Favorite records of 2011 so far....

Started by sweatboard, Mar 26, 2011, 11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaqueta sucia

Quote from: Ruckus on Aug 25, 2011, 01:49 PM
A little harsh no Chaqueta?

Not so much.........just an opinion.  Most of the artists mentioned are compared or discussed in the same circles.  I feel of those I mentioned he is the weakest link.  He is still great and I love their albums, but the truth when I listen to all with regularity.  I feel when the majority hear American Goldwing by Blitzen Trapper they will love Eric Earley even more as a lyricist than they already did.  He has a few masterpieces on this album in particular the tune Love the Way You Walk Away.  Imo Blitzen is everything Wilco forgot to keep doing many albums back and I am a huge fan of wilco over the years.  However just an observation.

Dingo

These are all great choices.  Never heard of Frank Turner.  I will definitely check that out.

I just heard the new Girls - Father, Son and Holy Ghost.  I am obsessed with "Album" and "Broken Dreams Club" and I am really digging this new one too.  I can tell already I will be listening to this new one NON-STOP.

I would also recommend checking out the new The War On Drugs - Slave Ambient.

capt. scotty

Quote from: Penny Lane on Aug 25, 2011, 02:07 PM
Matt Vasquez's hair is too Flock of Seagulls for me.

(Now, what were we talking about?)

Whenever I saw them, damn, I guess like 6 months ago now, his hair was grown out to like his shoulders...Didnt seem 80's ish

I think not having to go back to school until May influenced me in trying to grow the mane out, but who knows, maybe it was Matt V
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

Quote from: mahg33ta on Aug 25, 2011, 01:27 PM
Quote from: chaqueta sucia on Aug 25, 2011, 01:00 PM
Quote from: EasyRyder on Aug 25, 2011, 12:12 PM
Quote from: mjk73 on Aug 25, 2011, 10:47 AM
Quote from: Penny Lane on Aug 24, 2011, 09:50 PM
4. Dawes
I've been listening to this a lot and it is almost surpassed Frank Turner for #1 for me. Such a great album.

This is my number one. I can't believe I haven't heard these guys until this year...does any "modern songwriter" write better lyrics?

I can think of a few.  Although Gouldsmith is great........Matt Vazquez of Delta Spirit imo is better as is Eric Earley of Blitzen Trapper to name two.  Also lyricists such as Scott and Seth Avett, Ian Felice, Ben Knox Miller(the low anthem) are better imo of those that are similar.  I love Nothing Is Wrong and having James Taylor and Benmont Tench help doesn't hurt, I can't get past the second verse in A Little Bit of Everything.  It takes a perfect start to a great song and sinks it with the buffet line lyrics.  Later it redeems itself some but when I play that album I feel like that song was supposed to be an epic ending and I find myself let down.  Just my thoughts.

I heard that song for the first time at Mountain Jam, and was wondering if it was supposed to be funny or silly.... didn't catch every lyric live but I was guessing it was slapstick.... but now own the album and think it's serious and as you said supposed to be epic.
A little harsh no Chaqueta?  I agree about the lyrics but then again, that wouldn't be the first time Goldsmith dropped cringe worthy lyrics.  I'll actually take the buffet line over the prior verse,

It's a little bit of everything
It's the mountains it's the fog
It's the news at 6 o'clock
It's the death of my first dog
It's the angel up above me
It's the song they don't sing
It's a little bit of everything

Thats pretty cheez whiz.

I dont have the Dawes album, but since so many seem to dig it I guess Ill have to check it out. Im not familiar enough with Dawes or Goldsmith, but Id more than likely agree with Chaqueta that Vasquez, Earley, and Ian Felice are better songwriters/lyricists

As a big Delta Spirit and Deer Tick fan, also somewhat ashamed to say I still havent gotten around to Middle Brother yet.

War Elephant is quickly approaching BOFD. Its had about 5 spins this week
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

Quote from: chaqueta sucia on Aug 25, 2011, 11:49 AM
5) Nine Types of Light-TV on the Radio

I revisited this a couple weeks ago, and for the most part, just cant get into it. Really like the first 2 songs and the single Will Do, but not much outside of that. Its heads and shoulders below Cookie Mountain and Dear Science for me.

Ruckus

Quote from: chaqueta sucia on Aug 25, 2011, 03:39 PM
A little harsh no Chaqueta?

Not so much.........just an opinion.  Most of the artists mentioned are compared or discussed in the same circles.  I feel of those I mentioned he is the weakest link.  He is still great and I love their albums, but the truth when I listen to all with regularity.  I feel when the majority hear American Goldwing by Blitzen Trapper they will love Eric Earley even more as a lyricist than they already did.  He has a few masterpieces on this album in particular the tune Love the Way You Walk Away.  Imo Blitzen is everything Wilco forgot to keep doing many albums back and I am a huge fan of wilco over the years.  However just an observation.
I totally agree with your asessment of Goldsmith.  I guess I meant letting a couple of uncomfortable verses affect your take on the entire album.  I for one am a McCauley whore and am a big fan of DS, FB, BT and LA.  I feel ya on Dawes...a notch or two below in my eyes
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

wolof7

Favorites thus far

The Sheepdogs - Learn & Burn
TLA - Smart Flesh
Middle Brother
MMJ - Circuital
Bon Iver
Portugal.the Man - In the Mountain, In the Cloud
Manchester Orchestra - Simple Math

Notables: Dawes - Nothing is Wrong, Futurebirds - Via Flamina (EP), Joe Fletcher & the Wrong Reasons - White Lighter, Okkervil River - I am very far, White Denim - D, Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues

Need to get that Gary Clark Jr., EP

Fall Albums I'm most looking forward to:
1) Ryan Adams - Ashes & Fire
2) Blitzen Trapper - American Goldwing
3) Deer Tick - Divine Providence
4) Brown Bird - Salt for Salt
5) Wilco - The Whole Love
6) Tom Waits - Bad As Me
7) The Black Keys - ?
? Alberta Cross / Neko Case / M. Ward new album releases.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

capt. scotty

Quote from: wolof7 on Aug 25, 2011, 10:46 PM
Favorites thus far

The Sheepdogs - Learn & Burn

If there are any 'whether L&B is a '10 or '11 release' forum scuffles, we got each others' backs  8)

Also, if you missed what I said in a post in the Sheeps thread, their album Big Stand is on their site for free download...its almost as good as L&B

e_wind

need to revive this thread because I get a lot of good suggestions for this:

1. Middle Brother
2. MMJ
3. (probably) Wilco
4. Iron & Wine
5. Bright Eyes - I haven't seen anyone mention this, but I think this is the revitalization of connor. It's the only BE record that I can enjoy anymore, and its damn good.

looking forward to listening to Ryan Adams and TBK and Deer Tick
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

ophidiophobia

Is there a release date yet for the new Black Keys album?

e_wind

I haven't heard anything other than that its happening, but I don't follow the keys religiously or anything so I may be giving wrong info

MarkW

Fucked Up.  David Comes to Life.  It's a hell of a thing.  Same is true of Frank Turner.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

mjk73

Quote from: MarkW on Sep 14, 2011, 07:45 PM
Frank Turner.
Still my album of the year.

War On Drugs new one is quite stunning.

YimBlaylock

Favorites thus far, in no particular order:
-My Morning Jacket, Circuital
-TV on the Radio, Nine Types of Light
-Fleet Foxes, Helplessness Blues
-Raphael Saadiq, Stone Rollin'
-Okkervil River, I Am Very Far
-Ben Sollee, Inclusions

Excited for the upcoming albums from Wilco and Coldplay.
It's all happening.

sweatboard

Updated List

1. Iron & Wine
2. My Morning Jacket
3. Wilco
4. Bon Iver
5. AA Bondy
There's Still Time.........

BH

Just got on board with the AA Bondy.   Awesome.   Reminds me a little of David Gilmour at times.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

ManNamedTruth

The Whole Love is not only better than the last two, but might be better than A Ghost Is Born.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

sweatboard

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Oct 05, 2011, 11:03 PM
The Whole Love is not only better than the last two, but might be better than A Ghost Is Born.

Truth!!!

Art of Almost is now the best song in their magazine. 
There's Still Time.........

capt. scotty

Quote from: sweatboard on Oct 06, 2011, 12:29 AM

Truth!!!

Im not the biggest Wilco fan, but Ive heard a lot of good things about this album. Gonna have to give it a spin...Is it streaming anywhere still?

e_wind

Quote from: capt. scotty on Oct 06, 2011, 10:58 AM
Quote from: sweatboard on Oct 06, 2011, 12:29 AM

Truth!!!

Im not the biggest Wilco fan, but Ive heard a lot of good things about this album. Gonna have to give it a spin...Is it streaming anywhere still?

I'm not a Wilco fan either, but the Art of Almost blew me out of the water and now I listen to them often. It was my gateway drug

Right now:
1. Middle Bro - S/T
2. The Head and The Heart - S/T (2011 subpop official release)
3. Wilco - The Whole Love
4. MMJ - Circuital

Looking forward to: Ryan Adams and Deer Tick.