Another perspective of Evil Urges

Started by rincon, Apr 23, 2011, 06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rincon

I just reached my one year anniversary as an MMJ fan. I have heard EVERYTHING released, so now I have a better perspective of the sometimes negative view of Evil Urges. If you are not a fan of this album(I think it is awesome), here is my thoughts. This is inspired by the review of Circuital that describes EU as a mess.

EU is very much like The Who's Odds and Sods. For those of you not familiar with  it is the iconic album of unreleased track compilations. Many bands have made albums of songs that did not make the first cut, and were later released in compilation type albums. EU is just like them, with the exception that MMJ seemed to want to make an album like that with new songs. It took care of Jim's desire to explore new sounds, only instead of digging into an archive, he wrote new songs to express his  eclective tastes in music. Anyone who has heard the Bonnaroo 2008 concert is aware of his love for music unlike their established sound. It was almost a musical "high colonic". He got something out of his system, and now, Circuital, is apparently his next step in the progression of MMj albums that have an evolving thematic sound.

If taken with that perspective, and realizing it was a musical detour, I find it very unique, and admirable. If fans feel that they were let down by his musical style experiment, I truly doubt this will be repeated in the near future.

dookie shoot bandit

I think every album including Circuital sounds very different.  We all love every album, but we all love each album for different reasons.  Each album reaches or gets a new fan addicted to the music and then is introduced to or learns to appreciate the other albums

rincon

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Apr 23, 2011, 06:23 PM
I think every album including Circuital sounds very different.  We all love every album, but we all love each album for different reasons.  Each album reaches or gets a new fan addicted to the music and then is introduced to or learns to appreciate the other albums
I totally agree, but EU was in my opinion, intentionally avoiding a coherent thematic sound, with the possible exception of a consistent mix.

touchingmept2

I'm totally on the same page with you Mr Rincon. When I put EU on it takes me back to '08, a time when U.S. was getting a new prez. It was a very odd time in my life. It was my first Jacket show. I remember being in front of Jim, Dammit I had to fight my way to get to the front! ;D :D And who can deny "Highly Suspicious!!!!!"
The time is near, to come forward with whatever killed your spark.

el_chode

i thought you saw my bananagram pic and were talking about it as a new perspective

I'm surrounded by assholes