Main Menu

Menomena

Started by capt. scotty, Apr 22, 2011, 09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exist10z

Oh, and if you haven't seen their 'takeaway' show in a little courtyard in Paris, you're missing out.  So cool.  Shitty at linking things, but it's on YouTube.
Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

EverythingChanges

Ohh to be a machine,
Ohh to be wanted, to be useful
Ohh to be a machine...
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

sweatboard

I always think these dudes next album is going to be the one that gets me...but no!  I got through three songs and decided to just put on Tame Impala...ahhhh much better!
There's Still Time.........

exist10z

Quote from: sweatboard on Oct 22, 2012, 12:24 AM
I always think these dudes next album is going to be the one that gets me...but no!  I got through three songs and decided to just put on Tame Impala...ahhhh much better!

Funny you say that.  Tame Impala got good reviews, everyone here seems to love it, and it sounds from descriptions like the kind of music I would like; but played some samples and listened to some YouTube, and meh.  I am not done with Tame Impala, I am gonna give it a longer trial for sure and hope it grabs me, but it's just funny that mentioned them.

You never know what's going strike a chord, as it were.  We obviously all love MMJ, but tastes will vary on other music obviously...
Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

EverythingChanges

Here's a great interview about Moms and how the band feels about Brent leaving:

http://pitchfork.com/features/update/8885-menomena/

Apparently, Justin was going to write about masturbation for the new LP.  Haha, it is a good read!

Fully

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Oct 22, 2012, 11:36 AM

Apparently, Justin was going to write about masturbation for the new LP.  Haha, it is a good read!
Thanks for posting this. I just started listening to Moms today. I like what little I've had time to listen to so far.

EverythingChanges

Quote from: Fully on Oct 22, 2012, 01:25 PM
Quote from: EverythingChanges on Oct 22, 2012, 11:36 AM

Thanks for posting this. I just started listening to Moms today. I like what little I've had time to listen to so far.

I'm just now discovering them as well, I bought their three newest LPs and I am enjoying them all.  Check out Five Little Rooms, Tithe, One Horse, Wet and Rusting, and Heavy is As Heavy Does.  Those are some great tunes to start with imo.  Maybe not One Horse, but damn do I love that one!

EverythingChanges

Thanks you Scotty for the recommendation of these dudes!  I can't stop listening to their stuff.  They are quite the unique band. 

Favorites so far:
One Horse
Five Little Rooms
Taos
Evil Bee
Tithe
Heavy is As Heavy Does
Muscle n' Flow
Pelican
Plumage
Dirty Cartoons

exist10z

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Oct 22, 2012, 07:44 PM
Thanks you Scotty for the recommendation of these dudes!  I can't stop listening to their stuff.  They are quite the unique band. 

Favorites so far:
One Horse
Five Little Rooms
Taos
Evil Bee
Tithe
Heavy is As Heavy Does
Muscle n' Flow
Pelican
Plumage
Dirty Cartoons

You have lot's to listen to all at once, but when you get a chance, check out E. Is Stable and The Strongest Man In The World from the first album.

EverythingChanges

Quote from: exist10z on Oct 22, 2012, 09:25 PM
Quote from: EverythingChanges on Oct 22, 2012, 07:44 PM

Favorites so far:
One Horse
Five Little Rooms
Taos
Evil Bee
Tithe
Heavy is As Heavy Does
Muscle n' Flow
Pelican
Plumage
Dirty Cartoons

You have lot's to listen to all at once, but when you get a chance, check out E. Is Stable and The Strongest Man In The World from the first album.

Affirmative, will do!

EverythingChanges

I just listened to Strongest Man in the World....  :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: So different, so beautiful!

exist10z

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Oct 25, 2012, 08:51 PM
I just listened to Strongest Man in the World....  :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: So different, so beautiful!

Indeed.

They still play it live, played it when I saw them last month, it was amazing.

EverythingChanges

Quote from: exist10z on Oct 25, 2012, 10:44 PM
Quote from: EverythingChanges on Oct 25, 2012, 08:51 PM

Indeed.

They still play it live, played it when I saw them last month, it was amazing.

I was looking for dates in Indiana, but they don't have any atm.  It seems like most bands avoid this state unfortunately.  I can only recall MMJ coming here once  :cry:. I typically have to catch MMJ when they roll through Louisville.

EverythingChanges

My dream set if they come somewhere close to me.  However, I am not sure if they will play Evil Bee or Wet and Rusting Etc., since Brent isn't with them for vocals  :undecided:.  I hope that isn't true.  They could play those just fine I am sure.  Vocals might be a bit off, but that is no reason to trash those wonderful tunes of theirs!

Strongest Man In the World
The Pelican
Taos
Plumage
The Late Grate Libido
Capsule
Wet and Rusting
Don't Mess With Latexas
Skintercourse
Dirty Cartoons
Rotten Hell
West
E. Is Stable
Pique
Five Little Rooms
Heavy Is As Heavy Does
The Monkey's Back
Boyscout'n
Evil Bee

Encore:
Musle n' Flo
Queen Black Acid
Tithe
One Horse

exist10z

Yeah, that would be a great set, but they aren't the Jacket, you're looking at an hour and a half show max.  If you want to see what they're actually playing, you can check Setlist.com, but it doesn't seem like they're going to be playing Wet and Rusting anymore, but they could do it easily, the voices are similar. Oh well...

EverythingChanges

Quote from: exist10z on Oct 27, 2012, 10:20 PM
Yeah, that would be a great set, but they aren't the Jacket, you're looking at an hour and a half show max.  If you want to see what they're actually playing, you can check Setlist.com, but it doesn't seem like they're going to be playing Wet and Rsuting anymore, but they could do it easily, the voices are similar. Oh well...

That set is only 2 hoursish.  I know it is unlikely, but imo if you are the main act of the night you owe it to your fans to play for two hours minimum.  I will never understand why some bands will only play for 90mins tops.  I saw Black Keys last March and they were great, but man for how big they've become they really have no clue how to really play a good show.  Especially when their set was 85% El Camino and Brothers (Their newest albums) with barely any tunes from all of their older stuff.  Their set was uncreative and short.  When I saw Rush in 2010, they had no warm-up bands before them and they played a 3 hour set with an intermission in the middle.  That is how I think a lot of bands (that have really made it) should approach their live sets.  Menomena isn't quite there yet, but I would love to see them achieve that.  The two of them have recently said that this tour has been their favorite to date.  I am glad they are enjoying themselves this time around.

I've already inspected setlist.com, which is why I was afraid that they are avoiding Evil Bee, Wet and Rusting, E. is Stable etc.  I understand why they would leave them out on this tour.  They need to re-find themselves and they are enjoying the new setup with just the two of them; nevertheless, they will eventually have to pull those songs back out.  They are too grand to leave in the dark all dusty and forgotten!

capt. scotty

Glad to make another fan EverythingChanges!! You seem to know their catalogue better than myself at this point!  :grin:

I caught them a couple weeks ago in Philly, great show. Was able to walk up like 5ft from the stage not too much before they came on. Very tight, sound was great. Opened with Muscle N Flo, my favorite song. I dont recall, and didnt even the next day  :tongue:, the exact setlist, but I felt like they primarily played Moms songs (def played Plumage, Capsule, Pique, Heavy Is, Tantalus, and Latexas..probably played 1 more but Ive listened to this album and Mines so much recently, it all blurs together). The encore was One Horse (which was awesome and makes me wish they jammed out more of their other songs) and The Pelican. They played Queen Black Acid and TAOS, but I dont think they played more than 1 other song off Mines. Besides the aforementioned 2 on Friend and Foe, they also played Weird and Rotten Hell. I think they played Boyscout'n but that might be wishful thinking. Considering thats about 15 songs, Im guessing thats about right.

Happy to have a band Ive discovered somewhat recently and finally see live just start to blow my mind  :thumbsup:
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

EverythingChanges

Quote from: capt. scotty on Oct 29, 2012, 11:00 PM
Glad to make another fan EverythingChanges!! You seem to know their catalogue better than myself at this point!  :grin:

I caught them a couple weeks ago in Philly, great show. Was able to walk up like 5ft from the stage not too much before they came on. Very tight, sound was great. Opened with Muscle N Flo, my favorite song. I dont recall, and didnt even the next day  :tongue:, the exact setlist, but I felt like they primarily played Moms songs (def played Plumage, Capsule, Pique, Heavy Is, Tantalus, and Latexas..probably played 1 more but Ive listened to this album and Mines so much recently, it all blurs together). The encore was One Horse (which was awesome and makes me wish they jammed out more of their other songs) and The Pelican. They played Queen Black Acid and TAOS, but I dont think they played more than 1 other song off Mines. Besides the aforementioned 2 on Friend and Foe, they also played Weird and Rotten Hell. I think they played Boyscout'n but that might be wishful thinking. Considering thats about 15 songs, Im guessing thats about right.

Happy to have a band Ive discovered somewhat recently and finally see live just start to blow my mind  :thumbsup:

Haha, yeah I've bought their 4 LPs and have listened to them religously for the past 2 weeks.  They have some really great songs and their sound is wonderfully unique.  I'd love to see them live and it's all good if all they play is Moms that album is rockin' hard!

I'm jealous you had the chance to see them live.  Bands seem to avoid Indiana for the most part. I can never figure out why MMJ avoids this state so much.  They've been here once as far as I am aware.  Indianapolis is Carl's hometown and Louisville is only a 2 hour drive south of Indy.   :huh:

capt. scotty

It was actually pretty coincidental. I first heard of and quickly got into Menomena about a year and a half ago. I remember hearing/watching a promo for Moms maybe 6 months ago or so just randomly wondering what they were up to, and low and behold a few weeks back I find out they released their new album couple weeks earlier, Im blown away by it, and theyre playing only a couple hours away on the only night that week I could see them 2 days later. Needless to say, way too perfect to miss out.

Hard to say why MMJ especially skips out on Indy. The proximity to Louisville and larger other midwestern cities probably has something to do with it, but Phish hits up Deer Creek like clockwork and I think at this point MMJ could sell that place pretty well during summer tour.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

EverythingChanges

Quote from: capt. scotty on Oct 31, 2012, 10:10 PM
It was actually pretty coincidental. I first heard of and quickly got into Menomena about a year and a half ago. I remember hearing/watching a promo for Moms maybe 6 months ago or so just randomly wondering what they were up to, and low and behold a few weeks back I find out they released their new album couple weeks earlier, Im blown away by it, and theyre playing only a couple hours away on the only night that week I could see them 2 days later. Needless to say, way too perfect to miss out.

Hard to say why MMJ especially skips out on Indy. The proximity to Louisville and larger other midwestern cities probably has something to do with it, but Phish hits up Deer Creek like clockwork and I think at this point MMJ could sell that place pretty well during summer tour.

I haven't heard that venue referred to as Deer Creek for awhile.  Yeah, they played at the lawn at White River State Park during the summer of 2011, but that is the only time I can recall them showing up in Indiana.  At least their hometown is just a 2 hourish drive from my home, so I can easily catch them there occasionally.

I'm really getting into Moms right now, Pique and Don't Mess With Latexas are great jam songs.  I figure they would sound really great live.