Timber Timbre (reducks)

Started by wolof7, Mar 05, 2011, 04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolof7

Seems as though the original thread did not make the transition

New album for these guys, Creep On Creepin On out on April 5th, 2011. Talk about a band falling under the radar, if any board members have yet to check this band out, do yourselves a favor and listen here: http://www.myspace.com/timbertimbre

Holy moly, the new single Black Water is really good (and creepy). features some horns (nice work)

here ya go:

http://www.arts-crafts.ca/timbertimbre/creeponcreepinon.php

dates:
February 15 - Mérignac, FR - Krakatoa
February 16 - Clermont-Ferrand, FR - Cooperative de Mai
February 17 - Orléans, FR - L'Astrolabe
February 18 - Rouen, FR - Le 106
February 20 - Saint-Malo, FR - Chapelle St Sauveur
February 21 - Paris, FR - La Maroquinerie
February 22 - Tourcoing, FR - Le Grand Mix
February 24 - Caen, FR - Le Cargo
February 25 - Mâcon, FR - Cave A Musique
February 26 - Annecy, FR - Brise-Glace
March 24 - Longueuil, QC - Théâtre de la Ville
March 25 - Sain-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QC - Cabaret-Théâtre
March 26 - Saint-Thérèse, QC - Théâtre Lionel-Groulx
April 2 - Peterborough, ON - Murray St. Baptist Church
April 7 - Hamilton, ON - Centenary United Church
April 8 - Toronto, ON - Trinity Church
April 9 - Ottawa, ON - First Baptist Church
April 11- Boston, MA - Brighton Music Hall
April 12 - Philadelphia, PA - World Cafe Live
April 13 - New York, NY - Joe's Pub
April 14 - Brooklyn, NY - Glasslands
April 16 - Montreal, QC - Corona Theatre
April 18 - Amsterdam, NL - Bitterzoet/Paradiso
April 19 - Hamburg, DE - Prinzenbar
April 20 - Berlin, DE - Postbahnhof
April 22 - Brussels, BE - AB
April 23 - Bourges, FR - Le Printemps du Bourges April 27 - London, UK - ICA
April 28 - Manchester, UK - Deaf Institute
April 30 - Kilkenny, IRE - Kilkenny Roots
May 1 - Kilkenny, IRE - Kilkenny Roots
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Jaimoe

Quote from: wolof7 on Mar 05, 2011, 04:18 PM
Seems as though the original thread did not make the transition

New album for these guys, Creep On Creepin On out on April 5th, 2011. Talk about a band falling under the radar, if any board members have yet to check this band out, do yourselves a favor and listen here: http://www.myspace.com/timbertimbre

Holy moly, the new single Black Water is really good (and creepy). features some horns (nice work)

here ya go:

http://www.arts-crafts.ca/timbertimbre/creeponcreepinon.php

dates:
February 15 - Mérignac, FR - Krakatoa
February 16 - Clermont-Ferrand, FR - Cooperative de Mai
February 17 - Orléans, FR - L'Astrolabe
February 18 - Rouen, FR - Le 106
February 20 - Saint-Malo, FR - Chapelle St Sauveur
February 21 - Paris, FR - La Maroquinerie
February 22 - Tourcoing, FR - Le Grand Mix
February 24 - Caen, FR - Le Cargo
February 25 - Mâcon, FR - Cave A Musique
February 26 - Annecy, FR - Brise-Glace
March 24 - Longueuil, QC - Théâtre de la Ville
March 25 - Sain-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QC - Cabaret-Théâtre
March 26 - Saint-Thérèse, QC - Théâtre Lionel-Groulx
April 2 - Peterborough, ON - Murray St. Baptist Church
April 7 - Hamilton, ON - Centenary United Church
April 8 - Toronto, ON - Trinity Church
April 9 - Ottawa, ON - First Baptist Church
April 11- Boston, MA - Brighton Music Hall
April 12 - Philadelphia, PA - World Cafe Live
April 13 - New York, NY - Joe's Pub
April 14 - Brooklyn, NY - Glasslands
April 16 - Montreal, QC - Corona Theatre
April 18 - Amsterdam, NL - Bitterzoet/Paradiso
April 19 - Hamburg, DE - Prinzenbar
April 20 - Berlin, DE - Postbahnhof
April 22 - Brussels, BE - AB
April 23 - Bourges, FR - Le Printemps du Bourges April 27 - London, UK - ICA
April 28 - Manchester, UK - Deaf Institute
April 30 - Kilkenny, IRE - Kilkenny Roots
May 1 - Kilkenny, IRE - Kilkenny Roots

I agree, this excellent band does indeed "all under the radar" I'm late to them and they are hail from Montreal and I believe have relocated to Toronto.

el_chode

I'm surrounded by assholes

wolof7

Quote from: el_chode on Mar 05, 2011, 05:43 PM
Here's the song that sold me

TIMBER TIMBRE - MAGIC ARROW

Yeah Chode that's my favorite as well  :thumbsup:

They are really great live, generally play with the lights dimmed very low, I still have no clue what the lead singer looks like and I was like 10 ft from the stage when I saw them (I kinda wanna keep it that way for some reason). Their shows give off the seance atmosphere which is pretty much in the music

They are playing Boston at the Brighton Music Hall for 8 bucks! Can't beat that.

el_chode

Quote from: wolof7 on Mar 05, 2011, 07:38 PM
Quote from: el_chode on Mar 05, 2011, 05:43 PM
Here's the song that sold me

TIMBER TIMBRE - MAGIC ARROW

Yeah Chode that's my favorite as well  :thumbsup:

They are really great live, generally play with the lights dimmed very low, I still have no clue what the lead singer looks like and I was like 10 ft from the stage when I saw them (I kinda wanna keep it that way for some reason). Their shows give off the seance atmosphere which is pretty much in the music

They are playing Boston at the Brighton Music Hall for 8 bucks! Can't beat that.

So the wife and I have a sunday morning ritual of catching up on Breaking Bad episodes. Today, in either the first or second ep of season 3, Magic Arrow is featured in the middle of the episode.
I'm surrounded by assholes

wolof7

Just stumbled across this as I was purusing the Daytrotter site. Pretty good set. And pretty accurate descriptions.

http://www.daytrotter.com/dt/timber-timbre-concert/20031014-37382178.html

With a bluesman's capacity for feeling the pits of despair and a soul singer's great gift of making his unparalleled sorrows sound refreshingly wonderful -- as if we should all be so lucky as to have had the same sundry circumstances on our heads - Kirk gives us these haunting episodes of a man shaking. They are kindred spirits with the scary moments when you can't wake up from your nightmares, when bad is being inflicted on you and everyone else is just playing the parts of inactive bystanders. You can't rise or slap yourself awake, a vain attempt at taking control.

Timber Timbre songs come to us as if they are delivered by a man who knows the dimensions of the devil's living room, knows what kind of brandy he keeps in the liquor chest and also knows the color of the walls in God's bathroom, knows what's in the medicine cabinet and he plays all of this knowledge against itself, understanding the delicacy of the similarities as the real scariness.

wolof7

Here's another new song "Woman" from Creep on Creepin On along with a creepy video taboot. Not as accessible as the other new one Black Water but enjoyable nonetheless in that swamp-blues-syd-barrett kind of way.

Timber Timbre - Woman

wolof7

wolof7

Here is what I'm most looking forward to this Spring. From Swampy Seance blues, to Jazz-Folk noir and now loungey croon pop (w/ sweet velvety sax). Timber Timbre hits me right where it counts.

Timber Timbre - Hot Dreams

oistheone

I fucking ADORE "Hot Dreams" -- what a creepily serene lead single. "I wanna dance with a black woman" -- what an opening line!

Just picked up some tickets for a show of theirs in May. Can't wait to hear this whole album. Perfect late night listening.

johnnYYac

They're new to me, but with a show here in Iowa City on May 7, I may just check them out.  Cool!
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

wolof7

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 22, 2014, 04:36 PM
They're new to me, but with a show here in Iowa City on May 7, I may just check them out.  Cool!

Johnny you totally should check them out. I love this band. If you check out my description 2  posts ago that's what you're in for. Definitely check out their S/T album it's my (and most fans) favorite.

johnnYYac

Quote from: wolof7 on Mar 22, 2014, 05:17 PM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 22, 2014, 04:36 PM

Johnny you totally should check them out. I love this band. If you check out my description 2  posts ago that's what you're in for. Definitely check out their S/T album it's my (and most fans) favorite.
I'll plan on it, but will have to work some good will, as I have another show the night before that starts just as my daughter's choir concert ends.  Gonna be tight!

oistheone

Can't stop listening to this new record, especially after seeing them for the first time the other night.

What a unique act. They can go from an early-Pink Floyd-esque-psychedelic-noise-groove-jam to a beautifully tender ballad in the span of one song. Taylor Kirk, the front man, actually had some pretty damn funny banter for a guy whose lyrics are sometimes frighteningly serious. At one point during the encore, he asked for every light in the venue to be shut off so he could sing in the dark. "Fuck, I shoulda done the whole show like this."

The band he assembled is out-of-this-world talented. Definitely recommend checking them out if you're down with an interesting night of music.

Also, considering the sombre tone of most of their tunes, their exit music after the house lights came up was fucking hilarious. Imagine sitting in a theater for an hour and a half listening to some intense, pretty serious tunes, and then the show's over and this is the first thing you hear:

Oh Yeah Yello

I laughed my ass off. Good to see that these guys have a sense of humor.

johnnYYac

Their show in IC was great and I snagged two LPs on site- Hot Dreams and Creep On Creepin' On.  I think I'll spin one right now...

ffghtrs

Can't believe i've never heard of them.  Love what i'm hearing, a trip to the record store is in need.
Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?