Let's Talk about Run Thru

Started by el_chode, Mar 07, 2011, 03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_chode

So Rolling Stone says it's one of the greatest guitar songs ever. Fine, whatever. The guitar hook in that is classic, awesome, powerful.

But to me, it's one of the least "guitary" songs they've made. It's all about the drums, bass, and clock arms. Agree? Or really agree?
I'm surrounded by assholes

e_wind

Really agree. I love Bo in Run Thru as much as Patrick. I love the guitar solo in Lay Low and Dondante and Evil Urges a lot off the top of my head.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Erik26

Really agree. I think the rhythm section carries the song more than the guitar.
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

megalicious

Quote from: el_chode on Mar 07, 2011, 03:52 PM
clock arms

will someone make a clock arms gif? i'll give you lifetime membership in my personal pantheon of badassery.
:-*
all facts begin as dreams dreamt by the wizard

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: megalicious on Mar 08, 2011, 04:28 PM
clock arms

will someone make a clock arms gif? i'll give you lifetime membership in my personal pantheon of badassery.

I did this one a while back, but it's kind of small... I'll redo it unless someone else makes one first :)

Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

capt. scotty

Agreed thats its strength is the rhythm section. There are a ton more great guitar songs: OBH (obv), Lay Low, War Begun, Mahgeetah, Dancefloors, What A Wonderful Man, etc
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

rincon

So Rolling Stone says it's one of the greatest guitar songs ever. Fine, whatever. The guitar hook in that is classic, awesome, powerful.

But to me, it's one of the least "guitary" songs they've made. It's all about the drums, bass, and clock arms. Agree? Or really agree?

It is not a typical guitar song but I can see why RS would rank it high. It is not a technical guitar song, but there is a ton of power and emotion in those 3 note riffs. It appears to me you may be referring to the middle part of the song. The vocal/guitar howls in the first and third part are like squeezing the last part of toothpaste out of the tube with vice grips. Jim does that a lot vocally, but here Carl matches him on guitar.

Erik26

Quote from: SaraBananaBear on Mar 08, 2011, 05:54 PM
Quote from: megalicious on Mar 08, 2011, 04:28 PM
clock arms

I did this one a while back, but it's kind of small... I'll redo it unless someone else makes one first :)

Thanks for the gif!!! If you make another one make sure to post it. I'm using this one my avatar on the Inforoo boards!
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need