My review of Circuital

Started by el_chode, Mar 14, 2011, 05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taterbug

Whatever you do...Don't google "Circuital Leak".  You will get a virus that will make your penis feel like it was dipped in battery acid ;)
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: el_chode on Mar 14, 2011, 05:14 PM
So I've listened to the album (mentally) and here are my thoughts: There's not enough reverb. The band has sold out. The songs are all boring. I rank this slightly above EU and very below Z. This is just made for college kids to smoke bongs to. It's really just an album for my mom to listen to at Kohls. They're just not into it anymore. If I were in the band, I could have and would have done it differently, and therefore better. There's not enough guitar on track 5. I don't under stand the songs. And why is every song about Obama? It makes me fall asleep during the middle 4 tracks because they're too slow. Where is this album's Off the Record?

I think I'll just stick to my Terminal 5 Vinyl Picture Disc Box set and remember the band that I used to love.

I think I'm going to leave the boards for a bit.

[Getting all this out of the way now]

totally agree.  I really can't believe how bad this album turned out.  "ooh let's do it in a church because we love god so much".  give me a break.  this whole super christian thing Jim is pulling really feels to me like an ego trip, I think he thinks he's jesus or god or something.  The lyrics were pretty horrible too.  Bo is WAY too loud in the mix and patrick really sounds like he's just phoning it in.  I expected more from these guys but I guess hard drugs have finally taken the priority over good art.  tis a shame.  talk about a peanut butter pudding surprise with turds on top.  2/10.

el_chode

OMG you guys Nicole Atkins is on the Secret Track, "Put Your Hands Up To Mine"
I'm surrounded by assholes

Randall

I enjoyed the song about Harry Potter the most.  It is magical.

Penny Lane

Quote from: el_chode on Apr 19, 2011, 09:40 PM
OMG you guys Nicole Atkins is on the Secret Track, "Put Your Hands Up To Mine" (because 2 of your hands equal one of mine)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

markcel

The thing I came away with was I just don't see these songs translating very well when played live.  That being said, that song Yim wrote for "Spiderman - Turn Off the Dark"  (but somehow rejected by Bono) does rock, can't see why that didn't make the musical.

One question, was it in bad taste to sample Ethel Merman so much?

BH

Quote from: markcel on Apr 20, 2011, 10:07 AM
The thing I came away with was I just don't see these songs translating very well when played live.  That being said, that song Yim wrote for "Spiderman - Turn Off the Dark"  (but somehow rejected by Bono) does rock, can't see why that didn't make the musical.

One question, was it in bad taste to sample Ethel Merman so much?

NO!  It's like cowbell.  You can never have too much Ethel Merman.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

love it.  It's also cool to hear M Ward on wonderful, his parts and vocals are really tasteful.  glad they have a couple cool guests on this, reminds me of Z sorta when they had Andrew Bird on and whatnot. subtle yet sweet.

el_chode

Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Apr 20, 2011, 06:12 PM

love it.  It's also cool to hear M Ward on wonderful, his parts and vocals are really tasteful.  glad they have a couple cool guests on this, reminds me of Z sorta when they had Andrew Bird on and whatnot. subtle yet sweet.

you're steppin up your game here i see. crossing into the rumor-mongering territory. sort of like that bible passage I can't place on track 8
I'm surrounded by assholes

jordan

Quote from: Taterbug on Mar 23, 2011, 08:01 PM
Whatever you do...Don't google "Circuital Leak".  You will get a virus that will make your penis feel like it was dipped in battery acid ;)

LMAO :D

This thread is great.

MarkW

I can't believe no-one has mentioned the bagpipe jam at the end of track 10.  I hate bagpipes, and this sequence almost ruined the whole album for me.  It was only the choral interlude at the end of the first side, sung by miniature YY clones, which rescued it from disaster.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

markcel

Quote from: MarkW on Apr 21, 2011, 09:09 AM
I can't believe no-one has mentioned the bagpipe jam at the end of track 10.  I hate bagpipes, and this sequence almost ruined the whole album for me.  It was only the choral interlude at the end of the first side, sung by miniature YY clones, which rescued it from disaster.

I liked the bagpipes, but maybe that's just me.

On a different note, has anyone tried playing it backwards yet?  If so, anyone actually going to follow the directions?  I mean I like the band and all, but that seems a little extreme.

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: markcel on Apr 21, 2011, 09:16 AM

On a different note, has anyone tried playing it backwards yet?  If so, anyone actually going to follow the directions?  I mean I like the band and all, but that seems a little extreme.

I left it in until the cheese turned golden-brown, but it still tasted undercooked. Maybe I'll try again.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Apr 21, 2011, 10:29 AM

I left it in until the cheese turned golden-brown, but it still tasted undercooked. Maybe I'll try again.

You have to start it on the stovetop, and finish in the oven. What temp did you have it on? Going by the spoken word riddle buried in the mix on victory dance, I think I've got it down.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: Ghosts_on_T5 on Apr 21, 2011, 02:04 PM

You have to start it on the stovetop, and finish in the oven. What temp did you have it on? Going by the spoken word riddle buried in the mix on victory dance, I think I've got it down.

I thought I had it at the precise level for metastability. Back to square one I gues...

markcel

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Apr 21, 2011, 02:50 PM

I thought I had it at the precise level for metastability. Back to square one I gues...

Are you guys using a meat thermometer to check internal temp as you go?

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: markcel on Apr 21, 2011, 03:58 PM
Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Apr 21, 2011, 02:50 PM

Are you guys using a meat thermometer to check internal temp as you go?

I've been using a Langmuir probe.

Dillsnufus

http://www.the-fly.co.uk/words/features/9857/my-morning-jacket-'circuital'-/-first-listen-

lucky well that's the tracklist:

victory dance
circuitial
The day is coming
Wonderful
outta my system
holidin on to black metal
first light
you wanna freak out
slow slow tune
movin away
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

capt. scotty

Quote from: Dillsnufus on Apr 21, 2011, 10:27 PM
http://www.the-fly.co.uk/words/features/9857/my-morning-jacket-'circuital'-/-first-listen-

lucky well that's the tracklist
victory dance
circuitial
The day is coming
Wonderful
outta my system
holidin on to black metal
first light
you wanna freak out
slow slow tune
movin away

"lucky well that's that tracklist" might be the best opener song name ever...cant wait
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

mahg33ta

thanks for the link.   tons of good info in there.    feels strange to be reading about such unfamiliar song titles.