Main Menu

The Low Anthem

Started by wolof7, Feb 14, 2011, 10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolof7

I'v certainly done my fair share of touting these guys before as I have seen them since infancy in rooms, diners, clubs that can only fit 10 people and are half empty beginning 3-4 years ago. It seems the former thread was lost in this boards' cyberspace move.

....but here is the new album Smart Flesh which was recorded in a cavernous abandoned pasta sauce factory in Central Falls, RI. Mixed by Mike Mogis for you Bright Eyes, MOF fans. Enjoy:  :)

http://www.npr.org/2011/02/13/133620611/first-listen-the-low-anthem-smart-flesh
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

EasyRyder

Apothecary Love is giving me them ol' Gram Parsons chills...I can dig this  :thumbsup:

When I saw them at Bonnaroo '09 I very much enjoyed their set...but I already like this better than Charlie Darwin.

Thanks for sharing!!!
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

wolof7

It's a masterfully restrained recording...I'd liken it to the isolative Bon Iver's For Emma with more variation.

I mean a song like "Wire" is just plain beautiful. And "Burn" is Leonard Cohen reincarnated.

It's definitely an album to be listened to late at night, in the dark.

At first I didn't think it was going to top OMGCD but it seems more maturely constructed and certainly just as challenging an album with so many easter eggs revealing themselves within each listen. I mean they used 47 or so instruments but at 1st listen it's sounds like they use 3 or 4

wolof7

I know I am this band's biggest cheerleader, partly due to getting to know them through the years, as I have mentioned above. But if you have not checked out Smart flesh you should. It's a great album, possibly better than their last OMGCD, it is certainly an album that unveils itself more and more with each listen.

Just got a chance to see them last weekend at the Pasta Sauce factory where they recorded it. It was quite a special event which brought pretty much the whole Providence music/arts community together in basically a warehouse-style show with other musical acts, local artisans and the like. They've done a lot for that community. The show was amazing.

For those of you seeing Iron and Wine I would not miss them, you are in for a treat. Very intimate music.

Here's there NPR show, it's wonderful: http://www.npr.org/2011/02/25/133968114/live-thursday-the-low-anthem-in-concert

bold992006

I've met these guys and hung out a little with Jocie...really cool people.  She will occasionally show up and sit in with this local band called Session Americana in Cambridge, MA and I got to hang with her at the David Wax Museum cd release party.

This album is really great....and they are a fantastic live band..hoping to catch them at a few festivals this summer.

Penny Lane

Quote from: EasyRyder on Feb 14, 2011, 11:20 AM
Apothecary Love is giving me them ol' Gram Parsons chills...I can dig this  :thumbsup:

i'm late in the game (as usual) but i can't stop listening to them, especially that song (you're right, total gram parsons)...reminds me of when i first heard phosphorescent...
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

wolof7

Here is 2 vids that give a peak into their recording space. Boeing 737 is amazing live, probably the only true "rocker" on the album but it should be a single at some point. The lyrics are somewhat tied to 9/11. I think the songwriting on Smart flesh far exceeds their previous efforts and that is no small feat. Each song is like a storybook unto itself:
The Low Anthem: Boeing 737
Ghost Woman Blues

headhunter

I saw these guys play live at the Newport Fold Fest and they were awesome.

I love OMGCD but haven't yet picked up the new one.  That will change next time I get to my local record shop.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

wolof7

Quote from: headhunter on Mar 18, 2011, 11:37 AM
I saw these guys play live at the Newport Fold Fest and they were awesome.

I love OMGCD but haven't yet picked up the new one.  That will change next time I get to my local record shop.

What's awesome about that is that 3 years ago they were volunteering that festival, cleaning trash and handing out copies of their 1st album (What the Crow Brings) and demos of OMGCD. Paste magazine really pumped them due to coming across their music from that fest. The next year they filled the tent and were signed to Nonesuch, and last summer they played the main stage. I missed them play it but caught them with the Swell season, they played round 2-3 songs together.

Hawkeye

Also love these guys...thanks Penny and Wolof!  Definitely get the Phosphorescent comparisons.  Smart Flesh is a great album.  Need to check out Charlie Darwin.  Would love to see them live.
We could.

wolof7

Quote from: Hawkeye on Mar 18, 2011, 11:44 AM
Also love these guys...thanks Penny and Wolof!  Definitely get the Phosphorescent comparisons.  Smart Flesh is a great album.  Need to check out Charlie Darwin.  Would love to see them live.

All the album stuff is great, best to see them in an intimate venue theatre/church, rather than a rock club (if possible). They do amazing stuff audience participation-wise using cellphones during "this goddam house." They also cover a lot of old gospel tunes, and The Band tunes (e.g. Ain't No More Cane, Evangeline). Their own non-album tracks are great too, I always look forward to these bc I don't hear them as frequently:
Check out these covers!  (sorry for goin all youtube crazy but they are worth the watch):
The Low Anthem Live Dublin Don't Let Nobody Turn You Around
The Low Anthem Live Dublin Sally Where'd You Get Your Liqour
Check out Jocie on Cigureets and Whusky...Crazy!
Low Anthem - Home I'll Never Be/Cigarettes, Whiskey & Wild, Wild Women (Moseley Folk Festival 2010)

bold992006

I have a 20 song compilation of all the covers they do that is great...The Band, Lucinda Williams and a bunch of other stuff.

wolof7

Here's a nice cover of Wilco's 'a Shot in the Arm' from the AV undercover series. Bold youll have to add this to your comp.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-low-anthem-covers-wilco,53046/

SaraBananaBear

How the frick did I miss this thread? Found them by accident when Spotifying Fleet Foxes (rough trade counter culture  2008 compilation), and OH MY GOD! His voice is just beautiful! ♥ And Mogis mixed Smart Flesh? I feel like all my favorite music connects somehow, crazy!  :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the tips and videos and stuff, woop woop! :D
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

bold992006

There is a really great scene happening in Providence right now with these guys...Deer Tick.  Also check out Joe Fletcher & the Wrong Reasons and Brown Bird.  Two great bands that often play with Low Anthem and Deer Tick..and sit in with them.  Can't wait for the Newport Folk Fest this year.

chaqueta sucia

I adore The Low Anthem, one of my favorite bands.  I really love their newest The Smart Flesh.  It is such a great listen start to finish.

wolof7

They really do great covers....also check out last month's wilco cover (see 3 posts ago)
MERMAID PARADE!!!!
The Low Anthem ยป Phosphorescent

kotchishm

I was just lucky enough to get a split vinyl with Low Anthem and Iron and Wine of their Daytrotter Sessions.  I can't wait for it to arrive.  Only like 1000 were made with 600 being sold online.  So 400 are floating around record shops.
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf