Huffington Post best post Nirvana bands

Started by rincon, Mar 27, 2011, 02:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rincon

What a joke. So the best bands post 1994 include
Arcade Fire, Coldplay, Dave Matthews Band, Death Cab For Cutie, Green Day, Linkin Park, Muse ,Pearl Jam, Radiohead ,White Stripes, Band of Horses, Bright Eyes, Fleet Foxes, Kings of Leon, Mumford & Sons

This includes the melodically challenged DMB, 2 MMJ clones, we all know who they are, and some true crap. They even include clones of bands listed, like Coldplay and Muse don't wish they were Radiohead. Here is the article. Mainstream media is retarded. I hope I can post that word.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeff-pollack/10-bands-shaping-the-post_b_838771.html

buymycar

Quote from: rincon on Mar 27, 2011, 02:56 AM
Arcade Fire, Coldplay, Dave Matthews Band, Death Cab For Cutie, Green Day, Linkin Park, Muse ,Pearl Jam, Radiohead ,White Stripes, Band of Horses, Bright Eyes, Fleet Foxes, Kings of Leon, Mumford & Sons

This includes the melodically challenged DMB, 2 MMJ clones, we all know who they are, and some true crap. They even include clones of bands listed, like Coldplay and Muse don't wish they were Radiohead. Here is the article. Mainstream media is retarded. I hope I can post that word.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeff-pollack/10-bands-shaping-the-post_b_838771.html

So why do you pay attention to it?

johnnYYac

Half the fun of these lists is reading the pages and pages of comments that follow.  Trying to come up with a list of 10 of anything that a majority will agree with is never the point, or the author is fooling him/herself.  The point is to throw the bait and see what bites.

How about "The Top Ten Musicians of the <your name here> Era"

The Top Ten Musicians of the johnnYYac Era

My Morning Jacket
Grateful Dead
Pink Floyd
Allman Bros.
Neil Young
Bob Dylan
Sugar
White Stripes
Beck
Adam and the Ants
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Tracy 2112

The Top Ten Artists in My "B" collection:

Beatles, The
Band, The
Beck, Jeff
Beck
Bird, Andrew
Black Sabbath
Built to Spill
Big Star
B-52's
Black Francis (Black, Frank)
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Crispy

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Mar 27, 2011, 12:05 PM
The Top Ten Artists in My "B" collection:

Beatles, The
Band, The
Beck, Jeff
Beck
Bird, Andrew
Black Sabbath
Built to Spill
Big Star
B-52's
Black Francis (Black, Frank)

What? Where are the Buzzcocks? Boston? Bottle Rockets? Björk? Blue Öyster Cult? Hmmphh.

In other news, I think if I had to pick one letter besides "M" from my collection, it would be "B."
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

rincon

Quote from: buymycar on Mar 27, 2011, 04:42 AM

Mainstream media permeates society. Even if I give it little credibility, I can't just ignore it. This is a forum for music, and I thought it was a relevant subject, primarily for who is missing from the list. What I can't understand is responses like yours that offer nothing to a thread other than to try and make a poster look stupid.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Crispy on Mar 27, 2011, 12:39 PM
In other news, I think if I had to pick one letter besides "M" from my collection, it would be "B."

I hear ya:

Minogue, Kelly
Marx, Richard
Men Without Hats
Mase
Montgomery Gentry
Money, Eddie
Mike and the Mechanics
Mayer, John
Matchbox 20
Man-hoe Manilow (Manilow, Barry)

FiddleCastro

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Mar 27, 2011, 01:04 PM
Quote from: Crispy on Mar 27, 2011, 12:39 PM

Money, Eddie

Ugh, hometown hero, Eddie Mahoney  :(
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

rincon

If you want to go by letters, T takes the cake. Start with The Who, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Velvet Underground, etc. At least that is how they are listed on My Music on my computer. Plus, Toad the Wet Sprocket!

Crispy

Quote from: rincon on Mar 27, 2011, 05:57 PM
If you want to go by letters, T takes the cake. Start with The Who, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Velvet Underground, etc. At least that is how they are listed on My Music on my computer. Plus, Toad the Wet Sprocket!

Ha! Take that, alphabetizer nazis! Actually, I'm annoyed that Windows Media Player has to alphabetize on the first name -- so "T" on my box also includes Tim Buckley, Thelonius Monk, Tammy Wynette, Tom Petty, Tom Verlaine, Tom Waits, Thomas Dolby, T-Bone Walker, and Tracey Thorn (oh, wait). I suppose I could use method with the comma endorsed by Tracy...
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

buymycar

Quote from: rincon on Mar 27, 2011, 12:41 PM

Mainstream media permeates society. Even if I give it little credibility, I can't just ignore it. This is a forum for music, and I thought it was a relevant subject, primarily for who is missing from the list. What I can't understand is responses like yours that offer nothing to a thread other than to try and make a poster look stupid.

I wasn't trying to make you look stupid.  I apologize if you took it that way.  I was trying to make you think.  Does Huffington Post really qualify as mainstream media?  Some guy writes a column, which is his opinion, and you take it as gospel and get all offended?

You didn't even mention in your first post who you thought was missing from the list.

rincon

Quote from: buymycar on Mar 28, 2011, 02:54 AM
Quote from: rincon on Mar 27, 2011, 12:41 PM

I wasn't trying to make you look stupid.  I apologize if you took it that way.  I was trying to make you think.  Does Huffington Post really qualify as mainstream media?  Some guy writes a column, which is his opinion, and you take it as gospel and get all offended?

You didn't even mention in your first post who you thought was missing from the list.
What did I take as Gospel? How do you interpret I was offended? Huffington post is mainstream media. More people get news from the internet than paper or TV, and not only are they one of the biggest sources, they are now owned by AOL. Yes that is mainstream.
       Besides that, this is a music forum. This article was about influential bands in the MMJ era. Most of the suggested bands were stupid picks in my opinion, and I just happened to think posters here might get a kick out of it. Why should I have to list who I thought was missing? Just the mention of Fleet Foxes and Band of Horses without mentioning MMJ, is like saying Oasis and Badfinger are superior to the Beatles. And DMB never has a melody, just a pretentious beat with irritating vocals.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: rincon on Mar 28, 2011, 08:57 AM
Why should I have to list who I thought was missing? Just the mention of Fleet Foxes and Band of Horses without mentioning MMJ, is like saying Oasis and Badfinger are superior to the Beatles.

Not really.

Whereas MMJ influenced FF and BOH, The Beatles influenced everyone.

rincon

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Mar 28, 2011, 09:06 AM
Why should I have to list who I thought was missing? Just the mention of Fleet Foxes and Band of Horses without mentioning MMJ, is like saying Oasis and Badfinger are superior to the Beatles.

Not really.

I don't see how that invalidates my point. It kind of reinforces it, at least to me.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: rincon on Mar 28, 2011, 09:31 AM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Mar 28, 2011, 09:06 AM

Not really.

I don't see how that invalidates my point. It kind of reinforces it, at least to me.

Maybe saying Coldplay is superior to Radiohead or Kings of Leon are superior to The Strokes or Lady Gaga is superior to Madonna.

The Beatles infuenced multiple genres, whereas MMJ has not. It would be like comparing the overall contributions for food preparation between water (The Beatles) and garlic (MMJ); not everything has or needs garlic, but at some point you'll probably need water.

it's like this:

el_chode

I enjoyed this rant

And Tracy, I somewhat disagree. Garlic, like Bacon, makes everything better, even when it's not necessary. But on the flip side, you need to use it strategically to avoid numbing the senses.

Top 10 bands of the El Chode Era (bands that had their start post-1982):

• MMJ
  • Ween
  • Wilco
  • Pavement
  • Queens of the Stone Age
  • White Stripes
  • Sonic Youth
  • Dinosaur Jr
  • Built to Spill
  • Flaming Lips (they didn't do anything before 82, right?)
I'm surrounded by assholes

Tracy 2112

Quote from: el_chode on Mar 28, 2011, 11:48 AM
And Tracy, I somewhat disagree. Garlic, like Bacon, makes everything better, even when it's not necessary.

Without water, there is no garlic.

Without garlic, there is still water.

water > The Beatles > garlic < My Morning Jacket > Fleet Foxes = Band of Horses > Coldplay < Radiohead < The Beatles < water <

el_chode

In high school I kept a super soaker 100 in my truck loaded with a tank of garlic water to nail unsuspecting freshman and anyone who tailgated me.

Is that like MMJ covering the beatles, all in one defensive spray?
I'm surrounded by assholes

Tracy 2112

Quote from: el_chode on Mar 28, 2011, 12:29 PM
In high school I kept a super soaker 100 in my truck loaded with a tank of garlic water to nail unsuspecting freshman and anyone who tailgated me.

Is that like MMJ covering the beatles, all in one defensive spray?

No.

This would be more like MMJ covering The Beatles

Beatles Don't Let Me Down rare cover by Jim James oldies 60

Crispy

Slight threadjack: that cover of Don't Let Me Down is fucking brilliant. What's the story on that?