Circuital Vinyl

Started by el_chode, May 06, 2011, 12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_chode

Let's sort something out right now: I can tell that this album is made like an album. From what I've heard of four songs (Victory Dance, Circuital, Wonderful (live) and Black Metal), I can taste a common thread through all of them. I don't know what it is, but it's there. The songs are going to flow, mix, and meld. There is no song, only album.

And based on that fact and knowing this band, I'm going to go ahead and say they've likely mixed the album in a way they ignored during EU - with a proper flow and balancing the highs and lows.

One question remains - how are these tracks going to be divided for the Vinyl? It's double vinyl for the special release, right? That doesn't make sense. LPs are traditionall around 45 mins, no? Isn't this whole shabang 46 minutes or something total?

Based on that, here's what I'd expect as the track listing on vinyl

Side A:
01 Victory Dance
02 Circuital
03 The Day is Coming
04 Wonderful (The Way I Feel)

Side B:
05 Outta My System
06 Holdin On To Black Metal   07 First Light
08 You Wanna Freak Out
09 Slow Slow Tune
10 Movin Away

I divide it like this because it looks like Circuital is checking in at over 7 mins, and Victory Dance is just under 5. So assuming some other songs are going to be only 3ish, it needs to balance out. Otherwise it'll go halfsies

Now, I haven't heard Out of My System yet, but here's what I'm noticing:
- Victory Dance opens like a classy whore's legs - easy and with seduction
- Wonderful is a great, great song to close out Side A
- Even if Wonderful doesn't close out Side A, it would mean that Black Metal opens Side B. So you can't lose! It's like a second opening track that grooves all over your face.

So, if my assumption that Moving Away is the perfect album closer proves true, this album will be one of the greatest whole albums made in recent memory (if you're in to that sort of thing).

Or we could just go on demanding they remake Dondante and One Big Holiday in various remixes and call it a new album. But then we'd just devolve into a Kings of Leon comparison thread as we analyze them as just making the same boring shit over and over.
I'm surrounded by assholes

darkglow

let me ask a logical question...

is it possible that jim lied to the press when he said it was 46 minutes long?? 46 minutes seems to be a bit short for two vinyls, no? the leak cuts into the cymbal crashing into victory dance and cuts out the majority of "you wanna freak out".. is victory dance really the opener and just how long is "YWFO"??

el_chode

Quote from: darkglow on May 06, 2011, 12:43 AM
let me ask a logical question...

is it possible that jim lied to the press when he said it was 46 minutes long?? 46 minutes seems to be a bit short for two vinyls, no? the leak cuts into the cymbal crashing into victory dance and cuts out the majority of "you wanna freak out".. is victory dance really the opener and just how long is "YWFO"??

e_wind calculated YWFO at 4 and change. And one of the reviews said the album opened with a gong

EasyRyder

Quote from: el_chode on May 06, 2011, 12:18 AM

So, if my assumption that Moving Away is the perfect album closer proves true, this album will be one of the greatest whole albums made in recent memory (if you're in to that sort of thing).

If they press it like you have side two listed, I think the second album, or side B, or however they do it- that string of songs will be my favorite B side since 2002.....maybe even the history of side B's. maybe even of the world...

I wanted to ask though, you mentioned the special release is a double LP, and I noticed that too upon purchase- so will each slimer just have one side of music on it?
I'm thinking the second side of each album will include high quality recordings of Jim's unreleased sleep apnea studies...I may be wrong though. 

I'm obviously not familiar with this sort of thing, so school me, please.
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

BigHerm

Someone in another thread heard the full version of YWFO, clocks in at 3:20 ...

sweatboard

I really like it when a band fits the entire record on one LP.  Neil Young was really good at this, the new Iron and Wine is a great example.  Since one LP holds 45-50min of music I'm not sure why they would make this a double. 

2 questions about the lp

1. Will the deluxe record arrive on my doorstep May 31st?

2. Does the standard non deluxe edition just have on lp?
There's Still Time.........

kotchishm

Quote from: sweatboard on May 06, 2011, 11:57 AM
I really like it when a band fits the entire record on one LP.  Neil Young was really good at this, the new Iron and Wine is a great example.  Since one LP holds 45-50min of music I'm not sure why they would make this a double. 

2 questions about the lp

Standard edition has one LP.

Z was two LP and it was around 47 minutes.  It's very broken up if i remember correctly only Wordless Chorus and It Beats 4 U were on side one.
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

littleacorn

maybe it will be a 45rpm lp?
mmj blew my brain to bits on 6-17-11,8-22-12, 6-11-15, 5-28-16, 5-29-16

el_chode

Quote from: kotchishm on May 06, 2011, 12:15 PM
Quote from: sweatboard on May 06, 2011, 11:57 AM

2 questions about the lp

Standard edition has one LP.

Z was two LP and it was around 47 minutes.  It's very broken up if i remember correctly only Wordless Chorus and It Beats 4 U were on side one.

Good insight then.

I know for a fact that the more nuanced an album is, the less can fit per side. SO, for example, a comedy album can squeeze more grooves because you're only recording a voice, so they can fit more on vinyl.

sweatboard

I wonder if Friends Again will be the Chills of this record.

sweatboard

I just can't freakin wait for this thing.  I get more and more excited each day. 

Roll Call
Palace Show
Palace Webcast
Circuital, Black Metal
T-5 Songs

God, I LOVE THIS BAND.  Greatest in the world!!!!!  Thanks MMJ

oistheone

I think it's pretty clear this is a double-LP. It's becoming common practice to split average length albums (around 45 minutes) onto two LPs. Looking past the fact that it enables the label to charge more for the record, it also improves audio quality. The vinyl is cut with more space between the grooves, and each side also ends well before dreaded "inner groove distortion" has the chance to rear its ugly head.

It's nice to be able to just flip the record once and there's your album -- but I'll be on board with any process that improves audio quality.

kotchishm

Quote from: sweatboard on May 06, 2011, 12:36 PM

I was wondering the same thing, Chills pushed Z over the 50 minute mark and is on the last side with Dondante....here's to hoping.....
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

headhunter

Quote from: oistheone on May 06, 2011, 12:42 PM
I think it's pretty clear this is a double-LP. It's becoming common practice to split average length albums (around 45 minutes) onto two LPs. Looking past the fact that it enables the label to charge more for the record, it also improves audio quality. The vinyl is cut with more space between the grooves, and each side also ends well before dreaded "inner groove distortion" has the chance to rear its ugly head.

It's nice to be able to just flip the record once and there's your album -- but I'll be on board with any process that improves audio quality.

I agree completely.  If the record clocks in at around 45 minutes, they could definitely "squeeze" it onto one lp.  However, for audio quality, putting into onto 2 separate lps with 4 sides (or even 3 with a blank 4th side perhaps with just a cool looking design but no grooves for sound) will certainly improve the audio quality of the record - often by a significant amount.  Might be less convenient for some to have to change the record after 15 minutes, but if you really care about sound quality, a 2 lp set is a nice gift for fans of vinyl. 

45 rpm would be even better sounding but I wouldn't count on that.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

EasyRyder

Quote from: kotchishm on May 06, 2011, 12:44 PM
Quote from: sweatboard on May 06, 2011, 12:36 PM

I was wondering the same thing, Chills pushed Z over the 50 minute mark and is on the last side with Dondante....here's to hoping.....

Come to think of it, it would fit really well after Movin Away.... :coffee:
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

scosby2

Quote from: headhunter on May 06, 2011, 12:53 PM
Might be less convenient for some to have to change the record after 15 minutes, but if you really care about sound quality, a 2 lp set is a nice gift for fans of vinyl. 

i'm really hoping they do this as well...i want the best sound quality i can get...that's why i haven't listened

sweatboard

I'm going to go ahead and get the standard version as well.  This way I can listen to the vinyl on the release day.  I'll also have a version I can just flip once.

I wanted to hear the record for the first time on vinyl and I also wanted to hear the songs before the Palace webcast.

PERFECT!! 

oistheone

Quote from: sweatboard on May 06, 2011, 02:36 PM
I'm going to go ahead and get the standard version as well.  This way I can listen to the vinyl on the release day.  I'll also have a version I can just flip once.

I wanted to hear the record for the first time on vinyl and I also wanted to hear the songs before the Palace webcast.

PERFECT!!

Solid plan -- but it looks like the standard vinyl version is two LPs as well! C'mon tho, two flips and a record swap ain't that bad!

littleacorn

Quote from: littleacorn on May 06, 2011, 12:17 PM
Don't mean to toot my own horn but beep beep ;D
mmj blew my brain to bits on 6-17-11,8-22-12, 6-11-15, 5-28-16, 5-29-16

headhunter

Quote from: littleacorn on May 28, 2011, 03:57 PM
Quote from: littleacorn on May 06, 2011, 12:17 PM
Don't mean to toot my own horn but beep beep ;D

Beep Beep littleacorn, I am happy to toot your horn as well.  Lovin' the 45 rpm green vinyl.  The sound quality is terrific!  Only downside, I'm gonna have trouble listening to this one on my ipod again. 

Great Bands like mmj, wilco, drive by truckers and many others are doing their part to help with the resurgence in vinyl.  So many new bands are even releasing their debut albums on vinyl (middle brother, belle brigade are 2 new good ones). Once you hear how good the sound can be, downloads just don't cut it.
was some shakin' and some record playin'