Main Menu

Bo

Started by rincon, Apr 13, 2011, 03:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rincon

What a talent! Lets face it. Most keyboard players in guitar oriented rock bands are not usually needed. They tend to fill in for poor songwriting gaps. Bo is so much a part of the music and can easily not even be noticed, but the songs would not be complete without his playing. It is a controlled restraint that is very uncommon in most rock bands. Even a  band  like Drive-by Truckers who have understated keyboards could survive without a keyboard player, but I could not imagine MMJ without Bo's atmospheric tones and melodies.

johnnYYac

Bo is great, awesome, integral to MMJ's post ISM sound.  And he takes on pre-Z tunes live onstage equally well.  Nice as hell, too.

I had a thread about Bo but it died in the transtion to the shiny new forum, so here's a cool interview w/Bo from a while back.  Also, another thread about Bo.

http://youtu.be/m5AbmFq8dYY

http://www.mymorningjacket.com/forum/index.php?topic=1632.0
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

EasyRyder

I have to admit I never fully appreciated Bo until I had my ear about two feet from his piano at the Pres. Hall show after Jazz Fest. He made the show for me, and his musicianship blew me away in a way that I had never experienced from other live Jacket shows.

I would love for him to be turned up in the mix on this new tour, and it seems like it may be a distinct possibility judging by the new tunes.

The organ wails on Mahgeetah are a personal favorite, and those ethereal moments (TWTHS comes to mind immediately)  created by his wall of heavenly string sound truly brings a unique dimension to the band...we heart you Bo  :beer:
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

Crispy

Bo's is an vital contribution, and often a powerful force to be reckoned with on its own. I totally got lost in his jam on Cobra with Patrick at T5 -- wonderful sounds, dexterity and emotion.

And as Johnny sez, a super nice guy.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

buymycar

I realized how integral Bo was to the band when they played the all-acoustic Bridge School Benefit Concert in 2007.  Stripped down, you could really hear what he brings to the band.  Being able to play Neil Young's pump organ must have been a thrill for Bo.

e_wind

Where is Bo From?
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

kotchishm

Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf