Reverbless Jim James?

Started by billybuckner, May 29, 2011, 07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billybuckner

Hear me out. MMJ is in my top 5 of favorite bands to collect, see live, and support. With that being said, I am again utterly disappointed with the latest album "Circuital". When I unwrapped the disc and placed it in my car stereo hours ago I was giddy hearing the guys again, then after the first track it all came crashing down for me. (Now I am fully expecting the rock band message board cliche, where all fans attack my opinion and tell me where to go, etc. etc.) but just like EVIL URGES i feel the band has a cheesy pop sound to them. More than anything I think James' voice sounds almost corny. My only thoughts are that he uses less if any at all reverb now days. I know I'm going to be message board crucified for this but damn, it just isn't the same MMJ I fell in love with. Can someone confirm that Jim James uses way less reverb these days and that I apparently don't have the taste for his raw voice? Or is this not the case? Any thoughts on this matter will be greatly appreciated as it pains me to diss the record, but ever since Rolling Stone tabbed these guys "America's Radiohead" I've become less attractive to their sound.

e_wind

good thing you joined the board to try and bring us down :thumbsup:
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

johnnYYac

Sorry it didn't do it for you, but give it a number of listens, preferably w/headphones, and see what happens. 

Like Stan from American Dad, I'd pay $900 to hear Jim James gargle (not really), but I needed a few listens to appreciate what Circuital is.

Free your mind in terms of what Circuital ISN'T.  That is the key to salvation.

And if that doesn't work, I bet you'll still love the live show. 

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Ruckus

Quote from: billybuckner on May 29, 2011, 07:54 PM
Hear me out. MMJ is in my top 5 of favorite bands to collect, see live, and support. With that being said, I am again utterly disappointed with the latest album "Circuital". When I unwrapped the disc and placed it in my car stereo hours ago I was giddy hearing the guys again, then after the first track it all came crashing down for me. (Now I am fully expecting the rock band message board cliche, where all fans attack my opinion and tell me where to go, etc. etc.) but just like EVIL URGES i feel the band has a cheesy pop sound to them. More than anything I think James' voice sounds almost corny. My only thoughts are that he uses less if any at all reverb now days. I know I'm going to be message board crucified for this but damn, it just isn't the same MMJ I fell in love with. Can someone confirm that Jim James uses way less reverb these days and that I apparently don't have the taste for his raw voice? Or is this not the case? Any thoughts on this matter will be greatly appreciated as it pains me to diss the record, but ever since Rolling Stone tabbed these guys "America's Radiohead" I've become less attractive to their sound.
It's all good man.  Even the best bands let a ball go through their legs once in a while.  I for one completely agree with you.  There are some standout songs on the album such as Victory Dance, Circuital, Slow Slow Tune and Wonderful.  That said, it is hard to get rid my mind of the cheesy pop sound and over enunciated syllables (quoting an anonymous forum member) of Jim's reverbless vocals.  No offense taken and I feel bad you have to preface your comments as such.  I will always love this band and I feel this is a stronger album than EU, but I yearn for the airy vocals that drew me to this band.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

The DARK

It's fair to say that you don't like his voice without reverb...  I believe he uses none at all on this record, so if it's not your thing, it's fair.

Keep giving this one a listen, though. It grows pretty quickly on you, even if it never ends up being your favorite record.

Also, stick around! We don't bite. There's plenty to discuss about the live shows and older albums, if you so please.  :)
In another time, in another place, in another face

billybuckner

Wow! This is the best "ROCK BAND MESSAGE BOARD" response I've ever received. THANK YOU! I rarely post due to most regulars being a.) smart asses or b.) haters due to my lack of satisfaction. The few comments I've recieved have been respectful and helpfull. I only assumed the vocals lacked reverb but sounds as if I was confirmed. Anyways I enjoy the album's opener along with holdin on to black metal but aside from those two I'm not exactly moved, maybe it'll grow, I don't give up easily and usually my favorite albums took a bunch of listenings before becoming so. With that being said I think the bottom line is I am not a fan of a reverbless jim james.

Crispy

I agree with you wholeheartedly, bill - this is not the same band. If it was, I think a lot of us wouldn't still be here. If the band that MMJ is now isn't for you, that's cool. All I know is that they're still making records and playing music that I fucking LOVE.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

billybuckner

With all due respect CRISPY I'm not naive in thinking that the band should make "It still moves" all over again, everytime around. I don't know if that is your suggestion that I want the band to make the same record over and over ala Jack Johnson or Ac/Dc. That in itself is a whole other musical topic I find so intriguing-Bands that have changed for the better or worse. My favorite musical transformations that come to mind are Kings of Leon, The Black Keys, and possibly the Deftones. My least favorite transformations would easily be The Drive By Truckers (post Isbell) Radiohead (post Ok Computer) and Bright Eyes (post I'm Wide Awake It's Morning). While mentioning the bands above I couldn't help but notice my pigeon holed self. Just like Original Kings Of Leon fans (they dislike the new sound and direction) I too am in the same boat with MMJ. When this topic comes to mind I can't help but think of two of my favorite bands whom grow, explore new musical directions, and create fresh ideas yet never alienate their original fan or sound and that is The John Butler Trio and The Twilight Singers.

DaFunkyPrecedent

Quote from: Ruckus on May 29, 2011, 08:42 PM
It's all good man.  Even the best bands let a ball go through their legs once in a while.  I for one completely agree with you.  There are some standout songs on the album such as Victory Dance, Circuital, Slow Slow Tune and Wonderful.  That said, it is hard to get rid my mind of the cheesy pop sound and over enunciated syllables (quoting an anonymous forum member) of Jim's reverbless vocals.  No offense taken and I feel bad you have to preface your comments as such.  I will always love this band and I feel this is a stronger album than EU, but I yearn for the airy vocals that drew me to this band.

I would have expected better out of you Ruckus...
God damn those shaky knees.

The DARK

Hmm... I'd think that you'll find that a lot of us here couldn't stand the Kings of Leon transformation. What did you find great about it?

One of things I noticed about MMJ and the Black Keys is that it was that these new sounds were always in their musical DNA, whether or not it showed itself in early records. If you look through Jim's interviews, you'll see how eclectic his tastes really are; soul music, thai pop, psychedelia, funk, dance, 70's pop music, he listens to it all. With the band where it is today, they really have the chance to put all those influences into their music in ways that they never really had the opportunity to before, hence all the wild experiments you saw on Evil Urges. Same goes for the Keys; classic R&B and hip-hop was always the kind of thing they listened to, but without the stability and label support that they have now, they'd never be able to put those to tape.

Basically, if you want to know how a band will sound when they make it big, look what they listened to as kids. My tastes can be as eclectic as Jim's, so I'm excited to see everything they come up with.
In another time, in another place, in another face

Ruckus

Quote from: DaFunkyPrecedent on May 29, 2011, 10:06 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on May 29, 2011, 08:42 PM

I would have expected better out of you Ruckus...
I've been dubbed the "Universal Letdown"   Sawwy Funky! :-*
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

scosby2

the kings of leon have become the worst band ever made that once made really good music(bold statement i know but i believe it...and i loved those guys a few years ago

mgriff73

I'm pretty sure the 1st admendment still applies here.  With that being said, these are  some of the best and fair fans around.  Not your typical fanboys like most.  My opinion doesn't make a difference till after Tuesday when I here the songs live. :beer:

Tracy 2112

Quote from: billybuckner on May 29, 2011, 09:59 PM
My favorite musical transformations that come to mind are Kings of Leon...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the KOL transformation has been one of the worst ever, IMO   :-\

and not everyone will like everything ever released by everyone.

For me, my love for this band probably peaked after ISM, when they were playing smaller, sold out venues and everyone there was in the know; MMJ was a wonderful secret, no hipsters or glow sticks or arena shows. I am really happy I got to see them back then (a lot!), before you had to pay to join a fan club for a shot to be on the rail.

I still love them, but they're getting to be a pretty big band and the sound usually suffers when that happens. But, I ain't complainin'    :)
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

el_chode

There's a difference between a band going to where the fans are waiting for them (KOL) and where the fans come to the band (MMJ).

Musically, KOL went to where they knew the fans would be by trying to replicate the same sound over and over, which quickly got old with people who like music for more than 2:30 chunks between radio ads.

To me, if MMJ kept trying to replicate OBH to keep it in that vein, they'd never escape a skynyrd comparison. Forever southern fried. If they kept trying to replicate I'm Amazed, then they'd be on the road to KOL and infinite airplay at Kohls stores.

Instead, they get behind the wheel and start driving, and whether or not you get in depends whether you're willing to stop in bat country and if you don't mind Patrick admiring the shape of your skull. It'll be a weird ride, that's for sure. And it probably won't be the same each time.

It takes skill to make different sounds that are still identifiable with a certain feel. Few bands pull it off well. Ween comes to mind as a band that does it amazingly, while Wilco and Pearl Jam are bands that, while not by any stretch of the imagination are bad or sucky, found their sound, stuck with it, and suffered creatively in my book. They got their thing, and you know what you're gonna get each time. I know there are a lot of die hard fans of those bands, but lets face it: their latest album is a matter of "is it good?", not "what will it sound like?"

Both still play killer live shows. But none have the anticipation of a new album like MMJ has.
I'm surrounded by assholes

lucylew

Well said El Chode, well said.   I could not agree with you more.  And Pearl Jam is my favorite band.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: el_chode on May 30, 2011, 11:50 AM
It takes skill to make different sounds that are still identifiable with a certain feel. Few bands pull it off well. Ween comes to mind as a band that does it amazingly, while Wilco and Pearl Jam are bands that, while not by any stretch of the imagination are bad or sucky, found their sound, stuck with it, and suffered creatively in my book. They got their thing, and you know what you're gonna get each time.

Maybe Pearl Jam but not Wilco; A.M. (their first release) is nothing at all like A Ghost is Born (a span of 5 albums). In fact, you'd be hard pressed to say they were the same 2 bands (technically, they're not, minus Tweedy and Stirratt, sort of MMJ's JJ and TTT). Being There was the jumping off point and they took it up the next notch with studio experimentation with Summerteeth (thanks to Jay Bennett) and even more with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Some say the journey was from alt. country to alt. rock, but it's been a little deeper than that and lyrically Jeff Tweedy nails it.

Wilco is not a band that stuck with their original alt. country sound. Now, their last 2 relases feel stagnant, but that wasn't your point.

darkglow

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on May 30, 2011, 12:40 PM
Quote from: el_chode on May 30, 2011, 11:50 AM
It takes skill to make different sounds that are still identifiable with a certain feel. Few bands pull it off well. Ween comes to mind as a band that does it amazingly, while Wilco and Pearl Jam are bands that, while not by any stretch of the imagination are bad or sucky, found their sound, stuck with it, and suffered creatively in my book. They got their thing, and you know what you're gonna get each time.

Maybe Pearl Jam but not Wilco; A.M. (their first release) is nothing at all like A Ghost is Born (a span of 5 albums). In fact, you'd be hard pressed to say they were the same 2 bands (technically, they're not, minus Tweedy and Stirratt, sort of MMJ's JJ and TTT). Being There was the jumping off point and they took it up the next notch with studio experimentation with Summerteeth (thanks to Jay Bennett) and even more with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Some say the journey was from alt. country to alt. rock, but it's been a little deeper than that and lyrically Jeff Tweedy nails it.

Wilco is not a band that stuck with their original alt. country sound. Now, their last 2 relases feel stagnant, but that wasn't your point.

best response post i've ever seen on an online forum.. two people would never be able to talk so much to each other and be heard (read).... thanks tracy... glad to see hacksaw is in his cage

Tracy 2112

Quote from: darkglow on May 30, 2011, 12:53 PM
thanks tracy... glad to see hacksaw is in his cage

dg, I tried to be nice and sent you a PM to tell you I wasn't hacksaw, I guess that didn't suffice.

I'm not hacksaw, never was, never will be. I make enough people uncomfortable being myself; I don't need to troll with a fake name.

Good luck with whatever you're trying to accomplish.

Seeker

It definitely needs a chance to grow on me. It's cool when a band tries new directions IF they can pull it off. Too early for me to say yet. The only new song that I liked on first listen was Out of My System, and I wonder if it shouldn't be a single, with it's obvious Beach Boys FM radio friendly vibe. Like everyone else, I look forward to the live interpretations. It's definitely different though, just can't appreciate yet if it's different in a good way.

Agree that the last two PJ efforts are generally weaker.