Open Letter to MMJ (Health Care Reform)

Started by Nikkogino, Aug 02, 2009, 09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikkogino

http://www.mymorningjacket.com/gogo/my-morning-jacket-supports-health-care-reform/

Dear Jim and company,

This just in....who cares what MMJ think about health care reform?  What I really care about is your kick ass music.  While you are at it, instead of touring or releasing any new music, why don't you tell us your thoughts on the Palestinian Conflict or maybe the situation in Darfur.  Seriously though, I could care less what a band thinks about a political issue.  If you guys are going to turn into Rage Against the Machine, let me know so I can waste my time elsewhere.  I like MMJ for their awesome albums.  I love you and your music Jim, but your fanbase can form their own decisions on healthcare in America.  

I'm not trying to be a jerk, and I definitely don't want to start a debate on healthcare, but come on!  Posting political opinions on your band website is lame.  

Instead, how about update us on what MMJ, the musical group, is doing in regard to your music (which is what we all come to this website for).  Thanks Jim!  

Yours truly,
Nikkogino

P.S.  -- I'm really struggling with what we should do in regards to dealing with North Korea's continued threats.  What should I think Jim?

P.P.S. -- You guys have yet to make a bad album (or non-excellent album for that matter).  I'm eagerly anticipating news on the next one.

capt. scotty

it is kind of weird, at least seeing MMJ do something like it, but it has nothing to do with politics outside of the government being the only body that has the power to change health care in the USA.

its really not all that much different then proceeds from YY's EP going to the animal sanctuary, ticket proceeds going to some foundation, etc.

i dont know, it doesnt really bother me whether I love health care how it is or feel the same way as the boyz.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

buymycar

Who cares about what Nikkogino Part 2 thinks about what MMJ thinks about health care reform?

aMillionDreams

This thread is lame.

This is My Morning Jacket's website. They can post what they want.  If you don't like it get your own website and well see who cares about what you have to say.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Angry Ewok

I gotta agree with Nikko on this one. I'm pretty sure every single person here already supports some sort of health care reform - sure would be nice to know what the band is up to, though.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

AMightyCaporal

QuoteThis thread is lame.

This is My Morning Jacket's website. They can post what they want.  If you don't like it get your own website and well see who cares about what you have to say.

I totally agree- I think they can post whatever the heck they feel like it.  Heaven forbid that a band supports an issue of some kind.  They are letting us know something about them.  You say you're not trying to be a jerk- your post drips with sarcasm and is, from the start, negative... you are either not trying hard enough or in actuality, you just are a jerk and can't do anything about it.

It's fine to disagree with the band on any decision they make about giving information- next time- try to do it in a more respectable manner.

Oh this is for you-

http://www.mymorningjacket.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1249232154
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

Love Dogg

You've got to learn to turn your head. I know a lot of people who think bands should stay out of politics.  But Jim is a disciple of goodness: before he is a musician.  And if he doesn't use his power to get the word to people who may need a nudge, then he is not doing his job-what HE thinks is his job.

They haven't taken a stance on too many issues...and this one is fair in my book.  But regardless of whether you agree with them or not, you've got just as much right to turn your head and not pay attention, as they do to take a position on something.  Jim thinks it is his civic duty to speak out on this...what are the commonwealth interests in your statement?

Like aMD said...consider your surroundings before firing.
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

Shepardspy

It's not like they are shoving the idea down people's throats.  They are just saying "Hey we support this, if you do too go here."

ALady

QuotePosting political opinions on your band website is lame.  

I have never understood this line of thought.  You don't give up your right to free speech when you pick up a guitar.  Furthermore, it's really insulting to assume that musicians aren't as well versed on a given topic as anyone else might be.  I have always thought that musicians are in an interesting position to speak on political issues; they travel a lot and see what living conditions are like in all different parts of the country (and the world); they meet a lot of different people from all walks of life, and they have a lot of time on the bus to read and educate themselves on different issues.  Not saying all musicians are like this, but some certainly are more knowledgeable than the average Joe on certain topics.

No one says you have to agree with the band's position, but I don't understand how it hurts anyone if they express their views on a topic, if only for the purpose of opening up debate.  Music is a powerful way to communicate about the human condition, and I kind of think it's a shame if musicians don't use the bully pulpit they're given to express something important.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

el_chode

They're not pushing poorly written policy down anyone's throats. They're encouraging people to get involved and say first "health care is rotten as it stands" and second, either "and your plan sucks! don't use it, it won't help!" or "and your plan is the answer we need, support it!"

Not everyone has a megaphone as loud as a band and there's a difference between campaigning for climate change and to end poverty while you have a 200 truck caravan moving a $40,000,000 stage around Europe, and using the megaphone that has been given to you to say "get involved".

More power to them.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Ghosts_on_TV

I just don't get why you care. If you don't agree with it, then fine. But really, who gives a shit? Don't look at it.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

corey

QuoteWhile you are at it, instead of touring or releasing any new music.....

You people that think they should release an album a year really bug the shit out of me. Don't you think they deserve a little downtime? Really.
If they put out a record, that means they have to tour to support it. THAT means time away from family and close friends. Have you ever played in a touring band? Do you know how hard it is to stay away from the people you love for that long? The road is not a comfortable place to be. Also, I'm sure the guys in the band love each other to death, but spending that much time on the road with each other must take it's toll on their friendship and ability to work with each other.

Do you want them to tour non-stop? That's fine... but don't be surprised when they break up within the next year or so. You can't spend that amount of time with each other and not get on each other's nerves at a certain point. The downtime that they take is probably absolutely necessary to keep the band going. Did you ever think of that?

el_chode

QuoteWhile you are at it, instead of touring or releasing any new music.....

You people that think they should release an album a year really bug the shit out of me. Don't you think they deserve a little downtime? Really.
If they put out a record, that means they have to tour to support it. THAT means time away from family and close friends. Have you ever played in a touring band? Do you know how hard it is to stay away from the people you love for that long? The road is not a comfortable place to be. Also, I'm sure the guys in the band love each other to death, but spending that much time on the road with each other must take it's toll on their friendship and ability to work with each other.

Do you want them to tour non-stop? That's fine... but don't be surprised when they break up within the next year or so. You can't spend that amount of time with each other and not get on each other's nerves at a certain point. The downtime that they take is probably absolutely necessary to keep the band going. Did you ever think of that?

A wise man once sang:

Just Hold On Loosely, but don't let go
If you cling too tight babe,
you're gonna lose control
Your baby needs someone to believe in
And a whole lot of space to breathe in

AMightyCaporal

we need a little bit of a laugh in this thread before we continue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uZt-bMuEMc&feature=related

...as you were
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

Angry Ewok

QuoteYou people that think they should release an album a year really bug the shit out of me.

We can HOPE, can't we?

AMightyCaporal

QuoteYou people that think they should release an album a year really bug the shit out of me.

We can HOPE, can't we?

Hope is just foolishness without reasonability

el_chode

We can HOPE, can't we?

What about Change?

AMightyCaporal

We can HOPE, can't we?

What about Change?

Change is just cash but with more added shiny

BH

We can HOPE, can't we?

What about Change?

Change is just cash but with more added shiny

;D
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Angry Ewok