Z album title

Started by Jackets N Pones, May 04, 2011, 10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackets N Pones

Does anyone have any insight on why the band chose the title "Z" for their fourth studio album? I have always wondered why. Thanks!
Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

DaFunkyPrecedent

26th letter and Jim was 26 when he wrote those songs...is that right?
God damn those shaky knees.

SaraBananaBear

Right on, or at least that's what he said...  :)
Quote"Just one letter not connected to any other letters or vowels at all. I like the shape of it. You can bend it to make a triangle. You can lop off one end to make a 7. I feel like it had a lot going for it. It's also the last letter, the 26th letter in the alphabet, and I wrote all the songs when I was 26."
- Jim James
(The Marquee Magazine October 2005)

And Mr. Blankenship adds:

Quote"Whenever I was talking about the title people would think it was going to be our last record. I thought that was funny. Or someone said we were going to start going backwards. After Z we'd do Y and just keep going that way"

- Tom Blankenship
(Pitchfork interview, April 2006)
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

youreveningcoat

Haha it seems like Jim just randomly thought the letter Z was cool from the quote SaraBananaBear shared
Do not spray into eyes, I have sprayed you into my eyes

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: youreveningcoat on May 06, 2011, 03:20 AM
Haha it seems like Jim just randomly thought the letter Z was cool from the quote SaraBananaBear shared

It might be random, it might not be random, I think that just like any other mysterious MMJ stuff, they just like to keep it private, which is fine by me, I enjoy the creative answers  :thumbsup:
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

wakebord

well, in a way, it was their last album of what a lot of people on this forum would probably call, for lack of a better term, "classic MMJ."  Since Z there has not been a long, epic song like Dondante or Steam Engine.  I know Touch Me Pt. 2 was long, but it isn't the burner that Steam or Dondante is.  Since Z, the band has clearly embraced different influences, while prior to Z and for the most part, on Z, they stuck to their guns, save Wordless Chorus and Off the Record. 

Jahmazed

Speaking of random I think its funny that Canadians call this album "zed"   :thumbsup:

youreveningcoat

That is true, and personally I don't mind EU and Circuital being different from their roots, I have faith that whatever MMJ's influences are at the moment they will lead us to a whole lot of god damn awesome music. :)

P.S I'm from New Zealand and we say zed too but this album I call zee. Same as I don't say zed zed top

vespachick

Quote from: Jahmazed on May 06, 2011, 07:52 AM
Speaking of random I think its funny that Canadians call this album "zed"   :thumbsup:

I presume that British folk do the same. 
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

Billo

It's Zee Zee Top because everything is easier in America.
To this Canadian it's Zed because greatness is never easy. 

Jaimoe

Quote from: vespachick on May 06, 2011, 02:05 PM

I believe you Yanks are in the minority in the world (if not alone) by calling z(ed), z(ee). But I will not refer to tomatoes as "tomottos".

youreveningcoat

Quote from: Jaimoe on May 08, 2011, 10:54 PM
Quote from: vespachick on May 06, 2011, 02:05 PM

I believe you Yanks are in the minority in the world (if not alone) by calling z(ed), z(ee). But I will not refer to tomatoes as "tomottos".

hahaha yeah neither, zed zed top sounds kinda weird though..

Indifference Maker

I heard that "Z" is a shot at Coldplay and their "X & Y" record.

"We Are The Innovators. They Are The Imitators."

youreveningcoat

Quote from: Indifference Maker on May 11, 2011, 06:23 AM
I heard that "Z" is a shot at Coldplay and their "X & Y" record.

"they are the imitators, we the innovators"

Wouldn't that mean that MMJ are the imitators? Because they copied coldplay.... stupid coldplay