Main Menu

Midlake

Started by he.who.forgets, Sep 14, 2013, 01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

he.who.forgets

So Pearl Jam's bassist Jeff Ament mentioned these guys and hinted they may be supporting some of their upcoming tour and I was really impressed upon my first listen and excited to explore more. I've never heard of these dudes, can someone catch me up?
http://youtu.be/KVi1EOtWECo

wolof7

Midlake is an anomolous group from Denton, TX which never seemed to find their place. I really liked their breakout album, the Trials of Van Occupanther, especially the song "roscoe". But then it took them like 4 yrs to come out with another album and I haven't followed since.

According to their wikipedia page it says they have a new album Antiphon out this past August but that the frontman quit. Apparently they are on ATO now. Be interested to here the genesis with this band.

I guess I would say they circle the "frontier rock" (as Chris Hardwick puts it) category, coming up with bands like Fleet Foxes, Band of Horses and Grizzly Bear. Either way they have a definitive 60s psychedelic/folk rock bent which can always be hit or miss.

Still an interesting choice of opener for Pearl Jam. I know nothing of Midlake live.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

he.who.forgets

Good stuff, thanks Wolof :thumbsup:

Ghosts_on_TV

Van Occupanther is awesome, but that's all I know.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Crispy

Why didn't somebody tell me that Midlake is going to open for Pearl Jam in OKC?! And that they have a new record coming out in November?!! There's no way I'm going to that PJ show, but here's hoping Midlake tours on their own for the new album and I finally get to see them.

Van Occupanther is brilliant, their other records not so much, but the new track sounds pretty dang good, you can get it from their website. They've got to be a different animal now with Tim Smith out of the group, though.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

MarkW

Midlake are great live - they captured the album sound perfectly when I saw them.  I have three of their albums, all of which I like.  Their debut, Bamnan and Silvercork is less polished than the follow-up, The Trials of Van Occupanther, which is probably their best overall.  The third album, The Courage of Others, is also very strong.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Come Closer

Thoughts on the new album? I'm enjoying it and they've never really grabbed me in the past.

capt. scotty

Quote from: Osistheones on Nov 05, 2013, 10:14 PM
Thoughts on the new album? I'm enjoying it and they've never really grabbed me in the past.

I never listened to them much before, but gave the new one a listen today, liked it. Seemed more psychedelic/spacy compared to previous stuff, which I liked.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

iLikeBeer

Seeing these guys a week from today when they open for BOH in C'bus!  Pretty excited to see them live...  :beer: