The Dark Side of Circuital

Started by Ruckus, Apr 26, 2011, 01:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

Now I've heard that people start constructing panty accordions come new album time so here is a thread for discerning, intelligent critiques of the upcoming music of our much adored band.

In this thread, one can air their beefs freely without repercussions so long as that favor is reciprocated in other threads.

I LOVE Circuital.  I love the Thai Pop original.  I'm still not in love with Black Metal but I feel it will be a live killer!  I wonder if the live chorus will be organic or Bo samples.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

el_chode

I'll admit, at first listen I wasn't blown away. However, I have little doubt that by the time it's windows down weather my tune will have changed.

Then again, I was expecting something else. It was a similar sensation as to when you think you pick up a glass of water, and it turns out to be a glass of milk, except you don't realize that until after you take a big gulp
I'm surrounded by assholes

Tracy 2112

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Penny Lane

Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 26, 2011, 01:15 AMI'm still not in love with Black Metal but I feel it will be a live killer!  I wonder if the live chorus will be organic or Bo samples.

agree and wondering, too
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

wakebord

i love black metal...i think this is the path they started down with highly suspicious but figured out over 3 years how to really make it catchy and groovy, as opposed to just a funky song that people love/hate.

i imagine bo will do a lot of sampling on this one, but you'd have to think that they'd want a live horn section rather than sampling that on top of the female choir.  which would hopefully mean people get dancefloors, easy morning rebel, and maybe even ONE BIG HOLIDAY with horns!

rincon

Quote from: wakebord on Apr 26, 2011, 07:33 AM
i love black metal...i think this is the path they started down with highly suspicious but figured out over 3 years how to really make it catchy and groovy, as opposed to just a funky song that people love/hate.

i imagine bo will do a lot of sampling on this one, but you'd have to think that they'd want a live horn section rather than sampling that on top of the female choir.  which would hopefully mean people get dancefloors, easy morning rebel, and maybe even ONE BIG HOLIDAY with horns!
Why? That would be like when I saw Steely Dan after they had not played in over 20 years. they did Reeling in the Years in a jazz mode with a sax solo instead of a guitar. THEY SUCKED.

Ruckus

Quote from: rincon on Apr 26, 2011, 08:46 AM

Why? That would be like when I saw Steely Dan after they had not played in over 20 years. they did Reeling in the Years in a jazz mode with a sax solo instead of a guitar. THEY SUCKED.
You know...like the one they played at T5?  A couple of people liked it a little bit.

Ruckus

Ruckus

I agree with this all Wakebord.  Maybe we'll get a taste at Hangout festival.  The idea of sampling both horns and vocals seems problematic, particularly because the horns are so pronounced throughout.  I still have to listen to my drummer friend bitch about Lay Low after taking him to his 1st show at Merriweather last year.   ;)  Thankfully they didn't play Highly Suspicious and he didn't figure out what was going on in Wordless. ;D

I have no idea but I can see them doing it with just the choir sample...ok I have no leg to stand on now. ;D 

EDIT:  What am I even talking about?  That song needs all the parts.  Looking forward to it!

tdb810

Oh boy, I think Black Metal is just plain groovy, and I have loved Circuital since first hearing it live. 

So, let me just say this --   When Evil Urges came out, having the proud-anxious-parent feeling that I have for these boys, I found myself forcing the like on quite a few of the tracks, if you catch my drift.  I can say without reservation, that I have not had that feeling at all for the first two cuts of this album. 

.....Back at the Model Home

Ruckus

Quote from: tdb810 on Apr 26, 2011, 09:15 AM
Oh boy, I think Black Metal is just plain groovy, and I have loved Circuital since first hearing it live. 

So, let me just say this --   When Evil Urges came out, having the proud-anxious-parent feeling that I have for these boys, I found myself forcing the like on quite a few of the tracks, if you catch my drift.  I can say without reservation, that I have not had that feeling at all for the first two cuts of this album.

I totally agree with you tdb.  :)
But you are in the wrong thread for all your sunshine and happiness.  ;) This is for us curmudgeons to be angry for no reason so that we don't have to be reminded by others that we are being angry for no reason.

My Monkey Friend

2 for 2 on circuital so far. black metal is a great groovy song that i will love to drink beer to this summer. i always try to be honest in my assessment of the guy's new songs, and plan on doing the same on circuital.

tdb810

Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 26, 2011, 09:20 AM

I totally agree with you tdb.  :)
But you are in the wrong thread for all your sunshine and happiness.  ;) This is for us curmudgeons to be angry for no reason so that we don't have to be reminded by others that we are being angry for no reason.

see my angry in bold :) so, of course, it's not angry vis-a-vis Circuital, it is as angry as I can get with these fellas. I'm always in the wrong thread somehow :)
.....Back at the Model Home

Jon T.

Completely agree with your reaction with EU.  These new songs are so freaking sweet.  I wasn't completely sold on either at first, but I freakin love them now.  I am really trying to keep myself from listening to them too much.  Last night I was in bed with some headphones to listen to Black Metal again.  As soon as the initial, "oh wo wo wo..." starts on, I immediately started grinning ear to ear.  That song is going to kill live!

el_chode

I think my sentiments are more in line with Masterplan. The first time you hear it, it's not like you're all "BEST SONG EVAR" but this is pretty cool. Then as you listen to it more and more, you just get it.

For some reason, after hearing the Thai Pop version, I got it.

And, for what it's worth, I love Highly Suspicious and agree that stylistically this is like it's bad ass older brother.
I'm surrounded by assholes

slimsloslider

Quote from: Penny Lane on Apr 26, 2011, 07:11 AM
Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 26, 2011, 01:15 AMI'm still not in love with Black Metal but I feel it will be a live killer!  I wonder if the live chorus will be organic or Bo samples.

agree and wondering, too

i think as fans its our obligation and duty to make it organic.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 26, 2011, 08:50 AM

You know...like the one they played at T5?  A couple of people liked it a little bit.

I just can't wait til they're 30 years into thier career and they start reggaeing that shit out  8)

Like, how awesome would it be to hear a reggaed out version of Phone Went West?  ::)
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Ruckus

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Apr 26, 2011, 10:59 AM

I just can't wait til they're 30 years into thier career and they start reggaeing that shit out  8)

Like, how awesome would it be to hear a reggaed out version of Phone Went West?  ::)
Maybe they'll bust out a rapping skeleton on an upcoming title track over the next decade.  Now that would be some forward thinking if a skeleton rapped on the big screen during the interlude to Letting Go of Disco

My Morning Tube top

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Apr 26, 2011, 10:59 AM

I feel like they totally reggaed out Phone Went West at T5. I love me some Reggae  ;)
My Morning Jacket - Phone Went West - Terminal 5 - 10-19-10

Ruckus I love your banter and hope to get to rock out next to your ear to ear smile ;D at a show this summer and what would this site be without El Chode...lol

I am loving it all, anticipation and teasing of song releases it's like great foreplay! Hey Oh!

FiddleCastro

Black Metal makes no sense to me, and Circuital sounds like what would happen if Keyboard Cat and John Mellencamp collaborated.  I'm also upset they're probably adding some weird synth and drums to Wonderful. ;D
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh