Favorite Live Recording

Started by pawpaw, Jun 02, 2011, 05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buaawwww

Wow, too many to choose from.  But if I had to say what is on repeat for me right now...

- Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros - 11/15/2002 Acton Town Hall (Mick Jones came out for 2 songs, unbelievable show and quality)
- Pete Townshend - "Back To Bethel, Woodstock 1998" (if you can find it, pretty incredible)
- Bruce Springsteen & the E. Street Band - "Hammersmith Odeon '75"
- Motorhead - "Everything Louder Than Everything Else"
- Clutch - "Full Fathom Five, Audio Field Recordings"
- Led Zeppelin - "How The West Was Won"
- AC/DC - "Let There Be Rock: The Movie (Live in Paris)"

I mean I could go on, but I have been listening to these above most often lately.

rincon

Quote from: Shug on Jun 03, 2011, 01:20 PM
Quote from: Jaimoe on Jun 03, 2011, 01:03 PM

You can make that same argument about any band's live album(s) released at an early or mid career time frame. However, Live Dead is perhaps still the best Grateful Dead live LP, even without tunes from American Beauty and Working Man's Dead. Live at Leeds came out a year before Who's Next, but nobody thinks the album would have been better with "Won't Get Fooled Again" on it. The feel of Leeds would have been greatly altered and the Tommy stuff would have suffered. Heck, "Young Man Blues" may not have made the cut, and that would be a rock n roll tragedy.

Its really all opinion, of course.  There is at least one person, me ;) who thinks Live At Leeds and the Who's Isle of Wight DVD would've been better with more tunes from Who's Next and less from Tommy because I'm not a fan of Tommy and I think the Who peaked in terms of songwriting with Who's Next.  And I don't think Live Dead is the best Grateful Dead live record because I think the Dead were playing better material in 1972 than they were in 1969.  Yeah, all live albums from later in a band's career have more songs to possibly make the cut, but its a matter of whether someone thinks the band got better with time or if they peaked early.  Its all just a matter of where one thinks the peak came. Its not an argument I'm trying to win, its just an opinion.  I understand why people have different opinions than I do about what is the best period of a given band or what their best live albums were and I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else to share my opinion.  I'm also not trying to present myself as an expert whose opinion is fact. I just think its interesting to converse about these things.

BTW, I completely agree with you about the Allmans without Dickey.  Its nowhere near as good as it was with him.
Now you have entered MY TERRITORY. MMJ is the only band that ever knocked 1970 Who off their pedestal. Live at Leeds documented the apex of their sound. Made in early 70, in just over a year they would record a Who's Next concert, it is the second disc of the deluxe Who's next CD, that sounded like it was 10 years into the future.  That does not inherently make it better or worse, just vastly different.
     Mt own very personal opinion is that LAL and Okonosis stand alone as the greatest documented live ROCK and ROLL performances. Isle of Wight sounds too sloppy, and the movie edit is ridiculous. As a past poster on the Who boards, and those guys are way more homers to the Who than this board is to MMJ, Quadrophenia is the favorite album of over half the posters there. It also led to my Who epiphany on a rainy day in 1978 smokin weed and playing some board game I forgot.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: rincon on Jun 08, 2011, 10:31 PM
It also led to my Who epiphany on a rainy day in 1978 smokin weed and playing some board game I forgot.

you were playing Pente

(or was that me smoking weed, listening to Quadrophenia, playing Pente in 1978?   ;))
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

e_wind

shit, okonokos and the NYE 2006 soundboard for MMJ
theres a reallllyy awesome PJ bootleg from the early years (with the shoe incident)
nirvana unplugged is amazing, coming from someone who isnt a big nirvana fan

this thread makes me wanna get that paul simon recording.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

TEO

Deep Purple-Lazy-Made in Japan
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

Jaimoe

You can make that same argument about any band's live album(s) released at an early or mid career time frame. However, Live Dead is perhaps still the best Grateful Dead live LP, even without tunes from American Beauty and Working Man's Dead. Live at Leeds came out a year before Who's Next, but nobody thinks the album would have been better with "Won't Get Fooled Again" on it. The feel of Leeds would have been greatly altered and the Tommy stuff would have suffered. Heck, "Young Man Blues" may not have made the cut, and that would be a rock n roll tragedy.

Its really all opinion, of course.  There is at least one person, me ;) who thinks Live At Leeds and the Who's Isle of Wight DVD would've been better with more tunes from Who's Next and less from Tommy because I'm not a fan of Tommy and I think the Who peaked in terms of songwriting with Who's Next.  And I don't think Live Dead is the best Grateful Dead live record because I think the Dead were playing better material in 1972 than they were in 1969.  Yeah, all live albums from later in a band's career have more songs to possibly make the cut, but its a matter of whether someone thinks the band got better with time or if they peaked early.  Its all just a matter of where one thinks the peak came. Its not an argument I'm trying to win, its just an opinion.  I understand why people have different opinions than I do about what is the best period of a given band or what their best live albums were and I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else to share my opinion.  I'm also not trying to present myself as an expert whose opinion is fact. I just think its interesting to converse about these things.

BTW, I completely agree with you about the Allmans without Dickey.  Its nowhere near as good as it was with him.
Now you have entered MY TERRITORY. MMJ is the only band that ever knocked 1970 Who off their pedestal. Live at Leeds documented the apex of their sound. Made in early 70, in just over a year they would record a Who's Next concert, it is the second disc of the deluxe Who's next CD, that sounded like it was 10 years into the future.  That does not inherently make it better or worse, just vastly different.
     Mt own very personal opinion is that LAL and Okonosis stand alone as the greatest documented live ROCK and ROLL performances. Isle of Wight sounds too sloppy, and the movie edit is ridiculous. As a past poster on the Who boards, and those guys are way more homers to the Who than this board is to MMJ, Quadrophenia is the favorite album of over half the posters there. It also led to my Who epiphany on a rainy day in 1978 smokin weed and playing some board game I forgot.

Okonokos (amazing how many folks on the MMJ board spell it wrong) is a fine modern live document. Jim's voice isn't in top form though since he was sick. Still, a great concert album/movie. Regarding The Who, a lot of the material I've read by rock historians and fans over the decades allude to the band having far better nights than Live at Leeds. However, you'll have to find them on bootlegs. Heck, you can find great fucking clips of prime and better than Leeds stuff on YouTube. I agree with Wight being too sloppy (the festival was a mess to begin with; Hendrix's performance at the same gig was not good at all). But Wight is sonically heavier than Leeds and "Young Man Blues" is their best official one-off performance (I'm also partial to "A Quick One" from the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus). I do think MMJ will have a hard time ever surpassing Okonokos since the material they've put out since has been inferior.

rincon

Quote from: Jaimoe on Jun 09, 2011, 11:47 AM

Okonokos (amazing how many folks on the MMJ board spell it wrong) is a fine modern live document. Jim's voice isn't in top form though since he was sick. Still, a great concert album/movie. Regarding The Who, a lot of the material I've read by rock historians and fans over the decades allude to the band having far better nights than Live at Leeds. However, you'll have to find them on bootlegs. Heck, you can find great fucking clips of prime and better than Leeds stuff on YouTube. I agree with Wight being too sloppy (the festival was a mess to begin with; Hendrix's performance at the same gig was not good at all). But Wight is sonically heavier than Leeds and "Young Man Blues" is their best official one-off performance (I'm also partial to "A Quick One" from the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus). I do think MMJ will have a hard time ever surpassing Okonokos since the material they've put out since has been inferior.
A Quick One at Rolling Stones RRC is the only version I listen to. Tangelwood on Wolfgangs Vault is almost a video of LAL. Amazing Journey/Sparks is the best piece of video R&R I have ever seen.
The Who - Amazing Journey / Sparks - Tanglewood 1970 (HIFI STEREO AUDIO)
The real fun starts after 5 minutes. At about 6:55 is a pretty good example of an orgasm as interpreted via a 3 peice rock and roll band.(I know, but Roger don't count in this song). Can you imagine if Jason Swchartzman ever played Keith Moon in a movie? Both are drummers, and look like twins.

Jaimoe

Quote from: rincon on Jun 09, 2011, 05:39 PM
Quote from: Jaimoe on Jun 09, 2011, 11:47 AM

A Quick One at Rolling Stones RRC is the only version I listen to. Tangelwood on Wolfgangs Vault is almost a video of LAL. Amazing Journey/Sparks is the best piece of video R&R I have ever seen.
The Who - Amazing Journey / Sparks - Tanglewood 1970 (HIFI STEREO AUDIO)
The real fun starts after 5 minutes. At about 6:55 is a pretty good example of an orgasm as interpreted via a 3 peice rock and roll band.(I know, but Roger don't count in this song). Can you imagine if Jason Swchartzman ever played Keith Moon in a movie? Both are drummers, and look like twins.

Yeah, I love that "Sparks" version. Roger has been trying to get a Moon biopic off the ground for years (which is somewhat ironic since Rog and Moonie weren't close). Mike Myers is involved, but he's far too old now to play a young Moon (who was always a very young looking kid until the booze and drugs starting ruining his looks by the early '70s). Myers would be a good as an older Moon though. Schwartzman is a perfect choice as a late '60s Moon. Good actor, solid drummer and a funny dude. Perfect!

rincon

I am very familiar with the Roger/Moon project. Mike Meyers? Never got that. I have read that it would not be a biopic, so much, but an account of what led up to his OD. Have you read the biography Moon? Pete refused to help, but pretty much everyone else contributed. I finished it not particularly liking my favorite musician. It appeared Keith really did not like Roger. Very selfish and irresponsible person. It is easy to make such judgments for me simply by the way he neglected his wife and daughter in order to have fun. But I have never seen a more entertaining musician in my life.

Jaimoe

Quote from: rincon on Jun 10, 2011, 08:36 AM
I am very familiar with the Roger/Moon project. Mike Meyers? Never got that. I have read that it would not be a biopic, so much, but an account of what led up to his OD. Have you read the biography Moon? Pete refused to help, but pretty much everyone else contributed. I finished it not particularly liking my favorite musician. It appeared Keith really did not like Roger. Very selfish and irresponsible person. It is easy to make such judgments for me simply by the way he neglected his wife and daughter in order to have fun. But I have never seen a more entertaining musician in my life.

You mean Tony Fletcher's Moon: The Life and Death of a Rock Legend? It's a must for any fans of rock. Brilliant biography, and you'll learn something about history too.

http://www.harpercollins.ca/books/Moon-Tony-Fletcher/?isbn=9780380788279

bumble

Live at Leeds is my favorite although the Zep dvd set from The Royal Albert Hall is unbelievable as well.  Just before or after 2nd record I believe.
I read somewhere that at Leeds there were mics under the stage and in a bathroom attached to the main room that were used in the final mix.  Maybe it was on the liner notes of the re-released disc a few years back. 
The who are not my fav band but that show is so great and has so much energy.  Sometimes magic just happens on stage, musicians can't know when it will happen but sometimes, "BAM!" there it is.
Conversely, The Isle of Wight show from later the same year, 1970, is brutally bad.

Jaimoe

Quote from: bumble on Jun 10, 2011, 12:26 PM

Conversely, The Isle of Wight show from later the same year, 1970, is brutally bad.

It's not much different. Same set list, similar arrangements. The biggest differences is The Who were messier, not mixed well (Moon's drums got buried), but they were noticably heavier than Leeds. I prefer Wight's "Young Man Blues" over Leeds and "Shakin' All Over" is just plain nasty. Watch it again and just try to tear your eyes away from Moon, bad mix or not. He's so fucking entertaining, especially in HD.

bumble

I have seen it and its fun to watch but Moon is a friggin mess.  He is movin around on his stool like he is in the matrix.  A lot of his fills suck and his time is even off at points.  It always makes me laugh watching him play w/o a hh though.  Pretty silly.

Jaimoe

Quote from: bumble on Jun 10, 2011, 12:43 PM
I have seen it and its fun to watch but Moon is a friggin mess.  He is movin around on his stool like he is in the matrix.  A lot of his fills suck and his time is even off at points.  It always makes me laugh watching him play w/o a hh though.  Pretty silly.

That is Moon. He couldn't really do a drum roll either. Moon was silly, but he certainly had a unique over-the-top style, which reflected his personality, and revolutionized the way cymbals were used in rock. Timing was always an issue with The Who because their showmanship caused mistakes. They didn't care. Moon could never sit still, but in many ways is the embodiment of rock & roll. I think his rolls during the late '60s are pre-punk things of beauty. Watch that video posted above of "Amazing Journey" and "Sparks". Actually, scroll through to "Sparks". It's what rock is all about and Moon is on fire. No wonder Stewart Copeland, Bonzo, Zack Starkey, Carl Palmer, Cozy Powell, Roger Taylor   etc... worshipped him.

bumble

He was def rock-n-roll and one of my fav drummers.  But I don't think his sloppiness is really all that excusable.  At times it takes away from the performance and when you know he is capable of so much more, its a bit disappointing.  I am not suggesting Bonham is  better because its all about musical preference, however, I have never heard Bonzo so sloppy that it subtracts from the band's overall performance.  And he was as rock-n-roll as it gets too. 
It most likely boils down to the degree of chemical abuse on a given night.
Anyway - Thanks for Halladay and I hope Drabek turns out for ya.

Jaimoe

Quote from: bumble on Jun 10, 2011, 02:03 PM
He was def rock-n-roll and one of my fav drummers.  But I don't think his sloppiness is really all that excusable.  At times it takes away from the performance and when you know he is capable of so much more, its a bit disappointing.  I am not suggesting Bonham is  better because its all about musical preference, however, I have never heard Bonzo so sloppy that it subtracts from the band's overall performance.  And he was as rock-n-roll as it gets too. 
It most likely boils down to the degree of chemical abuse on a given night.
Anyway - Thanks for Halladay and I hope Drabek turns out for ya.

Halladay is still revered by baseball and Jays fans in Canada. We knew what you were getting and I predicted he'd win the Cy Young in his first season in the NL. I think he'll win again this season. What, he has 5 CGs already and chews up innings and strike-outs, plus is a class act and unparalleled leader. Drabeck is having some growing pains, but he has the tools to be a dandy starter. Yankees, Red Sox suck ass.

Moon's drunkeness affected his performance for sure. I think one of his finest live moments came in The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus. When Moon had something to prove, he was fierce. I love his steady funk-influenced drumming on "Baby Don't You Do It" from the reboot of Who's Next, which is impressive since he was essentially a suped-up surf drummer. I love Bonzo too. Zeppelin put on some stunning shows as well as some snoozers (see The Song Remains the Same). Too bad Page has lost some of his chops. He didn't practice during a long stretch of the '80s. As someone who came out of hockey retirement after a 16-year layoff, getting back your chops is a struggle. I play guitar too and am rusty, but I can't understand not playing for a decade. Love Page too though.

Penny Lane

Spiritualized: Live from Royal Albert Hall
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

rincon

Quote from: Jaimoe on Jun 10, 2011, 11:52 AM
Quote from: rincon on Jun 10, 2011, 08:36 AM
You mean Tony Fletcher's Moon: The Life and Death of a Rock Legend? It's a must for any fans of rock. Brilliant biography, and you'll learn something about history too.

http://www.harpercollins.ca/books/Moon-Tony-Fletcher/?isbn=9780380788279
That's the one.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

ericm

Genesis - Seconds Out

All the rest of my faves are 2a,2b, 2c, etc.... The order changes, but never the albums. #1 never changes though, even after all these years.  :)
"Where's Jim going?"