Main Menu

The Sheepdogs

Started by The Ditchrider, Mar 02, 2011, 06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ditchrider

Has anyone heard of these guys?  The album Learn and Burn is absolutely fantastic.  A great mix of all different influences...great music.  Some Allman Bros, Stones, Guess Who, Black Keys, a lil' Beatles, Chicago maybe.  Great vocalist, three part harmonies.

Check them out.

Jaimoe

Thank you!!!!!!!

The CBC did a feature a few weeks ago on this up-and-coming Canadian indie band and I forgot their name. I won't forget it now, thanks to your post!!

Fans of CCR, Guess Who, Allmans, Dead, Zeppelin etc... check these maniacs from Saskatoon out!

http://www.myspace.com/thesheepdogs

The Ditchrider

No problem.  They really are a great band and I hope more people check them out.  They offer a free download of their 2008 album on their website.  I have only heard their latest Learn and Burn and I cant stop listening...forgot about the Grateful Dead similarities on some songs!

Take care

Jaimoe

I see that they are on tour and are playing NYC on the 24th as well as SXSW on the 18th of March. I'd go to see them in Toronto next Friday, but I work the night shift. Maybe I'll walk by at 11pm on my lunch break; I work near the famed Horseshoe Tavern. Great band and thanks.

.Walt

Nice tunes. I can hear the similarities of the bands mentioned for sure.  8)
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

The Ditchrider

Quote from: Jaimoe on Mar 03, 2011, 04:16 PM
I see that they are on tour and are playing NYC on the 24th as well as SXSW on the 18th of March. I'd go to see them in Toronto next Friday, but I work the night shift. Maybe I'll walk by at 11pm on my lunch break; I work near the famed Horseshoe Tavern. Great band and thanks.

They have a few upcoming Canada shows...I see a London Ontario gig...kinda far for me being in Ohio.  Hopefully they will swing by closer to me...what I have watched on youtube they are awesome live, even with youtube quality.  they do some nice acoustic versions as well.

TheBigChicken

love the sound these guys have !
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

Ruckus

What a great throwback sound done right.  Put's a smile on my face. :beer:  Pretty cool that they offer the Big Stand as a free download.  I just downloaded Learn and Burn as well. 

Here's last year's daytrotter

http://www.daytrotter.com/dt/the-sheepdogs-pop-montreal-session-concert/20054402-110568.html
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

The Ditchrider

Hey thanks for the link for the session Ruckus!

Jaimoe

There's lots of Americana in their sound, but they are also rooted in classic Canadian roots rock such as The Band, Neil Young and Guess Who. Of course, these bands helped shape classic Americana as well.

wolof7

Ha! I have been avoiding some of the more recent thread posts of new bands bc I have been in the "there-are-too-many-bands-I'm-involved-with-right-now-to-care-and-learn-about-nevermind-listen-to," mode.

Anyone ever get like that?

Thankfully I kept seein this come up to the top of the thread list and thankfully I like sheepdogs in general. Anyways great listen, this is hittin right in my wheelhouse right now. Thanks again board members  :thumbsup:
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Ruckus

Quote from: wolof7 on Mar 07, 2011, 09:54 PM
Ha! I have been avoiding some of the more recent thread posts of new bands bc I have been in the "there-are-too-many-bands-I'm-involved-with-right-now-to-care-and-learn-about-nevermind-listen-to," mode.

Thankfully I kept seein this come up to the top of the thread list and thankfully I like sheepdogs in general. Anyways great listen, this is hittin right in my wheelhouse right now. Thanks again board members  :thumbsup:

I'm with ya Wolof!  I guess I'm fortunate in that I have a job that allows me to listen to music all day but even then I hit new music overload a lot.  There's just sooo much amazing stuff out there that I want to listen to and support. 

Now if you would start a Rush thread and DB or Buawwwwwww would get the metal thread started ;) ;D

Jaimoe

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 07, 2011, 11:34 PM
Quote from: wolof7 on Mar 07, 2011, 09:54 PM

I'm with ya Wolof!  I guess I'm fortunate in that I have a job that allows me to listen to music all day but even then I hit new music overload a lot.  There's just sooo much amazing stuff out there that I want to listen to and support. 

Now if you would start a Rush thread and DB or Buawwwwwww would get the metal thread started ;) ;D

Ha! I have a job that requires me to listen to or watch music-related programming all day and night. However, I hit music overload and most of it is very very bad. Ah well, at least I'm in a union.

ChronicHunger

Wow thank you, best new band ive heard since J Roddy and the bidness :beer:

is learn and burn download only?

The Ditchrider

Quote from: ChronicHunger on Mar 15, 2011, 03:47 AM

The only thing I see is an upcoming import CD version of Learn & Burn for around $32 being released on March 29th on Amazon. They have a free download of their second album Big Stand on their website and you can get the download of L&B on their site or Amazon as well...sorry I wasn't of more help.  Didn't even see a merch section on their page.  Anyone at SXSW may be able to see if they are selling discs at their shows?

Ruckus

Man does the album version of Right On's guitar lick remind me of Pink Floyd's Dogs! 

I love these guys but man every song reminds me of older stuff.  Even the 1st two tracks of the Big Stand kinda remind me of Bobby Dead no?

The Ditchrider

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 17, 2011, 01:58 AM
Man does the album version of Right On's guitar lick remind me of Pink Floyd's Dogs! 

I love these guys but man every song reminds me of older stuff.  Even the 1st two tracks of the Big Stand kinda remind me of Bobby Dead no?
Agreed they remind me of all sorts of bands but I dont mind.  At least they are pulling from great older bands and not crappy older bands!

And I completely agree with the Weir sound

EasyRyder

is it just me or is music getting better and better by the month nowadays  :D :D :D

Thanks for the heads up, dudes....they NEED to tour the South. How is it that Canadians capture that signature Southern sound better than most "southerners"??
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

wolof7

Agreed,

There is some serious soul/R&B on Rollo Tamasi, Suddenly and Learn & Burn and others. These guys are great throwbacks which can never go out of style. Great albums. Thanks again board, been diggin these albums this week!

did anyone else see that they are up for a contest on rolling stone, finding a featured up and coming band for the cover? I hope on a level they don't get it. Justin Beiber, Snooki, Sheepdogs? I'll give that a big Gob Bluthe "C'mon!"
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

TheBigChicken

Quote from: wolof7 on Mar 17, 2011, 02:14 PM

Agreed,

There is some serious soul/R&B on Rollo Tamasi, Suddenly and Learn & Burn and others. These guys are great throwbacks which can never go out of style. Great albums. Thanks again board, been diggin these albums this week!

did anyone else see that they are up for a contest on rolling stone, finding a featured up and coming band for the cover? I hope on a level they don't get it. Justin Beiber, Snooki, Sheepdogs? I'll give that a big Gob Bluthe "C'mon!"

I voted for them 8)
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry