lawyers how do I get out of jury duty without getting arrested/fined?

Started by Sticky Icky Green Stuff, Feb 19, 2011, 03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

yo lawyers and smarty pants,
   how the fuck do I get out of jury duty?  I don't believe in the law or our justice systems.  cops can suck my cock.  I've been summoned, how do I get out of it legally?  what a day killer.

el_chode

I'm surrounded by assholes

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: el_chode on Feb 19, 2011, 03:32 PM
be honest*

*this is not legal advice

last time I went I didn't even get called so I just waited there all day. 

el_chode

Oh you're talking about not even having to show up at the Courthouse? I think you need to provide valid excuse, such as in school. I'm not sure on that, but I think the typical rule is if you can show hardship then you're excused.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: el_chode on Feb 19, 2011, 03:51 PM
Oh you're talking about not even having to show up at the Courthouse? I think you need to provide valid excuse, such as in school. I'm not sure on that, but I think the typical rule is if you can show hardship then you're excused.

yeah I don't want to waste my time with these bitches, it's not worth the 12bucks.  my great grandma is on her death bed, she might die soon.  can I use that?  or do I need some doctors note to tell them I'm sad about it? 

el_chode

Beyond my knowledge, to be honest. I'd imagine you'd need some form of documentation though to show them.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: el_chode on Feb 19, 2011, 04:09 PM
Beyond my knowledge, to be honest. I'd imagine you'd need some form of documentation though to show them.

figures.  I guess the best I can hope for is they call my # earlier than later.  last time I wanted to rip my eyes out sitting in that chair.  at least then I had finals to study for.  maybe I'll whip it out and start beatin it.  fuck our civic duties.

Ruckus

School is always a legit reason if you iz still lurning. 

As for your great grandma, there is this:

'If you are responsible for the care of children or elderly family members, you may be given an excuse to get out of jury duty. You must be able to prove that you cannot get someone else to do your job for you while you are serving on the jury and you must show up on the date of your summons. This is especially true if you are the caregiver for someone who needs specialized treatment that you have been trained to provide.'

Of course if you show up at the courthouse, you have to be pretty dumb to be selected for a jury if you don't want to serve.  Just show bias and you will be politely excused from the case at hand.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: Ruckus on Feb 19, 2011, 04:28 PM
School is always a legit reason if you iz still lurning. 

As for your great grandma, there is this:

'If you are responsible for the care of children or elderly family members, you may be given an excuse to get out of jury duty. You must be able to prove that you cannot get someone else to do your job for you while you are serving on the jury and you must show up on the date of your summons. This is especially true if you are the caregiver for someone who needs specialized treatment that you have been trained to provide.'

Of course if you show up at the courthouse, you have to be pretty dumb to be selected for a jury if you don't want to serve.  Just show bias and you will be politely excused from the case at hand.

we shall see muahaha.  they won't even let me bring my phone in to get my text on. like whateverz.

lucylew

I think it depends on the individual county court you are in.  In Sacramento county, it is very, very difficult getting out of jury duty.  They pretty much assume every reason given is bullshit, even if it is indeed real.  I know from personal experience.

danz

i simply tell them that i hold my opinion higher than the law.  it hasn't failed me yet, though i still don't understand the whole selection procedure where they waste everyone's time just role calling and such, only to be summoned back the next day for something that could be handled more efficiently

tdb810

Quote from: lucylew on Feb 19, 2011, 10:23 PM
I think it depends on the individual county court you are in.  In Sacramento county, it is very, very difficult getting out of jury duty.  They pretty much assume every reason given is bullshit, even if it is indeed real.  I know from personal experience.

Same with Jersey. I don't know anyone who has gotten out of it, regardless of their situation. Take it from me, I get called every three years like clockwork, and have tried a few different excuses - childcare, eldercare, job, school --the man doesn't want to hear it.

Personally, i think we could use more Stickys in the jury pool. 
.....Back at the Model Home

br00ke

everyone in nyc gets called for jury duty alllll the time. so far i've only gotten called once though and they have this rad system that requires you to phone the morning your supposed to come in and it tells you if you actually have to show or not and i was told i did not but i would get credit for jury duty .. i.e. they leave me alone for i swear they said 5 years. i think it's a shorter amount of time now though. sorry guess that isn't very helpful for you.

my boss got out of it once ... something about us not being able to do business w/o him. he got selected for a jury once (two weeks it lasted) and we weren't able to have any photo shoots the entire time.. i.e. serious loss of money for the studio.

ynwa

i posted the same exact thing in another thread just last month.  i think it was the "ask sticky" one, tbh  ;D

anyway, i sent the questionaire back w/ a Dr's note & luckily they accepted my excuse.  there were a few different excuse types that they (Bergen County, NJ) would "consider", like Ruckus & a few others mentioned.  but you will have to submit documentation to support your claim.

good luck!
"You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: ynwa on Feb 23, 2011, 09:10 AM
i posted the same exact thing in another thread just last month.  i think it was the "ask sticky" one, tbh  ;D

anyway, i sent the questionaire back w/ a Dr's note & luckily they accepted my excuse.  there were a few different excuse types that they (Bergen County, NJ) would "consider", like Ruckus & a few others mentioned.  but you will have to submit documentation to support your claim.

good luck!

I need to do this.  this shit is giving me panic attacks.  I hate court and cops.

ynwa

Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Mar 03, 2011, 10:58 AM

good luck!

I need to do this.  this shit is giving me panic attacks.  I hate court and cops.

maybe you can get a Dr's note from that recent injury which is causing you such severe neck & back pain?  so much pain that you have difficulty sitting for long periods of time... 

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: ynwa on Mar 04, 2011, 11:38 AM

good luck!

maybe you can get a Dr's note from that recent injury which is causing you such severe neck & back pain?  so much pain that you have difficulty sitting for long periods of time...

I have achieved my intentions and scored a doctors note! bam! fuck you court system.   And I thought having panic attacks and anxiety was a bad thing muahaha.

ynwa

Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Mar 04, 2011, 12:25 PM
Quote from: ynwa on Mar 04, 2011, 11:38 AM

good luck!

I have achieved my intentions and scored a doctors note! bam! fuck you court system.   And I thought having panic attacks and anxiety was a bad thing muahaha.

:thumbsup: stick it to 'em, sticky!