Main Menu

Engineers

Started by MMJ_fanatic, Mar 08, 2011, 07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMJ_fanatic

I got into this band thanks to "Big Love" on HBO adopting the song "Home" for the theme of the show.  I love the editorial description on Amazon.com, it really captures their spirit:
"Lots of bands claim to be different, but few actually are. Engineers are definitely one of the few. They ardently believe in the restless, symphonic power of music and are driven by the same impulse that compelled Dennis Wilson to write "Pacific Ocean Blue" or Talk Talk to forge "Spirit of Eden". They occupy a smoked out space between Brian Eno and the Cocteau Twins through to Todd Rundgren, Spiritualized, or Air meets Beta Band. "

Any fans?  I just have once cd so far but plan to hear out the rest of their library soon.  EXCELLENT chill down music!
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

MarkW

I've had their first album since it came out about five years ago.  I've not explored anything since, but I do listen to them from time to time - as you say, it's good chill down music at the end of an evening.  I love the orchestral feel of their stuff.

They're actually from Wigan, which is about 10 miles down the road from where I live.  I might give some of their newer stuff a go.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

BH

I do listen to that Big Love intro every time.   That's rare.   Had no idea who it was.   Being an engineer, I'm intrigued.  :)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Crispy

I got Three Fact Fader a few months ago and I friggin love it. It is so good really loud (especially Clean Coloured  Wire, which includes a sample of some Harmonia stuff from the 70's) and I wish I could get it on vinyl but no dice. I have yet to get their other material but I am planning on it.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Penny Lane

Quote from: MarkW on Mar 09, 2011, 11:08 AM

They're actually from Wigan, which is about 10 miles down the road from where I live.  I might give some of their newer stuff a go.

the verve are also from Wigan---i need to look into this!
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

MarkW

Quote from: Penny Lane on Mar 09, 2011, 11:35 AM

If you've never been to Wigan, well, let's just say the choice is stark:

Either eat pies and listen to northern soul; or
Learn to play an instrument and get the f*ck out
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Penny Lane

Quote from: MarkW on Mar 09, 2011, 11:44 AM
Quote from: Penny Lane on Mar 09, 2011, 11:35 AM

If you've never been to Wigan, well, let's just say the choice is stark:

Either eat pies and listen to northern soul; or
Learn to play an instrument and get the f*ck out

thought that was all of northern england?
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill