Ben Harpers new album

Started by rincon, May 20, 2011, 01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaimoe

Quote from: capt. scotty on May 26, 2011, 03:39 PM
Quote from: Jaimoe on May 26, 2011, 02:50 PM
I'm teetering on the brink of bailing on MMJ for good if the new album isn't at least above satisfactory (I've heard two tracks; I liked the title song). EU was a failure with a few good moments. I don't know if I can take 2 or more albums in a row of mediocrity. Ben put out a few great early albums, then started to stink out the joint. I don't care about him anymore; I've moved on (I did the same with Phish). I hope MMJ are different, but nothing off EU has continuted to grab my attention, which is truly sad.

Oh, come on now. I'll admit when an artist I like releases a shit album (see Lifeline, John Butler Trio's latest April Uprising (also a shame that he's gotten away from the slide guitar),or Phish's last 3), but Diamonds on the Inside, Both Sides of the Gun, the album with Blind Boys of Alabama, and this new one are 75% solid. I understand they dont stand up to his first 4, but who outside of like Bob Dylan, The Beatles, or the Stones are releasing their best album on their 10th album or over 15 years after their debut??? I dont see how you can have standards like not liking a band anymore if they release a few bad albums and still like more than a handful of bands.

Because he never reached a level of consistent greatness over a long period of time a la The White Stripes. He flamed out pretty fast. His work with the Blind Boys was a collaborative. I hope he has more greatness in him.

Jaimoe

Quote from: rincon on May 26, 2011, 03:01 PM
I'm teetering on the brink of bailing on MMJ for good if the new album isn't at least above satisfactory (I've heard two tracks; I liked the title song). EU was a failure with a few good moments. I don't know if I can take 2 or more albums in a row of mediocrity. Ben put out a few great early albums, then started to stink out the joint. I don't care about him anymore; I've moved on (I did the same with Phish). I hope MMJ are different, but nothing off EU has continuted to grab my attention, which is truly sad.
Based on this post, I would not get my hopes up. The best thing about the new album is it is Jim singing, and that makes it good. I personally don't see it as any better than EU, which I like.

MOF restored some of my faith. I'll keep an open mind.

beatnikdaddio

EU was a failure with a few good moments. I don't know if I can take 2 or more albums in a row of mediocrity. I hope MMJ are different, but nothing off EU has continuted to grab my attention, which is truly sad.

i loved evil urges from the first listen, so it baffles me to often read that the album is considered a 'failure' by some fans... but, then again, i do know some people who hated Z!? it's hard to believe they're hearing the same albums i am, but music is so subjective.

but if you strongly disliked evil urges, i dont see you liking circuital.

Jaimoe

Quote from: beatnikdaddio on May 26, 2011, 04:53 PM
EU was a failure with a few good moments. I don't know if I can take 2 or more albums in a row of mediocrity. I hope MMJ are different, but nothing off EU has continuted to grab my attention, which is truly sad.

i loved evil urges from the first listen, so it baffles me to often read that the album is considered a 'failure' by some fans... but, then again, i do know some people who hated Z!? it's hard to believe they're hearing the same albums i am, but music is so subjective.

I respect experiments, even ones that don't work such as EU. I don't strongly dislike EU, but most of the songs don't stack up against older material, especially live. 

capt. scotty

Quote from: Jaimoe on May 26, 2011, 04:33 PM

Oh, come on now. I'll admit when an artist I like releases a shit album (see Lifeline, John Butler Trio's latest April Uprising (also a shame that he's gotten away from the slide guitar),or Phish's last 3), but Diamonds on the Inside, Both Sides of the Gun, the album with Blind Boys of Alabama, and this new one are 75% solid. I understand they dont stand up to his first 4, but who outside of like Bob Dylan, The Beatles, or the Stones are releasing their best album on their 10th album or over 15 years after their debut??? I dont see how you can have standards like not liking a band anymore if they release a few bad albums and still like more than a handful of bands.

Because he never reached a level of consistent greatness over a long period of time a la The White Stripes. He flamed out pretty fast. His work with the Blind Boys was a collaborative. I hope he has more greatness in him.

I see what youre saying, but Im not sure Id even put the Stripes on that high a pedestal as much as I love them. Half their albums have at least a few songs I dont care for. Not to mention, Pleasure & Pain->Burn To Shine was a 7.5 year period, The White Stripes->Icky Thump was 8 years. But thats neither here nor there. I understand the Blind Boys album was collaborative, but I dont find that album to be any better than Both Sides of the Gun or the new one. 

Anyway, here's a couple cuts off the new one for you to get a little listen. I also dont think it was mentioned in this thread, but I hear more emotion and soul in the vocals than recently probably thanks to many of these songs having some sort of relation to his recent divorce with Laura Dern

Ben Harper - Dirty Little Lover

Ben Harper - I Will Not Be Broken
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

Quote from: Jaimoe on May 26, 2011, 05:13 PM
Quote from: beatnikdaddio on May 26, 2011, 04:53 PM

I respect experiments, even ones that don't work such as EU. I don't strongly dislike EU, but most of the songs don't stack up against older material, especially live.

I gotta disagree with rincon and beatnik on this one, especially if you liked MOF (despite few similarities). IMO, Circuital is significantly closer to being great like Z than mediocre like EU. Now Im not saying its Z, as no matter how good of an album they release here on out, I dont think it can compete with AD, ISM, or Z because of what landmarks those albums are in the band's career (plus theyre all fantastic). To put it in other words, in a Post-Z Era, I think Circuital could end up being #1 contender for awhile.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Jaimoe

Quote from: capt. scotty on May 26, 2011, 05:52 PM

I see what youre saying, but Im not sure Id even put the Stripes on that high a pedestal as much as I love them. Half their albums have at least a few songs I dont care for. Not to mention, Pleasure & Pain->Burn To Shine was a 7.5 year period, The White Stripes->Icky Thump was 8 years. But thats neither here nor there. I understand the Blind Boys album was collaborative, but I dont find that album to be any better than Both Sides of the Gun or the new one. 

Anyway, here's a couple cuts off the new one for you to get a little listen. I also dont think it was mentioned in this thread, but I hear more emotion and soul in the vocals than recently probably thanks to many of these songs having some sort of relation to his recent divorce with Laura Dern

Pretty good stuff. Things are looking up.

With regards to The White Stripes, I was mainly pointing out that they never had a creative drop off. All their albums are great (even experimental Get Behind Me Satan) while remaining relevant and they were arguably at or near the top of their game during the Icky Thump swansong. As for not liking songs, I dislike songs from many great albums. Heck, I don't like classic Who tunes "Long Live Rock" and "Squeeze Box" - and they are my favourite band. Even ISM drags, but that's what makes albums great: sum of all the parts.

rincon

Quote from: capt. scotty on May 26, 2011, 05:52 PM

24 posts into the thread, and someone actually addressed what it is supposed to be about.

capt. scotty

Quote from: rincon on May 26, 2011, 06:07 PM
24 posts into the thread, and someone actually addressed what it is supposed to be about.

No problem my man :thumbsup:

I had wanted to do that sooner but Ben Harper & the IC's were my favorite band before MMJ, and although Ive repeatedly said his 90's music trumps the last decade for me, he's never fallen out of favor to me has has still consistently made albums I like (sans Lifeline). So with all the people ripping on him - when they havent even heard the new album - while he's still been putting out good music IMO - bothered me (clearly  ;D).

I think it also took me longer because I wanted to copy and paste my iTunes review of it (all the people giving it 1-2 stars there also pissed me off, 1st itunes review from me!), but for whatever reason you cant, so hear it is...I still think its pretty fair after listening to it more than 10 times...

Track order makes Give Til Its Gone sound "Gone" before it can "Give"
"At first impression looking at the 20 or so reviews posted so far, it makes me think of 2 things. One, I cant give Ben Harper 5 stars until he releases an album as good as 1 of his first 4. Secondly, for those of you giving this album less than 3 stars, you should come to the reality like I did nearly a decade ago that he is simply is not going to release another Fight For Your Mind. You need to love that album for the greatness that it is, but dont expect a Ben Harper in his 40's to write the same album he did in his mid-20's.

The negative reviews make me think some people haven't listened to this album enough or gave up on it too soon. In my opinion, 3 of the first 4 tracks are the weakest of the album, with I Will Not Be Broken being the only saving grace early on (and a song that at times reminds me of Roses From My Friends and Alone, which is a good thing). To me, it feels like Don't Give Up On Me Now was the opener because of the title or message, but it really doesn't suit the album there. Rock N Roll Is Free borders on pop-rock a la My Morning Jacket's Im Amazed, but its hard to really hate the latter and the former has grown on me as a result (plus Ben wrote it after opening for Neil Young and getting a thought from Keep On Rockin In The Free World). The beginning of the album left a bad taste in my mouth at first, but once I realized how good the 2nd half was it bothered me much less. From Clearly Severely (track 5) on, Give Til Its Gone really flows perfectly and feels like Im listening to the musician that grabbed me from first listen many years ago. Spilling Faith > Get There From Here is a great psychedelic segue we haven't heard from Ben in awhile, if not ever. Pray That Our Love Sees The Dawn is a classic slow BH ballad with a sped up rhythm section. For me, the highlight of the album are the closers, Dirty Little Lover > Do It For You, Do It For Us. On these two, Ben not only sounds most energized but also arguably most sincere.

People calling this Ben Harper's worst album must not have heard Lifeline. That album is easily his worst, and really worried me about where this great artist was heading. I think he might have seen the same warning signs, and thats why we got the Relentless7 album. While some R7 influences can be heard on Give Til Its Gone (not surprising, since they are still backing him and not the Innocent Criminals), this album is undeniably Ben Harper, and I dont see how any Ben fan won't welcome this addition."

rincon

I am a very casual fan of his, really know little about him. I have rhapsody linked to my mp3 player, so I can listen to just about anything. I will download his early stuff, because I don't think I have tried it yet.

capt. scotty

Quote from: rincon on May 26, 2011, 07:16 PM
I am a very casual fan of his, really know little about him. I have rhapsody linked to my mp3 player, so I can listen to just about anything. I will download his early stuff, because I don't think I have tried it yet.

If I were in your position (envious), Id start with Burn To Shine and then backtrack. Meaning, start with Burn To Shine, give it time to sink in, go to Will To Live next..let it marinate....then go to Fight For Your Mind, and then Welcome To The Cruel World.

You are in for a treat, but dont go album to album too fast  :)

rincon

I bought Will to Live several years ago. I actually like the new one better.

jordan

Like Capt. Scotty, Ben and the ICs were my favorite band prior to MMJ.  I have been fading on his music over the past decade.  However, I still feel he is an awfully talented musician and songwriter and probably one of the greatest of this generation.  Ben has never fully gotten the recognition he deserves.  Ben is gonna be an artist that makes music for years to come.  He's the Neil Young of this generation.  Ben may have gone through a dip in the greatness of his music, but Ben will be around for a long time and will make more outstanding records.  I haven't bought the new one yet but I've listened to a couple that were free downloads from Ben's website and I can tell the soul is coming back in his music as mentioned by someone above, maybe it was Scotty. 

UPDATE: Buying new album right now from amazon, only $5.99.

capt. scotty

Man, reading back in this thread I had thought it felt like he ditched the Innocent Criminals because he needed to reinvent himself, and while I really liked the Relentless 7 album and Give Til Its Gone, I was not expecting this!! Ive been wishing since I started listening to him in the 10th grade that he would release an album that was entirely reggae or blues as he sounds so great in those genres, but I never thought it would happen, especially where the music was at 5 years ago.

Get Up! is a masterpiece, not just a blues masterpiece. Not a song I dont like on it. Ive listened to it about a half dozen times now and over half the album is contending for my favorite song. Charlie Musselwhite sounds great. Without a doubt I already think this is Ben Harper's best album in over 15 years. Its only January and Id be shocked if this isnt my album of the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YndfhwNMniI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc17h6z6d64

Penny Lane

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jan 30, 2013, 02:05 PM
Man, reading back in this thread I had thought it felt like he ditched the Innocent Criminals because he needed to reinvent himself, and while I really liked the Relentless 7 album and Give Til Its Gone, I was not expecting this!! Ive been wishing since I started listening to him in the 10th grade that he would release an album that was entirely reggae or blues as he sounds so great in those genres, but I never thought it would happen, especially where the music was at 5 years ago.

Get Up! is a masterpiece, not just a blues masterpiece. Not a song I dont like on it. Ive listened to it about a half dozen times now and over half the album is contending for my favorite song. Charlie Musselwhite sounds great. Without a doubt I already think this is Ben Harper's best album in over 15 years. Its only January and Id be shocked if this isnt my album of the year.

very excited about this, too!
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Jeff Murray

I've been waiting to hear this album as well.  Really like it when Ben gets into the blues groove, so I'm expecting great things with this collaboration.  I read where they worked together over 5 years (?) ago on a song for a John Lee Hooker album and he said they need to work together as they just fit perfect.  Hopefully Charlie joins him on a tour of this album and they dig into some other blues.
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

capt. scotty

Quote from: Jeff Murray on Jan 30, 2013, 03:05 PM
I've been waiting to hear this album as well.  Really like it when Ben gets into the blues groove, so I'm expecting great things with this collaboration.  I read where they worked together over 5 years (?) ago on a song for a John Lee Hooker album and he said they need to work together as they just fit perfect.  Hopefully Charlie joins him on a tour of this album and they dig into some other blues.

I read that too and never knew about it, I think it was actually over a decade ago IIRC, but looking now I can find no song or JLH tribute album with Ben Harper on it on Amazon, iTunes, or Spotify - sorta weird. However, their was a deluxe edition of Both Sides of the Gun that I got and on a bonus CD it had Why Must You Always Dress In Black (which was actually released on the Relentless 7 album) and Gather Round The Stone versions featuring Musselwhite. Also, when I saw Ben Harper on that albums tour in 2005 in DC Musselwhite came out and played those songs as well as Homeless Child with the band. Thats actually by far my favorite Ben Harper show that Ive been to out of around 8 or shows, not particularly because of that but it didnt hurt.

They actually played in NYC last night and have 4 US dates announced, but Im really hoping they do an actual tour. I think on his site or somewhere else it said to expect more dates, but I already talked to a friend in Memphis about going to New Orleans Jazz Fest because I dont want to miss them playing this album, and Im guessing a lot of other stuff including blues covers.

capt. scotty

They announced 3 more shows in May - DC, NYC, and Boston...Gots me a ticket to DC! So psyched, May feels so far away though hah.

It was weird, I guess when I first set up an account at BH.net in like 2003 or 2004, I used my Penn State email, which you only can access as a student and for 6 months after graduation. Coincidentally Im still in the 6 month period (for the 2nd time) and have only  been checking my email because of an incorrect grade on my transcript from last semester. I have been getting emails from Ben's people about the new album and such, then got an email last night saying there would be a pre-sale for these shows this morning. Bam, scored a ticket today! After seeing so many complaints from people about Roll Call - which fans have to pay for - that made my day to score a pre-sale ticket, hassle free, for no extra charge!  :bath:

Mr. White

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jan 30, 2013, 02:05 PM

Thanks for posting about a new Ben Harper album! I don't get on his Interweb site much or read up on new releases these days, so I was glad to find out this was out there. (I try to get everything he puts out. I love all of his music.) Your praise for Get Up! got my hopes up for it to be a killer album. I got it 2 days ago, and I believe your impressions of it are correct. It may very well be "a masterpiece". I only wish it were a song or 3 longer.

I have only seen him once and may look into catching a show on this tour. A friend I turned on to Ben Harper thinks she is in love with him, and she tries to go to at least 4 or 5 shows each tour.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Penny Lane

Love this new album. Have to miss him this go round again (saving my pennies for JJ shows)..love the guitar..lots of it..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill