First Light = Channeling the Zep

Started by el_chode, May 28, 2011, 08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_chode

Does anyone get a distinct late-70s Zep feel from this song? Sort of like Physical Graffiti/Presence-era type playing?

Specifically, here's what I hear:

Plant, obviously famous for his falsetto and screaming, started to develop a more baritone timbre that he would hit on later albums. Jim's voice on this song seems to hit a similar, unfamiliar lower frequency that sounds like he got the willies during the recording

The syncopation of the drums and guitars during the musical breaks, such as around 1:36 on First Light where the drums are banging away in perfect time with the guitar riff. It just feels Zeppeliny to me, like about 3 1/2 mins into Achilles Last Stand or the intro to Royal Orleans or Wanton Song

The production over all, feels like Physical Graffiti. It's like the song was cut from the same cloth as The Rover or Night Flight

Maybe it's just me. I don't know.
I'm surrounded by assholes

woodnymph

Quote from: el_chode on May 28, 2011, 08:51 PM
Does anyone get a distinct late-70s Zep feel from this song? Sort of like Physical Graffiti/Presence-era type playing?

Plant, obviously famous for his falsetto and screaming, started to develop a more baritone timbre that he would hit on later albums. Jim's voice on this song seems to hit a similar, unfamiliar lower frequency that sounds like he got the willies during the recording

The syncopation of the drums and guitars during the musical breaks, such as around 1:36 on First Light where the drums are banging away in perfect time with the guitar riff. It just feels Zeppeliny to me, like about 3 1/2 mins into Achilles Last Stand or the intro to Royal Orleans or Wanton Song

The production over all, feels like Physical Graffiti. It's like the song was cut from the same cloth as The Rover or Night Flight

JESUS my first thought.... first thought was that I heard Physical Graffiti right from Victory Dance.

I'm listening again because I can't remember how to explain it.....

OH.. I remember one tidbit... 1:18 "ey there..."  reminds of In The Light *(At 3:00, when he's all "heyeee.. oooo.. did you eva believe that I could leave you.....")

I'll second ya on that, you're spot-on
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

el_chode

Quote from: woodnymph on May 28, 2011, 08:59 PM

JESUS my first thought.... first thought was that I heard Physical Graffiti right from Victory Dance.

OH.. I remember one tidbit... 1:18 "ey there..."  reminds of In The Light

While writing the above I was thinking "this whole thing does have a very Physical Graffiti Feel". You even have your eastern influenced song, your moody, sweaty epic rock songs, and your beautiful and moving emotional grooves going on.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

yeah I totally agree with you dudes, very zeppelin-o-fied.  definitely see the "In The Light" vibe.  I think the keys on victory dance remind me of No Quarter a little bit.  at least the first chord bo vamps on.  dare I say perhaps it's zeppelin mixed with a dash of the who?

woodnymph

Quote from: el_chode on May 28, 2011, 09:03 PM
Quote from: woodnymph on May 28, 2011, 08:59 PM

OH.. I remember one tidbit... 1:18 "ey there..."  reminds of In The Light

While writing the above I was thinking "this whole thing does have a very Physical Graffiti Feel". You even have your eastern influenced song, your moody, sweaty epic rock songs, and your beautiful and moving emotional grooves going on.
Perfectly put, my thoughts exactly.

Now I'm onto Achilles Last Stand nostalgia, listening to it again... the first time hearing it (actually hearing it..) was driving late at night down country roads, pretty toasted on some good green... and I had Presence in my cassette player and it was on Tea For One (which I was enjoying on the solo drive, seemed fitting)... then there was a long silence after it ended (before Auto-Reverse would kick in...) and during the silence, there was a single flash in the sky.  Then nothing.... and I was just about to chalk it up as a hallucination, when auto-reverse kicked in, and Achilles Last Stand churned itself out.  Within seconds of the song starting, the sky started flashing noticeably, and it was either heat lightning or a distant storm..... but the flashing sky and the herb and the song....and the.........whewww now where's that cassette.....

woodnymph

PS sorry to run with that so far hahah seeing that you guys hear what I was hearing got me all riled up...  I can definitely catch the No Quarter in there too

Nice

Jackets N Pones

Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on May 28, 2011, 09:22 PM
yeah I totally agree with you dudes, very zeppelin-o-fied.  definitely see the "In The Light" vibe.  I think the keys on victory dance remind me of No Quarter a little bit.  at least the first chord bo vamps on.  dare I say perhaps it's zeppelin mixed with a dash of the who?

I agree Sticky Icky. Upon first listen of Victory Dance (after overcoming the goosebumps), I definitely hear The Who's "Love Reign O'er Me." 1:18 on Victory Dance "Hey there..." and 1:10 on the link below "Only love..."  I know several reviews have compared Jim James' voice on some tracks to Roger Daltrey, and I am just curious if you guys think this is one of them. Loving "Circuitale" so far!

The Who - Love reign over me
Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Jim does have a similar voice for sure Pones.  at least sometimes haha.  first light has something going for it that I can't place yet.  when patrick comes in with the shaker and it kicks up a notch.  that part reminds me of something but I can not for the life of me figure out what it is.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

maybe a rolling stones-ish vibe mixed in there also.  musically, not vocally.