I hate to be that guy but...

Started by Erik26, May 02, 2011, 08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sabretoothcowboy

Does Victory Dance remind anyone of Strangle Hold?

Erik26

After listening to the album about 6 times since last night I am drawing preliminary conclusions. I really wanted the first time I heard it to be May 31 or whenever the box set arrived in the mail but whatever!

I love the flow of the album. I really think that we'll start hearing Victory Dance-->Circuital when they start performing more new songs in the set. I would love to hear the rest of You Wanna Freak Out, I like the first 1:41 A LOT!

The album should translate very well live. There may even be room in some songs for exploration/jamming during the live performances. May 31st is going to be a great day that's for damn sure. Can't wait for the webcast!
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

vespachick

Quote from: sweatboard on May 03, 2011, 01:38 PM
Quote from: Kory on May 03, 2011, 01:35 PM
alright, i'm getting old... what are the cool kid torrent sites out there? PM please?
thx!

Haha,  I'm right there with you brother.  The fact that I don't know how to get the leak these days has really made it easy for me to abstain.
;D ;D
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

e_wind

My take: Slow slow tune is gonna be the epic live song. I agree there aren't really any raging songs, but I think that couldve been done purposefully. There seems to be a lot of room to make some songs ragers live. They've reinvented their sound again and it's awesome. I've only listened 1.5 times so far. The Wonderful recording sounds straight up like BH or Golden 
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

The DARK

Quote from: e_wind on May 03, 2011, 03:29 PM
My take: Slow slow tune is gonna be the epic live song. I agree there aren't really any raging songs, but I think that couldve been done purposefully. There seems to be a lot of room to make some songs ragers live. They've reinvented their sound again and it's awesome. I've only listened 1.5 times so far. The Wonderful recording sounds straight up like BH or Golden

What other songs do you think could be stretched out live?
In another time, in another place, in another face

bakerfall

Victory dance has some room for being jammed live, Circuital is a jam already.  First light has some room for a kick ass solo at the end, in place of the horns that are there now.

Honest Man

I'd say besides Circuital, Black Metal, Wonderful - my fav's have to be Victory Dance, First Light and Movin Away but as a whole this album is absolutely solid and a great surprise. This band never ceases to amaze me.
The fact that my hearts beating, is all the proof you need.

Dillsnufus

i also think "the day is coming" has a great vocal performance by jim.  :thumbsup:
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

e_wind

Quote from: The DARK on May 03, 2011, 03:40 PM
Quote from: e_wind on May 03, 2011, 03:29 PM

What other songs do you think could be stretched out live?

I'm halfway through another listen... Victory Dance
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

gardenparty

Quote from: Dillsnufus on May 03, 2011, 05:37 PM
i also think "the day is coming" has a great vocal performance by jim.  :thumbsup:
An early favorite for me.  the song bounces so well

Outta My System sounds a bit too mid tempo MOF for me.  Wouldn't be suprised if it's from those writing sessions

KemperBoyd

It sounds like Evil Urges without the great songs and without the bad songs.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: KemperBoyd on May 03, 2011, 07:52 PM

I have no idea what this means, but I love it    :thumbsup:
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

My Monkey Friend

where are yall finding the leak? i want a tiny taste....... ;D :thumbsup:

johnnYYac

I'm getting over feeling guilty about an early listen.  They've already deducted $80 for the deluxe grand slam from my checking account.

Also...

I'm listening to it on headphones right now, in the midst of track 4, Wonderful. 

This album is, at its start, masterful. 

Track 3 could be a breakthrough hit for MMJ and Jim James in contemporary rock, pop, soul, etc. 

Victory Dance is awesome. 

The songs flow into each other, a la At Dawn. 

I do miss an epic guitar song, another Lay Low, Run Thru, OBH, etc.  I think they will build some gigantic guitarsplosions playing most of the tunes live, however. 

I love the fuzz, the crackling, the subtle Omnichord (thanks, Jim, keeping my hobby alive). 

I'm into track 6- Black Metal!  I love this song more each time.

First Light is Dancefloors 2011!

Its not MY perfect My Morning Jacket album, but it is A perfect MMJ album.  Does that make sense?

The cut-off in track 8, You Wanna Freak Out, sort of blew my focus, but I can't wait to hear it complete in 4 weeks.

The last 2 tracks are nice mellow tunes, will require further study.

Not what I expected, though I'm not sure what I expected.  The more I'm listening, the more I'm liking. 

Man, we're so ready for the next Steam Engine or Dondante, an MMJ Terrapin Station.  Its not here, though.  Maybe Jim's solo album will have something epic. 

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

JaneCool

By the time I clicked on the link it was gone.  >:(

Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait.
So, I do believe.....

moses malone

i found it really, surprisingly, good on first couple listens.

KemperBoyd

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on May 03, 2011, 08:17 PM

I'm just saying that the lows aren't as low and the highs aren't as high for me... I think (or something).

The DARK

From what I caved in and listened to:

Victory Dance- AWESOME. I think my favorite so far... it dives back into the weird, dramatic pop of the first 3 songs on Z... can you imagine if they did a whole album that sounded like this? Crazy good.

Circuital- Wonderful song, as we all know. Fits well in the 2nd slot, just a great comfort to listen to.

The Day Is Coming- Cool song with great vocals and nice omni touches, but in the end it doesn't really go anywhere. My least favorite, I suppose, if I had to choose.

Wonderful (The Way I Feel)- Remember how long ago we first heard this? It was way back in 2007 at the Rudyard Kipling show... and it's aged like fine wine, easing gently into the MMJ catalogue. Along with Circuital, the most "old MMJ" so far.

Out of My System- Those slide guitars remind me a little bit of Drive By Truckers... slower and shorter than I was expecting, actually sounds like Smokin with more harmonies. Silly lyrics, but crescendos with the best of 'em. Great stuff.

Holdin on to Black Metal- The hardest rocker that I've heard on the album, sounds a lot wilder in context. I love it to death, personally.

First Light- Unheard!

You Wanna Freak Out- Unheard!

Slow Slow Tune- Sounds like it could have been on the Live at the Palms release; romantic feel of Thank You Too and I Will Sing You Songs. Nice solo!

Movin Away- Unheard!

First impressions are that the genre experiments aren't worn on the sleeve as much; songs like Slow Slow Tune capture the spirit of a genre rather than emulating the sound, which makes it a step up. Lots of midtempo and slower stuff... so far the only song that bucks all of these trends (in an awesome way) is Holdin on to Black Metal.

The first two songs are incredible, maybe the best ever start to a Jacket album. It all flows very, very well. If there's one criticism to be had, it's that while it sounds amazing, it's very restrained. Few guitar solos, Jim's voice (while in peak form here) never lets loose, and Patrick doesn't really have a showcase moment.

All in all, love it so far.
In another time, in another place, in another face

Ghosts_on_TV

I hope the songs the birds are singing in the background on wonderful get credit in the liner notes. That might be copyright infringement.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

bold992006

Quote from: KemperBoyd on May 04, 2011, 12:35 AM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on May 03, 2011, 08:17 PM

I'm just saying that the lows aren't as low and the highs aren't as high for me... I think (or something).

I know what you are saying..I think.  I didn't really like EU but there were songs I really liked like both Touch Me's...I don't hear anything on this that I like nearly as much...and even EU had some rockers..not great rockers but at least they were there.