Forum Album Club #1- Drivin N' Cryin / Fly Me Courageous

Started by sweatboard, Mar 08, 2012, 02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

There's Still Time.........

ManNamedTruth

might be late to the party, i'm thinking 9:30-10. I'll be ready to announce my album for next week tonight.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

ManNamedTruth

ManNamedTruth

You'd think Brian would at least show up to his own album discussion. Oh well.
So anyway, this album isn't doing much for me. They're like a really good bar band, I would totally pay a 5 dollar cover to see them down at the firehall. The vocalist really doesn't do anything for me.

ManNamedTruth

mjk and yim, i see you're on the forum, don't leave me hanging.

ManNamedTruth

I think they sound slightly like The Replacements at times, I'm not the biggest fan of them either, Bastards of Young is a great song.

ManNamedTruth

The end jam in Look What You've Done to your Brother is the best part of this whole album. Let's Go Dancing is a pretty good song, I would like this more if there was more of this.

Clarkwork

Great album. I have a signed copy from the band. Back in the day I saw them quite a bit live
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

mjk73

I just got to the point I could sit down for the night and I'm already nodding off. I haven't been able to listen as I was uber swamped at work. :-\

ManNamedTruth

the more wine I've drunken the better it sounds, so I'm more convinced now that they're an awesome bar band. An outdoor kegger party would really be the ultimate experience.

ManNamedTruth

So this was an OK album that i didn't hate, the last few songs were played fast and I enjoyed that. Let's Go Dancing was my favorite song, but nothing else sounded like that. Most of the album was background party music. That's not always a bad thing but a party album will never be a favorite album of mine. The album did get better towards the end.

sweatboard

Ha, I guess I did miss my own album.  I was around till about 9:10 and no one was here so I went to go listen to Dire Straits albums.  I was curious if people would go bar band with these guys.     

The production on the end of "For You" rivals anything ever recorded, backward guitar track, the drums, Amazing!!! 

Let's go dancing is one of the ultimate fireside accoustic jams of all time.

Fly Me .   Mother America Is Brandishing Her Weapons......

I think the Guitar tone and Riffs rival any album ever recorded......Back In Black, Exile On Main Street.  I just like Kevin's heart and message more than ac/dc

There's Still Time.........

wolof7

my internet was down last night, I will try and listen and post through the weekend.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

YimBlaylock

Sorry about not being here last night, my midterms have been this week so I've been super busy. Anyways...

Something about this album just doesn't work for me. Granted, I've only listened about two and a half times, but still, it doesn't strike me right. Via wikipedia, I saw that the band has somewhat of a connection with R.E.M. After I read that, it seemed like I could hear Peter Buck's influence on the guitar playing in the album (and anytime a guitar player sounds like Peter Buck, it's nothing but a positive). To me, it sounded a lot like what R.E.M. would sound like if they were just a little less, for lack of a more specific adjective, weird, and more of a straightforward rock band. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but something about the album just didn't strike me right. It could've been the production, maybe just needing more spins to get used to the singer's voice, or maybe it's just not a band I'm supposed to like.

All that being said, there were positives. It did pass my "album-y" test in that it got better with more listens. The guitars could be really, really good at times, while other times they were only really good. I'd be interested to hear what they sound like live, to see if they still had the same general sound or if the guitars and band-in-general had more of a raw sound to it, which would point to an album-production that just doesn't work for me.

For now, I'll give it about a 5.4/10 as far as it fits my personal tastes, but hopefully I'll continue to listen to it throughout the week and have to adjust that for a better score. Really glad this club is back.
It's all happening.