Main Menu

Movin' Away

Started by Nikkogino, May 17, 2011, 06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikkogino

Wow, this song is pretty powerful....very sad.  I would venture to say that this song is up there with Dondante in terms of emotion.  Anyone else a fan of this song....it is haunting.   :'(

I am going to say that this is my favorite song on the album so far.

Movin' Away
Moving away, crazy destiny (days to leave?)
I'd always be an alarmist
Who'd jump at a chance
Anything for romance
I hope I'll always be what you want

Moving away
Those I'll miss
Those I won't
But I hope your heart will beat where my home is

A new life to create
A new life to create

Don't know quite why
But I was feeling unsatisfied
I had to get out now
Trying to find it

Possessed by your love
Under the influence
And though there's a new life (line or mine)
I won't forget the one I left behind

A new life to create
A new life to create
A new little life   

halesdd

Quote from: Nikkogino on May 17, 2011, 06:50 AM
Wow, this song is pretty powerful....very sad.  I would venture to say that this song is up there with Dondante in terms of emotion.  Anyone else a fan of this song....it is haunting.   :'(

Movin' Away
Moving away, crazy destiny (days to leave?)
I'd always be an alarmist
Who'd jump at a chance
Anything for romance
I hope I'll always be what you want

Moving away
Those I'll miss
Those I won't
But I hope your heart will beat where my home is

A new life to create
A new life to create

Don't know quite why
But I was feeling unsatisfied
I had to get out now
Trying to find it

Possessed by your love
Under the influence
And though there's a new life (line or mine)
I won't forget the one I left behind

A new life to create
A new life to create
A new little life

Nothing could replace "Dondante" for me.  That is one of the deepest songs I have ever heard.  MMJ has someother powerful album closers such as "Strangulation" and "I Think I'm Going to Hell".  With that being said, I believe each closer evokes a different level of deep meaning then the other and so they are hard to compare it to each other.  I absolutely love "Movin Away".  I have heard some say it's a weak closer and I would have to disagree.  Relocating is a very big deal in a persons life and the way Jim James pours his emotions into that song is amazing. 

Quote from: Nikkogino on May 17, 2011, 06:50 AM

I'd have to say it's right on up there for me too.  It's always hard to pick a favorite, especially when I haven't seen any of their new songs performed live (except Wonderful).  Be interesting to see this played out live.
And all that ever mattered will some day turn back to batter, like a joke.

BigHerm

Quote from: halesdd... especially when I haven't seen any of their new songs performed live (except Wonderful)...
http://www.vh1.com/video/misc/640020/circuital-vh1-storytellers.jhtml
New My Morning Jacket song Circuital
:thumbsup:

halesdd

Quote from: BigHerm on May 17, 2011, 12:22 PM
Quote from: halesdd... especially when I haven't seen any of their new songs performed live (except Wonderful)...
http://www.vh1.com/video/misc/640020/circuital-vh1-storytellers.jhtml
New My Morning Jacket song Circuital
:thumbsup:

I can't wait to see the whole story tellers episode on June 3rd.  I love Dondante and I know they jam that song out.  Going to be a good year ahead for some MMJ.

halesdd

Random thought but "Movin' Away" reminds me of Pearl Jam's "Parting Ways".

vwxg14a

I agree with all the above. 

It is the one song that I keep going back to. 

After the first couple of listens, I was trying to place why do I like this song more than the others (I exclude, Circuital, Black Metal, Wonderful and Victory Dance, since these are all fantastic and pre-released to the masses), then it hit me, it reminded me of Neil Young's Philadelphia. 

I just listened again, and right at the end when Bo brings it home, I got chills.  I would love them to end a concert with it and each member leaving one by one with Bo just tinkling away.

Of course, it's no Dondante (nothing can be), but it is an appropriate way to end a record.  I can't wait to see it on Storytellers.
Pops, Langerado, Lollapalooza, RCMH, Miami Beach, MSG, St Aug, T5.

Nikkogino

Is it confirmed that it will be on Storytellers? 
I'm so excited for Storytellers, although I'm bummed that it is only an hour long.  Do they ever release longer versions for DVD for Storytellers?

Dillsnufus

yea i saw an article talking about it. i wish i remembered which one......
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

chaqueta sucia

By far my favorite song on the album.

Jellyfish

Quote from: chaqueta sucia on May 26, 2011, 08:17 AM
By far my favorite song on the album.
This.... and a great ending to the album.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

Nicholas Yames

Upon listening tonight (this morning?) I have to agree that this song is incredibly emotional.

This song especially touches me, especially once reading over the lyrics posted above. I just graduated high school and from Buffalo I will be attending Santa Clara University in California. In a lot of ways Im going there to get away from some things that haunt me and that I will never get over in my hometown. Im leaving to try to start over and create a new life. However, I have a girlfriend who I very deeply love who will not (obviously) be going with me, and Jim singing about these things reminds me why MMJ is my favorite band on this earth. I know this song isn't written for my life, everyone relates differently, this is just how I relate. I love this song. And this band. And this album. Peace. Enjoy release day.
and if all else fails, i'll come running back, wonderin where you went
with my heart.

halesdd

Absolutely loved this song live at the Louisville Palace.  Was damn near perfection.

Brother Beck

As someone who didn't really connect with this song on the album at all, I have to say that it was absolutely amazing when they played it during the Unstaged Concert Tuesday night.  Just brimming over with passion and emotion – you could just see it on Jim's face as the words poured out of his soul in what was definitely one of the vocal highlights of the night.     

halesdd

Quote from: Brother Beck on Jun 04, 2011, 01:21 PM
As someone who didn't really connect with this song on the album at all, I have to say that it was absolutely amazing when they played it during the Unstaged Concert Tuesday night.  Just brimming over with passion and emotion – you could just see it on Jim's face as the words poured out of his soul in what was definitely one of the vocal highlights of the night.   

My thoughts exactly.  Jim was pouring his very soul into that song.  The crisp sound of his voice was priceless.  Definitely a standout moment for that show for me.

blucas

Agree that it is one of MMJ's most powerful moments.  Jim sounds so honest and vulnerable and it is up there with his best vocals IMO.  In this case, reverb would have detracted from the raw emotion. 
soft and warm all the time make you want it over and over

CodyT3212

At first I hated this song. I found it hard to listen to, boring and lazily sung. It's amazing how opposite I feel now. Now I find it comforting, emotionally satisfying and beautifully and meaningfully vocalized.

halesdd

Just saw movin away on VH1 Storyteller full edition. Simply amazing!! Love that song...

jaye

Quote from: halesdd on Jun 17, 2011, 11:04 PM
Just saw movin away on VH1 Storyteller full edition. Simply amazing!! Love that song...

where are you seeing this??  I'm dying to see this .

halesdd

Quote from: jaye on Jun 17, 2011, 11:20 PM
Quote from: halesdd on Jun 17, 2011, 11:04 PM

where are you seeing this??  I'm dying to see this .

I saw they were running it on a channel called Palladia on insight here in Bowling Green. There is a link someone posted on the VH1 Storyteller forum.

Tracy 2112

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.