairness doctrine" in radio then they need to change NPR's title to NLR (national liberal radio) and PBS can be PLBS--truth in advertising right?  Then we can set up their polar opposites (NCR AND NCBS--though the latter may be too close to CBS for comfort) for the conservative-minded American.  PBS and NPR are publicly funded Democrat cheerleaders and should learn to compete in the free market--it should be interesting to watch.  Liberals are evil as shit ::)
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Jaimoe

For the first time ever, I'm going to donate money to the Buffalo PBS station during their next pledge drive. I can't get enough of Masterpiece Theatre, Nova and the odd classic film - and would hate to see great programming disappear.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: MMJ_fanatic on Feb 22, 2011, 02:20 AM
Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Feb 18, 2011, 06:21 PM
it just seems to me like the right would benefit from having public radio become broke.    conservatives are evil as shit.

So you'd be OK if the federal government spent $1.35 per citizen on radio stations that only spewed conservative tilted reports?  As far as I'm concerned, if the left wants to keep pushing for the "fairness doctrine" in radio then they need to change NPR's title to NLR (national liberal radio) and PBS can be PLBS--truth in advertising right?  Then we can set up their polar opposites (NCR AND NCBS--though the latter may be too close to CBS for comfort) for the conservative-minded American.  PBS and NPR are publicly funded Democrat cheerleaders and should learn to compete in the free market--it should be interesting to watch.  Liberals are evil as shit ::)

this isn't some brand new thing we're talking about here fanatic. at least NPR lets both sides talk, the fact that they lean slightly left of center is necessary.  If they were conservatives they would simply shutdown every single person they disagree with.  I don't see or hear that on NPR/PBS ever.  to me it's a peaceful organization that is as unbiased as news can be.