Favorite records of 2011 so far....

Started by sweatboard, Mar 26, 2011, 11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YouAre_GivenToFly

Really hard to choose between Middle Brother, MMJ, and Dawes.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

mjk73

mlbrady89

Fleet Foxes- helplessness blues
Panda Bear- tomboy
Radiohead - king of limbs
TV on the radio- nine types of light
The Antlers- Burst Apart
bon iver- bon iver
wild beast- smother
gang gang dance - eye contact
lykke li- wounded rhymes

kinda excited nobody already listed Panda Bear's Tomboy so that i could tell you how awesome it is
sometimes you'll see a strange spot in the sky, A human being that was given to fly.

Jackets N Pones

Quote from: slimsloslider on Apr 12, 2011, 10:38 AM

tennis - cape dory - catchy as hell

Thanks for the Tennis rec slider. This is an ideal summer album!
Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

BH

Black Joe Lewis on Letterman tonight
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Ruckus

Still having trouble finding an album that has knocked my socks off but the top 4 are all great.  The Felice Brothers' have so many highs on that album that make me ignore the lows.  I think the Black Lips will move up after more listens.  So many albums I haven't checked out yet and I haven't listened to the new Rival Sons yet.  Dawes is so ordinary yet I enjoy listening to it.  A sign of me getting old I believe.  That Shabazz Palaces is pretty nuts.  Kinda reminds me of Cannibal Ox meets dubstep.  Good to see Butterfly back up and kickin' ass.

1.  White Denim - D
2.  Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears - Scandalous
3.  Pharoahe Monch - W.A.R. (We Are Renegades)
4.  Booker T. Jones - Road From Memphis
5.  Felice Brothers - Celebration, Florida
6.  Middle Brother - S/T
7.  Scale the Summit - The Collective
8.  Black Lips - Arabia Mountain
9.  Dawes - Nothing is Wrong
10. Shabazz Palaces - Black Up
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: Ruckus on Jul 06, 2011, 11:11 PM
Still having trouble finding an album that has knocked my socks off but the top 4 are all great.  The Felice Brothers' have so many highs on that album that make me ignore the lows.  I think the Black Lips will move up after more listens.  So many albums I haven't checked out yet and I haven't listened to the new Rival Sons yet.  Dawes is so ordinary yet I enjoy listening to it.  A sign of me getting old I believe.  That Shabazz Palaces is pretty nuts.  Kinda reminds me of Cannibal Ox meets dubstep.  Good to see Butterfly back up and kickin' ass.

1.  White Denim - D
6.  Middle Brother - S/T

I agree completely about Dawes. And about an album that has knocked me off of my feet this year. I think High Violet and Pope Killdragon may be my favorites this year as well as last.  ;D. Anywho, id say my top 3 this year in no perticular order (yet) are...

Bon Iver- Bon Iver, Bon Iver (still not sure if its called this or just Bon Iver, ha)
Fucked Up-David comes to life (not biased, I swear)
Circuital
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Ruckus

Quote from: Ghosts_on_TV on Jul 06, 2011, 11:26 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on Jul 06, 2011, 11:11 PM

1.  White Denim - D
6.  Middle Brother - S/T

I agree completely about Dawes. And about an album that has knocked me off of my feet this year. I think High Violet and Pope Killdragon may be my favorites this year as well as last.  ;D. Anywho, id say my top 3 this year in no perticular order (yet) are...

Bon Iver- Bon Iver, Bon Iver (still not sure if its called this or just Bon Iver, ha)
Fucked Up-David comes to life (not biased, I swear)
Circuital
I really want to hear that Fucked Up!  Sounds great.  I haven't heard any of the Bon Iver except for the one I heard on the radio today.  It sounded OK.  My favorite Vernon song is still his cover of Bruised Orange (Chain of Sorrow).  Also Ghosts, if you have some time, check out the Great Horned Owl.  He's been putting out a free EP on his website every month this year and kind of reminds me of Strand of Oaks

Ruckus

Ironically, I go to find a link for his d/l and this is on his facebook wall. ;D

This month's EP sounds great so far. It reminds me of Strand of Oaks and Iron & Wine's early work in the studio. I am very excited to share this with all of you.

His d/loadable EPs are along the right column
http://greathornedowl.bandcamp.com/

Ghosts_on_TV

Ha! Nice, ill check it out. Thanks brotha!

mjk73

Yes Ruckus, you need to hear David Comes To Life. It's fucking glorious.

Ghosts_on_TV

Upon further inspection, the Bon Iver album is indeed knocking my socks off. Literally, I had socks on, but they are being knocked off as we speak.

e_wind

Wouldve never guessed there were Fucked Up fans here. I used to be waaaayyy into hardcore an punk
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

ophidiophobia

1. Dawes- Nothing is Wrong
2. Amos Lee- Mission Bell
3. Bon Iver- Bon Iver
4. My Morning Jacket- Circuital
5. Drive By Truckers- Go Go Boots

I really think the first two albums are great. I hadn't listened to any of the Dawes stuff before Middle Brother, but I bought the new album when it came out and was blown away. The Amos Lee album has been played all year in my Jeep.

Eweezy

1. My Morning Jacket - Circuital
2. Arctic Monkeys - Suck it and See(love this album)
3. Taking Back Sunday - Taking Back Sunday
4. Lady GaGa - Born This Way (yeah I like it..wanna fight about it..family guy)
5. Panic At the Disco! - Vices & Virtues
Yikes!

capt. scotty

Quote from: Eweezy on Jul 08, 2011, 09:09 PM

holy fuck..well suck me sideways
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

e_wind

well honestly i'd rather listen to gaga than Panic at the Disco... I loved TBS when TAYF and WYWTB were the only records they had... and I was younger, can't imagine the new album being good with or without nolan. Especially because the last record bombed. but hey, to each their own
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Eweezy

Quote from: e_wind on Jul 09, 2011, 12:46 PM

well honestly i'd rather listen to gaga than Panic at the Disco... I loved TBS when TAYF and WYWTB were the only records they had... and I was younger, can't imagine the new album being good with or without nolan. Especially because the last record bombed. but hey, to each their own

Just saw Taking Back Sunday last night in Ft. Lauderdale and they were great.  Nolan does make the difference cause when I saw them a couple of years ago they were not as good.  They played almost every song from Tell All Your Friends and yes the new album is good, it may not change your life but it is still a good listen.  I respect that they did not try to make Tell All Your Friends 2.0
Yikes!

he.who.forgets

For any fans of Dispatch or State Radio, Chad Stokes new solo album "Simmerkane" is pretty solid

sittingcow

<3 Fucked Up

ooh, didn't know White Denim had an album out this year, gotta check that out