CIRCUITAL- What we know so far...

Started by johnnYYac, Mar 03, 2011, 03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Honest Man

the title "Holdin' on to Black Metal" alone is awesome. There can't be a song with that title that blows. Can't wait to hear it.
The fact that my hearts beating, is all the proof you need.

The DARK

Quote from: Ghosts_on_T5 on Mar 18, 2011, 07:51 PM
Nice! The lack of friends again being mentioned anywhere despite it being played before makes me wonder if it made the cut.

I was wondering that, but don't forget that our only real source of track info is Rolling Stone. Maybe they just didn't think of it as a highlight.
In another time, in another place, in another face

e_wind

I will be highly upset if friends again gets cut. Didn't they play it at EU T5? That means it wasn't thrown away I think
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: e_wind on Mar 21, 2011, 01:29 PM
I will be highly upset if friends again gets cut. Didn't they play it at EU T5? That means it wasn't thrown away I think

They did. They also played oxen a bunch of times before Z came out, so I don't think that means too much. I'm not saying I think it got cut. But it has me wondering.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Ruckus

Quote from: Ghosts_on_T5 on Mar 21, 2011, 02:42 PM

They did. They also played oxen a bunch of times before Z came out, so I don't think that means too much. I'm not saying I think it got cut. But it has me wondering.

Seems like I'm in the minority on this one but I really don't care for that song too much.  Perhaps a studio makeover can remove some of the campiness from it a little but otherwise I'd be glad to take it as a bonus vinyl track while songs yet unheard make the Final Cut.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Jon T.

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 21, 2011, 02:53 PM

Seems like I'm in the minority on this one but I really don't care for that song too much.  Perhaps a studio makeover can remove some of the campiness from it a little but otherwise I'd be glad to take it as a bonus vinyl track while songs yet unheard make the Final Cut.

I'm with you on this one.  I do like the jam in it but not really feeling the
doobydoobydoo-ness  of it.

darkglow

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 21, 2011, 02:53 PM

AMEN... brother..

jrod00

Is it not a bit strange that a release date for Circuital hasn't been announced yet?

oistheone

Not sure if it has already been posted, but I saw this in Rolling Stone's Spring Music Preview and it looked like fresh news to me:

QuoteTracked mostly live in a Louisville, Kentucky, church gym, MMJ's sixth studio album "came out sort of easy," says frontman Jim James. Songs such as the groove-driven "The Day Is Coming" and the delicate "Slow Slow Tune" give the record a more laid-back feel than 2008's Evil Urges. Drummer Patrick Hallahan delivers his most restrained performances yet, leaving more room for bassist Two-Tone Tommy to stretch out. "I would give them very simple demos," says James. "There's something so special about just playing in the room with everybody and letting it be what it's going to be."

EDIT - Well, I'm an idiot. Should have looked on the previous page before posting. But hey, there's no excitement like double excitement.

wolof7

Yeah, you excited me again for the song titled "the Day is Coming" that tune just has the name to do some destruction!  :D
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

wakebord

anyone think that the "eminence front" intro that the guys played last spring on tour might make its way to the album somehow?  when i saw the "holding on to black metal" song title i thought immediately of that intro.

e_wind

Quote from: wakebord on Mar 29, 2011, 09:26 PM
anyone think that the "eminence front" intro that the guys played last spring on tour might make its way to the album somehow?  when i saw the "holding on to black metal" song title i thought immediately of that intro.

that would be awesome. that intro was awesome.

smalltown79

Isn't the eminence front thing a who cover? 

I agree with the above post.  Friends Again isn't that bad, but it's probably not making an album.

johnnYYac

Quote from: smalltown79 on Apr 01, 2011, 03:44 PM

I agree with the above post.  Friends Again isn't that bad, but it's probably not making an album.
The intro is not a cover, but merely quite reminicient of The Who's "Eminence Front", IMHO.  I doubt we'll see it on Circuital.  On the other hand, I expect to see Friends Again as one of the tracks on the new album.  I also expect to be wrong with some of my assumptions.  ;D
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

darkglow

Quote from: johnnYYac on Apr 01, 2011, 04:31 PM
Quote from: smalltown79 on Apr 01, 2011, 03:44 PM

The intro is not a cover, but merely quite reminicient of The Who's "Eminence Front", IMHO.  I doubt we'll see it on Circuital.  On the other hand, I expect to see Friends Again as one of the tracks on the new album.  I also expect to be wrong with some of my assumptions.  ;D

judging from the time they played that short intro jam.. i'm thinking that was the first part of a really badass song in the making.. then they went back to the studio and recorded it with a bunch of hot chicks (female backing vocals)

e_wind

So holdin' on... is 4:19
and circuital is 7:16

that leaves an average of about 4 minutes per song for the rest of the record. I'm hoping for something else at least as long as circuital.

TSarge

Quote from: e_wind on Apr 12, 2011, 12:41 PM

that leaves an average of about 4 minutes per song for the rest of the record. I'm hoping for something else at least as long as circuital.

How do we know Holdin' On is 4:19? Has it been released?

sweatboard

FROM NPR......

Today, we unveil the title cut from the upcoming My Morning Jacket album, Circuital. The full-length record comes out May 31 (you'll be able to preview it in our First Listen series starting May 23).

We asked singer Jim James about the new record. He wrote back:

There is a certain feeling you get in your mouth when you drink water or milk; it's like your mouth knows that they belong there. They mesh right in. Now, I'm no scientist, but I feel the molecules in milk and water are more circular or soft, rolling, wave-like — more akin to the cells already existing in your body, far different from the triangular pointed saw-wave feeling you get when you drink a fizzy water or a beer or something bubbly that clashes with the body. A feeling that's not necessarily bad — sometimes that clash is fun. That's why we love those things, but we need the water and the milk to live. As we worked on Evil Urges, our last album, we strove to make the experience fizzy and jarring and disorienting, and hopefully in a way that was fun for the listener. But as life goes on and changes you, you change the music you make. As we were working on this new album, Circuital, I felt in my body and mind that its molecules were more easily absorbed in a natural and nourishing way. And hopefully, it will feel the same way to you as you listen.
There's Still Time.........

subinai

Quote from: sweatboard on Apr 12, 2011, 01:51 PM
FROM NPR......

(you'll be able to preview it in our First Listen series starting May 23).

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

wolof7

Quote from: TSarge on Apr 12, 2011, 12:55 PM
Quote from: e_wind on Apr 12, 2011, 12:41 PM

How do we know Holdin' On is 4:19? Has it been released?

Yo Tsarge you can preview the tack for 30 secs here along with a listing of the song length.

http://www.amazon.com/Holdin-on-to-Black-Metal/dp/B004UJRWXU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1302637700&sr=8-1

Nice find Sweatboard.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee