Record Store Day 2011 anyone?

Started by Im The Dude, Apr 12, 2011, 10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

Quote from: Ghosts_on_T5 on Apr 18, 2011, 09:18 PM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Apr 18, 2011, 09:11 PM
Quote from: Jaimoe on Apr 18, 2011, 11:30 AM
I still buy CDs (and new vinyl) and do so at indie record stores, so this day is just another day for me - but it is a good idea.
Same here.  In fact, I stopped by a place in Mass. on my way home from visiting my Dad, thinking "hey, its Record Store Day!  Let's see what they've got."  Turned out they don't participate 'cause they only sell used vinyl, CDs, books, etc.  Place is called Rabbit Hole.

I scored some interesting discs for $46, all in excellent shape:

Bright Eyes- A Collection of Songs '95-'97
Better Than Ezra- Deluxe
Sugar- Besides
Bob Dylan- Tell Tale Signs, Bootleg Series Vol. 8
Beck- The Information
Blues Traveler- Straight On Till Morning
Blues Traveler- self-titled debut

I guess I spent most of my time in the B section, huh?   ;D

Don't get your hopes too high for the bright eyes, its pretty meh. It has its bright (see what I did there?) spots. Better than most 15 year olds write though. Falling out of love at this volume (which he still plays live), Feb. 15th, and a celebration upon completion are highlights off hand.
Yeah, I already gave it a listen.  Its exactly what I expected, which is fine for a few bucks.  I gathered by that date range it was his puberty album.  Still, not bad as a historical document. 

I've given each CD a brief spin and the Beck comes with a DVD I've yet to play.  The Dylan is a hefty collection of "rare and unreleased".  I actually just say Blues Traveler last year and was happy to add 2 more titles to my BT collection.  The brief spin of Sugar's "Besides" was a nice add after hearing Bob Mould's contribution on the new Foo Fighters release. 
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Penny Lane

Quote from: johnnYYac on Apr 18, 2011, 09:35 PM
I still buy CDs (and new vinyl) and do so at indie record stores, so this day is just another day for me - but it is a good idea.
Same here.  In fact, I stopped by a place in Mass. on my way home from visiting my Dad, thinking "hey, its Record Store Day!  Let's see what they've got."  Turned out they don't participate 'cause they only sell used vinyl, CDs, books, etc.  Place is called Rabbit Hole.

Better Than Ezra- Deluxe
Sugar- Besides
Beck- The Information

Don't get your hopes too high for the bright eyes, its pretty meh. It has its bright (see what I did there?) spots. Better than most 15 year olds write though. Falling out of love at this volume (which he still plays live), Feb. 15th, and a celebration upon completion are highlights off hand.
Yeah, I already gave it a listen.  Its exactly what I expected, which is fine for a few bucks.  I gathered by that date range it was his puberty album.  Still, not bad as a historical document. 

I've given each CD a brief spin and the Beck comes with a DVD I've yet to play.  The Dylan is a hefty collection of "rare and unreleased".  I actually just say Blues Traveler last year and was happy to add 2 more titles to my BT collection.  The brief spin of Sugar's "Besides" was a nice add after hearing Bob Mould's contribution on the new Foo Fighters release.

good to know because that's the only Bright Eyes i think i don't have--and i probably won't get it now..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: Penny Lane on Apr 18, 2011, 11:59 PM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Apr 18, 2011, 09:35 PM

Better Than Ezra- Deluxe
Sugar- Besides
Beck- The Information

good to know because that's the only Bright Eyes i think i don't have--and i probably won't get it now..

Of the 3 songs I mentioned, you could find a live version of A Celebration...from the 04 mof tour (its actually pretty great), A better version of Feb 15th is on noise floor and either the studio version or a live version of Falling out of love.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

restlesssoul

2006X5, 2008x2, 2011x2, 2012x1, 2013x1, 2015x2