Main Menu

Heavy Metal!!

Started by Ruckus, Apr 22, 2011, 09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

Another great show!  First time at the Fillmore and I hate to admit it was one hell of a venue.

Animals as Leaders were extraordinary as well. 
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

dmooney99

I have to be in the right mood also.  I've been to my fair of metal shows about 10 years ago or so.  Some of my favs:

Metallica
Sabbath
Slayer
Pantera
Mudvayne
Damageplan
Hellyeah
System Of A Down
White Zombie/Rob Zombie
Ministry
Kittie
Static-X
Soulfly
Sepultura
Opeth
OTEP
Killswitch Engage (not too familiar with them bit from i heard i like)
Hatebreed (when they first came out)
Slipknot (first few albums)
Iron Maiden
Tool ( i consider them metal)
Mastodon
Motorhead
Megadeth (early-mid years)

manonthemoon

Quote from: Ruckus on Feb 17, 2013, 10:13 AM
Another great show!  First time at the Fillmore and I hate to admit it was one hell of a venue.

Animals as Leaders were extraordinary as well.

I thought they were the highlight of the night, really talented guitar players.
Ironaunt was okay at best, they kind of made me feel sleepy with a lot of their riffs, so I couldn't really get into them.
Mesuggah was a great show, but like I said before I liked the last song they played instrumentally the best.  The way over the top growling just doesn't add anything overall for me.

Should be a few more good shows comming up with Pig Destroyer at the Black Cat and High on Fire at the fillmore.
Alive or Just Breathing

MrWhippy

If anyone wants to see the Meshuggah wheelchair crowd surfer from the Silver Spring, MD show in action, go to 5:23 in this video.

Meshuggah - Bleed live 16 February 2013
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

Fully

The crowd in that video really makes this look like an awesome show to go to. I wish I was able to go harder and like this music more.

MrWhippy

Quote from: Fully on Feb 18, 2013, 08:19 AM
The crowd in that video really makes this look like an awesome show to go to. I wish I was able to go harder and like this music more.

What's stopping you?  I'm sure y'all got metal down there in Tennessee.  If you don't have any friends that will go with you, just go anyway and make new friends. 

One thing I love about metal shows is the crowds.  Yes, some people react aggressively to the music, but that is contained and can be avoided if you don't want to be a part of it. 

To me metal crowds are just about the friendliest, most respectful rock and roll crowds I'm ever a part of.  There is a serious sense of community among metal heads.  Except people need to stop calling me "sir." 

Speaking of metal in Tennessee, one of my favorite parts of Bonnaroo the last few years was the all-day metal tent they started doing.  Really pissed me off that they took that away last year.  That was a big part of why I bailed on Roo last year.

Ruckus

It's true sir.  The metal community is seemingly filled with nothing but kind and intelligent concert goers.  In fact, except for one encounter at a German club with some white power types almost twenty years ago, I've never had any bad experiences at metal shows.

Meshuggah is such a live force.  I was quoting my friend to Whippy about how three people side by side at a Meshuggah show could all be headbanging to different beats and none of them would be wrong.  It really is hard to wrap my mind around their rhythmic arrangements and brute power.

Fully

I have no idea where to find TN metal shows other than big stadium tours. I'm not as familiar with the genre. Although I do Kirk in this thread and sometime listen to the bands you discuss. It just isn't really my thing. I like my music to rock hard, but not quite metal hard. The TOOl suggestions you've thrown at me Whippy are probably as hard as I'll go with the occasional Megadeth or Metallica thrown in the mix. Still that crowd looks like a blast.

Fully

Also I lurk not Kirk.

Crispy

I Kirk a little bit here too, but don't listen to much metal, and the only metal-type show I've been to was The Sword, and I had a great time. Everybody there (at the front at least) was there to hear and see the music, not to talk. Added benefit: one can seldom hear the talkers at a metal show.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Fully

Quote from: Crispy on Feb 18, 2013, 04:53 PM
I Kirk a little bit here too, but don't listen to much metal, and the only metal-type show I've been to was The Sword, and I had a great time. Everybody there (at the front at least) was there to hear and see the music, not to talk. Added benefit: one can seldom hear the talkers at a metal show.

I rhoid this.

MrWhippy

Yeah, it's funny, now that I think about it some more, I can't think of one bad crowd experience at a metal show, and I go to alot of metal shows.  People seem to save all those annoying concert behaviors we've been discussing for other kinds of shows.

Oh Metal, why must you keep giving me reasons to love you even more.

Mr. White

Quote from: MrWhippy on Feb 18, 2013, 07:50 PM
Yeah, it's funny, now that I think about it some more, I can't think of one bad crowd experience at a metal show, and I go to alot of metal shows.  People seem to save all those annoying concert behaviors we've been discussing for other kinds of shows.

Oh Metal, why must you keep giving me reasons to love you even more.

Tenacious D - The Metal live (HD)
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

manonthemoon

Yeah in general the crowds are great, no big issue.  Every once in a while you'll see a few people who have indulged themselves a little too much and things might get dicey there, but nothing more than any other show I have been too.  Plus you have a lot less of people just trying to barge their way up front, unless they are going into the mosh pit, which is totally fine with me.  Plus the energy of the crowd, music, and band is always just so strong that you just feel the rush from it that you don't get from most shows.
Alive or Just Breathing

Tired Eyes

manonthemoon

Quote from: Fully on Feb 18, 2013, 04:43 PM
I have no idea where to find TN metal shows other than big stadium tours. I'm not as familiar with the genre. Although I do Kirk in this thread and sometime listen to the bands you discuss. It just isn't really my thing. I like my music to rock hard, but not quite metal hard. The TOOl suggestions you've thrown at me Whippy are probably as hard as I'll go with the occasional Megadeth or Metallica thrown in the mix. Still that crowd looks like a blast.

If you like Doom Metal, Pallbearer is playing at The End in Nashville on next Monday.  A very good band who is really good live as well.
Alive or Just Breathing

MrWhippy

Yes, Fully, Pallbearer is awesome, you can start there.

Regarding that metal cookbook, there better be at least one recipie in there for barbecued goat or that is a serious metal fail.  The cookbook looks cool, but I'm wondering if wouldn't be great for us of the vegetarian persuasion.

The cookbook got me thinking, though, wouldn't it be cool if there was a company that was the metal equivalent of Martha Stewart Living?  Something to make sure everything you do in life has a metal flair and style to it? 

I'm thinking of starting such a company and calling it "Mr. Whippy Metal Living."  What do y'all think?  Do I have some potentail customers?  Martha would be an obvious role model, except for the incarceration part.

Ruckus

Quote from: MrWhippy on Feb 19, 2013, 07:17 PM

I'm thinking of starting such a company and calling it "Mr. Whippy Metal Living."  What do y'all think?  Do I have some potentail customers? 
:grin: Yes!  You can give tips on how to improve the metal bathroom!

Fully

Ok. Now I have to consider this Pallbearer show. I'd better listen to them first. I don't know...this is a big step for me. Y'all are just pushing me into this too fast!!!

Fully

I don't care for monster singing. There's none of that guttural monster singing in this is there?