Okonokos Steam Engine: A Big Ol' Slice of Heaven

Started by mylifeisought, Aug 30, 2007, 03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

I think "steam engine" is a sort of metaphore for a beating heart, "The fact that my hearts beating is all the proof you need"
There's Still Time.........

ms. yvon

...The scream from the girl at the very beginning just sets it up that you are gonna' hear something really special.  
;D  it's true!

this version gives me chills something fierce.  i'm sure some of that has to do with how clear and beautiful it sounds.  when i play it i am stopped in my tracks.  DAMN! BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL STUFF!
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

Willard1979

I'll gladly climb onto the wagon with u folks on this!!  A little late, sure, but better late than never!  After hearing the Rolling Stone Original, I immediately went to the Okonokos version, and HOLY JUMPING JESUS!!!  I'm in another world!  Music just doesn't get any better or any more powerful than this!  Every single bit of it is pure bliss!  Everything I've said here already, just doesn't do it any justice...I'm Not Worthy!  8-) 8-) 8-) :P :P :P

jbanda

Among all of the beautiful things about this version of steam engine, the way the dissonant background chords ring out is just so tasty, which you just can't get on the studio version.

TheBigChicken

I'm back in forth between Steam Engine and Phone Went West :)
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

drewsdad27us

THE ONLY PERFECT VERSION is one I am sharing, feeling, hearing LIVE, ANYWHERE with a hall full of MMJ lovers like myself.
or when my 3 year old little girl sings it.

See you at RCMH

oistheone

Time to bring this back from the dead.

Steam Engine on Okonokos fucking kills. I'd venture to say it might be the greatest thing humans have ever documented since their existence on this planet.

With all this talk about the new album and a bunch of tour dates, I was hankerin' for some Jacket. So I tossed on the DVD last night, and as usual, it did not disappoint. I've never had so many "OH MAN!" moments during one song. You know those rare moments where you smile uncontrollably and say "OHHH MANN!" to yourself because you are overcome with awesomeness? That happened about seven times during this song last night.

Love the way this is shot too -- great angles, and the one steady zoom into Jim's mouth as he pours his soul into the final climactic vocal scream is mind-blowing stuff. But to me, this song is all about the bottom end. Tom does bass runs in this song that are unlike anything I've ever heard.

What a tune.

e_wind

the second SOOOOOOOOOO, IIIIIIIII DO BELIIIEEEEEEVVEEEE.... is the best 10 seconds of a song recording to date. Thats not an opinion, its science.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

johnnYYac

Quote from: drewsdad27us on Jan 26, 2008, 12:08 PM
THE ONLY PERFECT VERSION is one I am sharing, feeling, hearing LIVE, ANYWHERE with a hall full of MMJ lovers like myself.
or when my 3 year old little girl sings it.

See you at RCMH
Thanks, oistheone, for reviving this thread.  I was particularly struck, however, by the post above yours, from January 26, 2008 (quoted above).  My little girl, 2 years old, blew me away quite some months back, when she started singing from her carseat on the way home from daycare, "so, I do beeve, nutin to be physicoo, lees not me!"  I damn near ran off the road!  She now DEMANDS Steam Engine and Bermuda Highway every day on the way home. 

Also, the Okonokos Steam Engine is perhaps the version I play for her most often, an exceptional performance and an amazing song. 

Of course, you may not have heard my instrumental cover of Steam Engine with the Omnichord.  It might change your mind.  ;)

http://site.johnnyyac.com/Portfolio.php
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

ericm

Quote from: blenderbaby on Sep 27, 2007, 11:03 PM
QuoteI know, I have played it like three times this week VERY loud at work when I first get there
3 times a week!!!!!, are you kidding me!!, i play it 3 times on the (long) train jorney to work alone...  Seriously, the arrangement  of steam engine is unique, to have that little melodic solo straight after the first few lines sets it all up, the rest of the song keeps you on edge....  I listen to this wonderful song as many times as i call my mom a fuss pot, but please, please, somebody (even if it's the mighty Jim himself!) tell me why it is called "Steam engine"???, and if it is just that i can not see the wood for the trees, please somebody enlighten me... love this forum, even though there are not enough hours in the day to visit it as much as i would like. :P

I always thought that maybe it's called Steam Engine because when it was written and recorded, it kind of just took off, ultra powerful,with no stopping in sight. When they were done, it was like " man, that had some incredible energy, like a freaking Steam Engine".

"Where's Jim going?"

kotchishm

I've loved this version too since i got the Okonokos dvd.  just recently bought the vinyl boxset last week so perfect timing for this thread to reappear.  also just today won an Ebay auction for Acoustic Chorale (still one left for buy it now $49.99) so in total ive dropped $80 in a week on Okonokos related releases,  i also need help
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

johnnYYac

When pressed for time but in a need of an Okonokos fix, I've got a one-disc CD "sampler" with 9 tracks that does the trick nicely (on eBay for a few bucks; I actually own two copies of it). 

With the DVD, I generally start with Lay Low if I can't sit through the whole thing.  I used to start at Dondante, but had to include Lay Low recently.  When my daughter demands Steam Engine, this is the version she gets.

Okonokos DVD set list (the sweet spot)

1."The Party"
2."Wordless Chorus"
3."It Beats 4 U"
4."Gideon"
5."One Big Holiday"
6."I Will Sing You Songs"
7."Lowdown"
8."The Way that He Sings"
9."What a Wonderful Man"
10."Off the Record"
11."Golden"
12."Lay Low"
13."Dondante"
14."Run Thru"
15."Xmas Curtain"
16."O Is the One that Is Real"
17."Steam Engine"

18."Anytime"
19."Mahgeetah"
20."The Attack"

kotchishm, I had my eye on Acoustic Chorale on eBay, going for around $21 this weekend.  I let it go, as I already own two copies.  I love AC, as evident from this thread: http://www.mymorningjacket.com/forum/index.php?topic=5019.0

I wonder what the going opinion is on sharing Acoustic Chorale.  It was made available to some who bought the Okonokos DVD back in '05.  It was never sold separately.  What would be the legal status of this?  I have software that lets me rip and copy DVDs, menus and all, at a perfect level of quality.  I'd love to share it with those less fortunate in scoring a real copy, but don't want to cross a line.  Thoughts?  CC?

kotchishm

Quote from: johnnYYac on Apr 11, 2011, 03:02 PM
When pressed for time but in a need of an Okonokos fix, I've got a one-disc CD "sampler" with 9 tracks that does the trick nicely (on eBay for a few bucks; I actually own two copies of it). 

With the DVD, I generally start with Lay Low if I can't sit through the whole thing.  I used to start at Dondante, but had to include Lay Low recently.  When my daughter demands Steam Engine, this is the version she gets.

1."The Party"
2."Wordless Chorus"
3."It Beats 4 U"
4."Gideon"
5."One Big Holiday"
7."Lowdown"
9."What a Wonderful Man"
10."Off the Record"
11."Golden"
12."Lay Low"
13."Dondante"
14."Run Thru"
15."Xmas Curtain"
17."Steam Engine"

18."Anytime"
19."Mahgeetah"
20."The Attack"

kotchishm, I had my eye on Acoustic Chorale on eBay, going for around $21 this weekend.  I let it go, as I already own two copies.  I love AC, as evident from this thread: http://www.mymorningjacket.com/forum/index.php?topic=5019.0

I wonder what the going opinion is on sharing Acoustic Chorale.  It was made available to some who bought the Okonokos DVD back in '05.  It was never sold separately.  What would be the legal status of this?  I have software that lets me rip and copy DVDs, menus and all, at a perfect level of quality.  I'd love to share it with those less fortunate in scoring a real copy, but don't want to cross a line.  Thoughts?  CC?

I was wondering the same thing being that it's really rare, i know the steam engine blog http://thesteamengine.blogspot.com/ had both the dvd and audio rips available for download a while back but they have since expired on the upload sites.

being that its so rare and wasn't actually sold seperately i cant see any immediate threat but i do feel like its something that needs to be shared
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

johnnYYac

Quote from: kotchishm on Apr 11, 2011, 03:57 PM

1."The Party"
2."Wordless Chorus"
3."It Beats 4 U"
4."Gideon"
5."One Big Holiday"
7."Lowdown"
9."What a Wonderful Man"
10."Off the Record"
11."Golden"
12."Lay Low"
13."Dondante"
14."Run Thru"
15."Xmas Curtain"
17."Steam Engine"

18."Anytime"
19."Mahgeetah"
20."The Attack"

I was wondering the same thing being that it's really rare, i know the steam engine blog http://thesteamengine.blogspot.com/ had both the dvd and audio rips available for download a while back but they have since expired on the upload sites.

being that its so rare and wasn't actually sold seperately i cant see any immediate threat but i do feel like its something that needs to be shared
Yeah, I could post a pristine .iso file that anyone could burn on a standard DVD-R.  I'm talking just Acoustic Chorale, not Okonokos (available at a fine record imporium near you). 

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

1."The Party"
2."Wordless Chorus"
3."It Beats 4 U"
4."Gideon"
5."One Big Holiday"
7."Lowdown"
9."What a Wonderful Man"
10."Off the Record"
11."Golden"
12."Lay Low"
13."Dondante"
14."Run Thru"
15."Xmas Curtain"
17."Steam Engine"

18."Anytime"
19."Mahgeetah"
20."The Attack"

actually yac the sweet Spots, as in multiple spots of sweet are as follows:

1."The Party"
2."Wordless Chorus"
3."It Beats 4 U"
4."Gideon"
5."One Big Holiday"
7."Lowdown"
9."What a Wonderful Man"
10."Off the Record"

11."Golden"  (take quick leak, get beer, twist one up)
12."Lay Low"
13."Dondante"
14."Run Thru"
15."Xmas Curtain"
17."Steam Engine"
18."Anytime"
19."Mahgeetah"

20."The Attack"