New Jim James cover of Bob Marley!

Started by CHIMMJFAN, Dec 11, 2013, 06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHIMMJFAN

So I ran across a brand new Jim James cover song from Bob Marley, "Turn Your Lights Down Low", posted on Pitchfork's website (audio can be heard on their website as well). I think this one will put everyone in the mood! lol

From Pitchfork's website:

A reminder that Valentine's Day is just about two months down the road: On February 4, Hear Music/Concord Music Group will release the compilation Sweetheart 2014, featuring a bunch of big names covering older songs that tend toward the romantic. Highlights include Vampire Weekend doing Andrea Bocelli, Fiona Apple and her sister Maude Maggart doing Anton Karas, Phosphorescent doing Bob Dylan, Beck doing John Lennon, and a bunch more.

The physical version of the album will be sold only at Starbucks. It will also be available digitally through all outlets. It's the fifth in a series of Valentine's Day covers albums that Starbucks has sold.

Sweetheart 2014:

01 Jim James: "Turn Your Lights Down Low" (Bob Marley cover)
02 Vampire Weekend: "Con Te PartirĂ²" (Inspired by the Andrea Bocelli recording)
03 Beck: "Love" (John Lennon cover)
04 Phosphorescent: "Tomorrow Is A Long Time" (Bob Dylan cover)
05 The Head and the Heart: "Don't Forget Me" (Harry Nilsson cover)
06 Valerie June: "Happy or Lonesome" (the Carter Family cover)
07 Bahamas: "Always on My Mind" (Willie Nelson cover)
08 Thao: "If You Were Mine" (Ray Charles cover)
09 Ben Harper: "Fade Into You" (Mazzy Star cover)
10 Fiona Apple: "I'm In The Middle of a Riddle" (Anton Karas cover)
11 Brandi Carlile: "The Chain" (Fleetwood Mac cover)
12 Blake Mills: "I Hope" (Bobby Charles cover)
13 Sharon Jones: "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours" (Stevie Wonder cover)

CHIMMJFAN
"He got tired of walkin' a tightrope"

Fully

http://forum.mymorningjacket.com/index.php?topic=18207

I've bought previous Sweetheart compilations from Starbucks are been very pleased with them. I expect this one to be just as good.

Mr. White

In case people forgot about this, it was officially released today. After my work (school)  let out two hours early due to freezing rain coming our way here in Louisville, I made my way to the closest Starbucks to purchase the Sweetheart CD that features Jim's cover of "Turn Your Lights Down Low". I like the song a lot and was able to listen to the whole album on my slow ride home. (I went ahead and got the whole album because I'm a big Ben Harper fan, and he sings Mazzy Star's song, "Fade into You".) Plus, I was very surprised as to how much I enjoyed Beck's version of John Lennon's "Love". Other songs I liked on the album were The Head and The Heart's "Don't Forget Me" by Harry Nilsson and Brandi Carlile's "The Chain" by Fleetwood Mac. I'll bet some of the other songs will grow on me with more listens. So, go out and get this album, or at least download the single by Jim. It seems to be available on iTunes as a single download, as far as I can tell.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Willard1979

oistheone

GODDAMN, is this shit charcoal-filtered?! This is goin' down smoooooooooth. Would LOVE to hear this tossed into some setlists. Love that squeaky clean guitar tone JJ has goin'!

OFF TOPIC - Really hope this comp gets people checkin' out Bahamas. I've been heapin' praise on this guy for years and I really hope he catches on Stateside soon. This comp seems like a step in the right direction!

Gina

Looks like a trip to SB for me.  :thumbsup:

Fully

You can also buy it on iTunes, Gina.

Gina

Quote from: Fully on Feb 06, 2014, 02:47 AM
You can also buy it on iTunes, Gina.

Good to know - but being a SB fiend - just gives me another reason to head out for a venti hazelnut macchiato.  :wink:

parkervb

waaayy better than the last time Jim ventured down the path of Bob Marley.  I couldn't get down with the Waiting in Vain remix.
Don't you ever turn it off