Hullabaloufest

Started by jdbartender, Nov 30, 2009, 04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdbartender

A music festival in LOUISVILLE, Ky - and MMJ is not invited????

Now --- I am not a fan of some of the bands that are going to be there, but I wouldn't mind seeing MMJ with the Black Crowes, Gov't Mule, or the Doobie Brothers...  Ya think there is a chance things might change and they squeeze on the bill?

------

http://www.kentucky.com/latest_news/story/1040038.html

http://www.hullabaloufest.com/

3-day music fest set for home of Kentucky Derby
By BRUCE SCHREINER - Associated Press Writer

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- The home of the Kentucky Derby will become a stomping ground Bon Jovi, Kenny Chesney and other music stars during a three-day festival that organizers hope will become as renowned in music circles as the Run for the Roses is in horse racing, officials said Monday.

The "HullabaLOU Music Festival" represents a major venture by a new wholly owned subsidiary of Churchill Downs Inc. that was formed with the goal of making Churchill Downs an industry leader in live entertainment.

"Our goal ... will be to make this music festival to the music festival business what the Kentucky Derby is to horse racing," said Steve Sexton, president of Churchill Downs Entertainment Group.

The event is the latest effort to broaden uses for the historic track and to boost income for the parent company, which owns tracks in Illinois, Florida and Louisiana along with its namesake track in Louisville. Sexton said he would be pleased if the festival could draw up to 30,000 people a day.
Officials have also begun hosting horse races at night as they try to lure more people to the track, and Churchill Downs has also hosted megastars The Rolling Stones and The Police in recent years.

The festival, set for next July 23-25 at Churchill, will feature more than 65 bands playing everything from classic rock to country to adult contemporary to bluegrass, Sexton said at a news conference at the track.
Five stages will be set up throughout the sprawling 147-acre facility known for its iconic twin spires and the Kentucky Derby is run each May.
Quint Davis, consulting producer of HullabaLOU, said organizers "hit the trifecta" by booking Bon Jovi, Chesney and the Dave Matthews Band as headliners for the festival.

"You can't set the bar any higher than to create musical magic under the twin spires," said Davis, producer and director of the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, held at the Fair Grounds Race Course, a Churchill Downs Inc.-owned racetrack.

Other musical acts scheduled to appear at HullabaLOU include the Steve Miller Band, Gladys Knight, The Doobie Brothers, Dwight Yoakam, Michael McDonald, Loretta Lynn, Steppenwolf, Kansas, 38 Special, The Black Crowes, Taj Mahal and The O'Jays.

Tickets go on sale Friday, and packages range from $60 for a one-day general admission pass to $975 for a three-day VIP package.
James Wood, president and CEO of the Louisville Convention & Visitors Bureau, estimated that the festival could have a $38 million economic impact on the Louisville area.

The festival will come about three weeks after the track's spring racing meet concludes. Sexton said the goal is to build Churchill Downs Entertainment Group into an industry leader in live entertainment that won't be limited to events at Churchill-owned venues. Churchill knows how to put on large events as the annual host of the Derby and the Kentucky Oaks.
"We are going to create, we're going to innovate, we're going to operate large-scale live events," he said

xmascriminal

That is a horrible, horrible lineup, except for Al Green and War. Wow. If MMJ did play that thing, I'd lose a lot of my respect for them. Who would want to be associated with that?

jones

I heard that they are supposed to join Richard Marx for the second half of his set, plus the encore: 'Right Here Waiting'.

ALady

There's some not-bad stuff on that lineup, and a couple of great acts (I'd see Al Green, Loretta Lynn, and the Crowes in a heartbeat) but mostly I just don't understand it.  Who is their target audience?
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

jdbartender

QuoteThere's some not-bad stuff on that lineup, and a couple of great acts (I'd see Al Green, Loretta Lynn, and the Crowes in a heartbeat) but mostly I just don't understand it.  Who is their target audience?

That's what I'm saying...

I guess I just found it odd that they are starting an annual rock music festival in Louisville  and MMJ is not a part of it  - Maybe I am just hoping that there is a reason MMJ will do at least one show next year  :'(

But I would be happy to see Al Green, The Crowes, Govt Mule, and the Doobies...  The problem is that they are all spread out in the middle of a crap sandwich.

ALady

I feel pretty confident we will see MMJ at least once next year.  Maybe not at this fest, though.

I understand what you're saying, though...it does seem odd that a fest based out of Louisville wouldn't include the Jacket.

manicfanatic

It looks like they're trying to please all types with this lineup.   Though it would be killer to see MMJ perform with Rev Al.  If they are not there officially and Jim is in the area, I could see him doing a song with a few of these artists.
"We're the heirs to the glimmering world"

Ghosts_on_TV

Just cause they aren't playing doesn't mean they weren't invited. Just Saying.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

DaFunkyPrecedent

QuoteJust cause they aren't playing doesn't mean they weren't invited. Just Saying.

i was just gonna say that...
God damn those shaky knees.

The DARK

QuoteThere's some not-bad stuff on that lineup, and a couple of great acts (I'd see Al Green, Loretta Lynn, and the Crowes in a heartbeat) but mostly I just don't understand it.  Who is their target audience?

Gotta be the wealthy over 40's. It kinda makes sense that the Churchill Downs management would go with well-known 70's and 80's pop, but I think they kind of miss the point of a music festival. For the most part, people who enjoy these bands (except DMB fans) aren't going to want to spend three days in Louisville for concerts.
In another time, in another place, in another face

AMightyCaporal

I fucking hate bon jovi. I'm happy that MMJ isn't involved in anything near him.
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

ALady

Gotta be the wealthy over 40's. It kinda makes sense that the Churchill Downs management would go with well-known 70's and 80's pop, but I think they kind of miss the point of a music festival. For the most part, people who enjoy these bands (except DMB fans) aren't going to want to spend three days in Louisville for concerts.

Ah, yeah.  That's a good call.  It does skew a little older.

Sassbox

Huh...a few bands I'd like to see, but that's a pricey little festival for that lineup.  Quint Davis has the Midas touch, though.  It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.  I noticed him running around Newport Folk Fest this year.  Since that pretty much had to be privately financed this year, I'm wondering if he's going to get involved with that, too.
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

NoVa_NoLa

QuoteHuh...a few bands I'd like to see, but that's a pricey little festival for that lineup.  Quint Davis has the Midas touch, though.  It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.  I noticed him running around Newport Folk Fest this year.  Since that pretty much had to be privately financed this year, I'm wondering if he's going to get involved with that, too.

Quint Davis is behind this?  Hmmm, I'm heading down there soon.  I hope I bump into him again....with all these events, he's got to need some help.  :)

Edit:  Guess I shuold have read the first post first instead of last.   :)

slappymoe

QuoteA music festival in LOUISVILLE, Ky - and MMJ is not invited????

i have a theory....goes like this....

the organizers settled on their headliners....bon jovi, k. chesney, and DMB......all huge acts that will draw huge crowds from all around the region.  makes good sense to me.

but the three headlining acts had certain demands, one of which might have gone something like this:

"we'll come to louisville and play your festival, but there's no way in hell we're going to play on the same bill as my morning jacket.  put them on a different day, we don't want to be upstaged." :o

obviously pure speculation on my part, but i figure only a precious few established acts would want to try to follow MMJ in their hometown, and if they made MMJ the last act then one of the three "headliners" is no longer the headliner.

AMightyCaporal

the organizers settled on their headliners....bon jovi, k. chesney, and DMB......all huge acts that will draw huge crowds from all around the region.  makes good sense to me.

but the three headlining acts had certain demands, one of which went might have gone something like this:

"we'll come to louisville and play your festival, but there's no way in hell we're going to play on the same bill as my morning jacket.  put them on a different day, we don't want to be upstaged." :o

obviously pure speculation on my part, but i figure only a precious few established acts would want to try to follow MMJ in their hometown, and if they made MMJ the last act then one of the three "headliners" is no longer the headliner.

sounds right to me.  I have made an oath. next concert MMJ is performing in L-ville I'm flying out to see... they always bring the thunder playing there.
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

slappymoe

but the three headlining acts had certain demands, one of which went might have gone something like this:

sounds right to me.  I have made an oath. next concert MMJ is performing in L-ville I'm flying out to see... they always bring the thunder playing there.

i don't really like acting like i know what goes on in other people's heads, but the fear of being upstaged is a very real thing to a lot of acts.....like the stones refusing to release their "rock and roll circus" for decades because the who blew them away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlBip8CV1P8

xmascriminal

QuoteI have made an oath. next concert MMJ is performing in L-ville I'm flying out to see... they always bring the thunder playing there.

Likewise. After the Halloween MoF show me and my friend who I drove down with agreed that, if it's at all possible, we're going to make it back out to Louisville for the next MMJ tour. I mean, Detroit was amazing and everything last year, but Where to Begin alone would have justified the extra travel time. I'm kind of disappointed in myself. I had no idea, having just moved to Ohio, that Louisville was a reasonable distance away from here.

goose

This concert was set up to target everyone.  There are music fans of every liking in Louisville, but if you notice, the three headliners are to appeal to certain target audiences.  My take on it is that everyday will flow with the headliner (i.e. mellow for Dave on Sunday, country for Kenny on Saturday, and who knows wtf for Bon Jovi).  Funny thing is, I will probably go.  It still is a music festival, at an awesome place, with 5 stages.  There will be something good on at least one of them.
Hooked on four like one, two, three

BH

I hope this doesn't get in the way of Forecastle.  I have every intention of coming back for that if it works out.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.